Alright, so today I was playing my bass (as you do) and then placed it down, resting against my bed like I always do. I then pick it back up a little later, and now I have fret buzz on the fourth and fifth frets of the E string. I've no idea why it's suddenly appeared, and I'm not entirely sure it is fret buzz I'm hearing, I've not had the problem before and am going with what I've read here.

I did a search, and read some previous threads about the problem and I saw the suggestion of adjusting the saddle when only one or two frets were invovled. It said use a mini allen key, where would I get one? Also, how would I go about adjusting the bridge? I've not it before, and don't want to risk having a problem as I have a show coming up. I can take it to a shop, but it would have to wait a week or two, and I don't really have the time. So, any help on this would be appreciated.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Check your Ibanez manual (I am gathering its your Ibanez bass); they should have instructions on how to adjust the saddle and the allen wrench size. The wrenches can be purchased at most hardware stores or music stores.

If you don't have your original manual, check the Ibanez web site. They have manuals out there from the dawn of time.
B&Q for allen keys, I bought me a nice set last month.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
This is my Ibanez, and I know I have the manual somewhere. I'll check it out.

As for allen keys, off to B&Q I go

-Matthew Arnold

Heres a tip: don't leave it on the floor, you might of mistreated it, now it's weird and buzzy.
-Member of the Bass Militia-

My gear:

Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Austin P-Style Bass
Hondo Strat
Digitech RP 100 artist
Crate Bx-25
Crate Gt-15

I left it for a while, went out, came back and now the buzz has extended from being the fourth and fifth to being from the third to the eleventh. I've no idea how this is happening.
Quote by RHCP-baSs fan
Heres a tip: don't leave it on the floor, you might of mistreated it, now it's weird and buzzy.

I've always kept it propped against my bed as the stand is too far away. I do a lot of playing for a few minutes, putting down, then playing again. But I haven't treated it any different than usual, and I usually treat it carefully.
Quote by anarkee
http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/el...614d987412c.pdf.

Here's a generic manual for Ibanez basses ...Good luck with the adjustment.

Cheers, had a read through. Now I need to get some allen keys.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by Dinkydaisy
I left it for a while, went out, came back and now the buzz has extended from being the fourth and fifth to being from the third to the eleventh. I've no idea how this is happening.

I've always kept it propped against my bed as the stand is too far away. I do a lot of playing for a few minutes, putting down, then playing again. But I haven't treated it any different than usual, and I usually treat it carefully.

Cheers, had a read through. Now I need to get some allen keys.

HEHEHEHEHEE ya it h8s u now.Mine did that to me wen i left it my bed.But anyways mine did that on the 1 and 2 frett and alls i did was change the action on it.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
=/ I'm guessing it's the weather, my room gets pretty hot then really cold for no reason, and the neck was colder than it usually is when I picke dit up. I have nine days to get this sorted, and knowing me, I won't find the time >.>

-Matthew Arnold

I got a couple of allen keys with my Ibanez when I bought it. Did yours not come with one?

Have you tried fretting the 5th fret on the E string and seeing if the string is making contact with the next fret? Is it just some vibration from the bass hardware - do you get the same buzzing when you play the open A? Do you get the same noise when you press against the bridge saddle and play that note? Try and narrow down exactly where the noise is coming from!
I believe that resting the neck of your bass against anything is not higher recommended, as this puts pressure on the neck, and can cause it do bow a bit. Perhaps this is the case here. If not, adjusting the bridge isn't hard at all. Mine didn't even need allen keys
Quote by smb
I got a couple of allen keys with my Ibanez when I bought it. Did yours not come with one?

Have you tried fretting the 5th fret on the E string and seeing if the string is making contact with the next fret? Is it just some vibration from the bass hardware - do you get the same buzzing when you play the open A? Do you get the same noise when you press against the bridge saddle and play that note? Try and narrow down exactly where the noise is coming from!

No, mine didn't come with any.

I just tried it again, it's now along all of the E and A strings. I tried pressing down on the bridge, still buzzed, and when I looked it didn't seem as though the string is touching other frets. I get the noise on all strings now, but loudest on the E and A, so I'm guessing it's not fret buzz. Any idea what it could be, other than hardware? How could I check if it is the hardware?

-Matthew Arnold

Have you checked if there is any bow in the neck? I doubt it could be a hardware problem, unless your room is damp or something, which I doubt it is
There's a slight bow on it, but nothing major.

-Matthew Arnold

Is that bow new? Or has it always been there? If it's new then that's probably the problem, but basses are fickle bastards, and **** up just before you have gigs. Always. Fiddling with the saddles might not be a good idea, unless you are sure that that is what is wrong.
I'm pretty sure it's the same bow as always. The action is noticably different when I look at it, and i would notice if the neck became bent. I have a show in nine days. Argh!

-Matthew Arnold

But when I sign on MSN, I always get too many people messaging me and it crashed >.>
What's your screenname, I'll talk to you with my status offline.

-Matthew Arnold

Ah, there you are

-Matthew Arnold