I was reading one of the posts in the archive of best threads which was discussing the point of anchoring. I have a couple of questions:

Does slightly resting your palm on the bridge to take the edge off distortion + string noise qualify as anchoring?

Are you supposed to float your hand even when playing fast runs?

Is resting your inner forearm on the guitar acceptable or is it better not to rest on the guitar at all?

-- I have already noticed a more ballsy, full sound from my guitar and easier picking through not resting my pinky on the scratchplate area, but I am unclear on the above and how far I am meant to take this new method ^

Thanks
i wouldn't recommend "resting" your arm anywhere as that will limit motion. i personally do float my hand during fast runs (in fact, unless im palm muting which is about 50/50 my hand is "floating") and i find it does make my movement far more economical. thanks for asking good questions about this as from time to time someone will post a "should i or shouldn't i anchor?" and we have a umpteen thousand page thread on that.
Quote by GreasedKrist
I was reading one of the posts in the archive of best threads which was discussing the point of anchoring. I have a couple of questions:

Does slightly resting your palm on the bridge to take the edge off distortion + string noise qualify as anchoring?

Are you supposed to float your hand even when playing fast runs?

Is resting your inner forearm on the guitar acceptable or is it better not to rest on the guitar at all?

-- I have already noticed a more ballsy, full sound from my guitar and easier picking through not resting my pinky on the scratchplate area, but I am unclear on the above and how far I am meant to take this new method ^

Thanks

1. No, as the tension is not excess tension, but is there with a cause and effect.

2. Yes.

3. The answer to this (if there is such a thing) is in the Anchor or no anchor thread, much more in depth than I am able to give you.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
^ +1 to Resilience's answers.

Muting is a necessary technique.
Anchoring for stability is not (and can even impede your progress).

However, it's still not really an entirely black & white issue (IMO).

Beginners will tend to anchor. That's because you have absolutely NO arm control
starting out and resting your hand on the guitar for stability makes picking easier.
But, what seems like a beneficial aid at first, will eventually turn into a crutch. If
you keep your hand anchored you may NEVER learn the proper arm control you'll need
to advance your picking. Your progress will most likely be impeded. So, until you learn
the proper arm control, I'd advise NOT touching the guitar (or strings) at all. When
you do learn it (you'll know it when you get there), it doesn't really matter anymore.
^ yeah i definately recommend not doing any kind of anchoring either, it will impede you further down the road. i personally had to spend about 6 months correcting going from anchor to unanchor and now i'm SOOOO much faster than i was before there isn't even a comparison (and i was fairly quick before) i recommend not really "resting" your arm really anywhere, but if your arm happens to be pressed up against the body naturally that is fine i think, i do that all the time, but i wouldn't consider it resting as if i need to move it, theres no problem with that
Okay thanks.
Listen, I hate to say, but could someone re-post their videos of oscillatory picking - I've looked through all the previous articles on it but the links seem to have expired. I think the videos were made by freepower?
Blah, this whole thing is confusing...
Most people say you shouldnt anchor, yet most of my favourite shredder anchor, and some of em even say it's nescesary