Well, I took the plunge today and bought my first electric guitar. After reading many reviews for better or for worse I bought a Squire '51 for $100 with free shipping. I would have liked to have gotten the vintage blonde with a black pickguard but they didn't have any so I got a black with white pickguard. My reasons for buying a Squire '51 are as follows:

1) beginner guitar
2) cost/bang for the buck ($99.99 shipped)
3) variety of tones
4) good reviews
5) good choice for mods

As of yet I don't know how to set up the inclination or adjust the truss rod, however, that's the kind of thing I'm going to enjoy learning how to do with this inexpensive guitar. At some point I will probably paint it a nicer color, such as ocean turquoise like on the American Vintage ‘57 Strats. Might have to change that huge pickguard as well.

Now all I need is an amp.
I'd only make truss rod adjustments on it when it's your second guitar

But yeah, I hear they are a great guitar to mod, wouldn't mind getting one myself actually.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
When I get a second guitar I'm gonna take my squire fat strat apart, maybe I'll mod it somehow.
" What do I say to an Atheist who sneezes? "Uh, when you die nothing happens"?- Dane Cook
Congrats! You got any pics of it? Do you have any idea of what amp you are getting?
Quote by Mwoit
Congrats! You got any pics of it? Do you have any idea of what amp you are getting?
Thanks. Don't have any pics. Just ordered it online earlier today. Should look like this.

I have absolutely no idea of what amp I'm going to get yet. Something basic with reverb and chorus. I'm going to check some out tomorrow.

EDIT: I just read in another forum that there are people hoarding these things. A couple of them had seven of them!
Acoustics: Washburn D52SW, Yamaha FG730S
Electrics: Idol WI64D, Squier '51, Squier Standard Strat Ltd. Ed., Agile ST-1000, Epi Dot Studio
Amps: Epi Triggerman 60DSP, Vox AD30VT (w/Celestion G10 & Sovtek tube) & AD100VTH + V412BK
Last edited by Doctor Morbius at Mar 19, 2007,
I would also recommend let a pro do it. Most anyone you take it to will show you how its done. I tried fiddling with my first guitar and totally screwed up and needed a fixing.
Seeing as it is your 1st electric, shouldn't you be thinking about playing it first before anything else?
its pretty hard to screw up on truss rod adjustemts unless you just go in without having the slightest clue what you are doing and twist the crap out of it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by AngstRidden
Seeing as it is your 1st electric, shouldn't you be thinking about playing it first before anything else?
Good point. I have a feeling that playing it will just be part of the fun in my case.

Of course, if this thing plays OK right out of the box then I won't be attempting any adjustments, other than perhaps a string change. But if I like it I may get a second one just to take apart and start tinkering around with it for kicks.
Electrics: Idol WI64D, Squier '51, Squier Standard Strat Ltd. Ed., Agile ST-1000, Epi Dot Studio
Amps: Epi Triggerman 60DSP, Vox AD30VT (w/Celestion G10 & Sovtek tube) & AD100VTH + V412BK
Awesome guitar. I'm pretty jealous, i really love those things. I'd get one if my amp fund wasn't draining every penny in my pocket.
Sounds like a good 1st guitar, if your thinking of an amp that would just be for practising and bedroomk stuff sense your just starting, I could reccomend a Micro Cube, by Roland( if you didnt know) I got one for my first amp and it has alot of effects including reverb, chorus, tremelo and a fewmore plus good distorsion with a few clean options too.
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
good choice for a first guitar. a lot of people knock squiers, the ones i have played have been good, and i speak as a MIA standard strat owner.

as said above, don't mess about with the truss rod unless a) you really need to, and b) you know what you are doing. if you really need to mess with it, stick to bridge adjustments like action and intonation (i think this is what you meant instead of inclination).
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
The 51 is a great $100 guitar. If anyone is thinking of getting one I would say now is the time, cuz the 51 well is running dry. Ofcourse there will always be Ebay.
Thanks for everyone's input. I should receive the guitar sometime Friday. Hopefully FedEx will be gentle.

Went to Guitar Center today to check out amps and they had a few Squire '51's there. They didn't have any the past few times I've been there. Their selling price was $150 but they said they would price match provided I brought in a printout, which is an excellent policy.

I also bought my new amp today. It's pretty entry level and some of you'll have a good laugh and that's perfectly OK. I'm having a bit of a chuckle over it myself. Got a used Crate XT15R for $30.

The clean sounded OK and the reverb worked fine. The distortion wasn't all that hot but I probably won't use it much anyway. Oh yes, it has a funny smell to it kind of like Grandma's house. Anyway, it should suffice until I improve. One day I'll treat myself to some decent gear, provided I stick with it and make progress.

Again, thanks for everyone's input.