Alright so my Birthday is coming up in 3 months and I need to decide if I should replace my amp or my guitar. Right now I have a Line 6 flextone 3 amp with the FBV shortboard and a Fender american highway 1 strat. I play mostly rock with distortion If I want to play clean I use my acoustic. So what should I buy a new amp or a new guitar? I got $1000 to use give or take a little.
amp...amp...amp. If you really wanted to, you could find a good used or even new tube amp for that price.
the lesser known of the 4
give us some bands you like?

By the look of the bands in your avatar maybe a jcm800 combo, if you can find one close to you.
the lesser known of the 4
Last edited by 5thhorseman at Mar 19, 2007,
Quote by RG_FANMAN
I wish I got 1000 bucks for my birthday.....:'(

I dont get $1000 maybe $500 but if I sell my other gear and contribute some money I can get something a little over $1000.
Quote by 5thhorseman
give us some bands you like?

By the look of the bands in your avatar maybe a jcm800 combo, if you can find one close to you.

I'm not really a big G'N'R fans I just like Slashes guitar work I'm into Punk and I like solo stuff as well a Satriani lead tone would be good.
Quote by Dobzilla
Dsl401?

I here they have overheating probelms and I was think more like a used half stack.....
Quote by phungar
rich spoilt bastards

I can assure you I'm not spoiled I work for my stuff I just get presents for my birthday and christmas dont we all.....
Quote by Osiris77
I'm not really a big G'N'R fans I just like Slashes guitar work I'm into Punk and I like solo stuff as well a Satriani lead tone would be good.

I should probably specify the punk thing, Propagandhi, Rancid, Swingin Utters, Lagwagon, No use for a Name, Social Distortion, etc....
Quote by OsirisProtocol
Vox AC30 or a Traynor YCV50 or 80.

I checked out the Traynor YCV80 and it looks good anyone have any experience with one?
The legendary but seldom seen quadruple post!

Upgrade your amp. I couldn't give you advice as to what one, though. Cheers.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by Osiris77
I checked out the Traynor YCV80 and it looks good anyone have any experience with one?

I owned one. Thats why i recommended it along with its little bro. I haven't played the YCV50 though.

Here is a review I wrote awhile back about the amp:
The clean channel is amazing. It has that Fenderish/Voxish tone. It’s more on the Fender side though. Just turn up the volume and you got a great clean tone but then when you tweak the eq the possibilities seem endless. It can go from bright and sparkly to dark and deep cleans and anything in between. I honestly love the clean channel to the point of which I would throw an overdrive pedal over it and use the clean channel’s clarity to tighten everything up. This amps clean channel was built for the best clean versatility possible. You won’t need any chorus to help this clean channel out as it rocks on its own. I am not sure when it breaks up lol. It does react to your playing and become either more suddle or more pronounced depending on your picking and fretting. The amps sheer power won’t let me push it too far in the setting I have had. After all am not gigging stadiums.

The distortion is great also. It isn’t heavy metal but it can be easily with a good OD pedal of your choice. The distortion is a lot better then the little brothers in the Traynor line. Nice and thick to sharp and biting if you take the time to tweak it. The more you crank it the better it gets though. When we finally got the chance to record in a sound proof room I pushed it hard and had those tubes going. It was that creamy buttery distortion that reacts to your picking. It can just about do light metal when cranked but not heavy stuff.

The features are great also. Parallel and serial effects loops. I run my tuner and none tone effecting pedals through the serial. I ran my other effects through the parallel. Then some went straight through my chain. Making your chain and loops depends on your own tastes. It took some experimenting to get it the way I want. I sold most of my pedals though as I am going for quality over versatility.

My only problem with the amp is the sheer power. The sound proof room took some damage because of it. I had the amp against the wall and it cracked the wall. None of us realized it till I moved the amp. I don’t think I will need to hook it up to a cab or mic it at all. It’s kind of scary since I never played with anything so powerful but it is a rush.

In short I love this amp to bits. It does everything I want easily and without a hassle. I don’t mind the power but I might have to get a smaller amp or attenuator for private practice.

Hope I helped.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
Yeah that helped alot so its really powerful well do you think it would be alright to get the 50 watt or is the 80 a big difference in quailty?
The Flextone's not a bad amp, but it's probably not ideal for your style. You'll be fine with the 50 watt Traynor....80 watts will have a slight overall volume increase and more headroom but if you don't play clean much you don't want that. Besides, you'll be hard pushed to use 50 watts of tube power, let alone 80.

that'll leave you money left over to buy a spare guitar...get something with humbuckers, maybe an RG321 or something similar to give you a contrast to the strat.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
go for a vox great tone and the fx are awesome and the distortion makes yout head explode
*Guitars*

Fender Standard Strat

Ibanez DT155

Ibanez RG2EX1

*Amps*

Peavey Classic 50

*Effects*

Boss MT2 Metal Zone

Danelectro Fab Chorus

Danelectro Fab Flanger
The greatest musician ever (my grandfather ) once told me:

"A good guitar can only make a bad amp only sound so good. Only a great amp can make a good guitar sound great."

Buy an amp.

O ya, and you have an American Strat already!!! What were you thinking of upgrading too??

Buy the amp
Alirght so popular opinion is the amp but lets just say I decied to get a guitar hypotetically would a RGA Prestige or an SZ presitege be better for Joe satriani tone?
Last edited by Osiris77 at Mar 21, 2007,
Quote by Osiris77
Yeah that helped alot so its really powerful well do you think it would be alright to get the 50 watt or is the 80 a big difference in quailty?

You would be fine with the 50. I think you said you don't play clean much and the 50 would suit you nicely because of that. Clean channel is still great just less headroom. Plush it is harded to saturate an 80watt amp for that beautiful tube distortion.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
I own the Traynor YCV50, and it is a great amp. OsirisProtocol basically covered everything in his review of the 80. Realistically, you'd never need more than 50 watts of power. By the time you're playing a venue that needs more than that, you'll be mic'ed over a PA system anyways. One other thing to mention is that the 50 and up have master volume, which is very useful so you can get the same tone at reasonable volumes. The 40's and smaller don't have that.

The stock tubes (3 Sovtek 12AX7's, 2 Electro-Harmonix EL-34's) are actually pretty good considering they're just stock tubes. I put some Tung-Sol 12AX7's and two Svetlana EL-34's in and it makes the amp even better. You don't really need to, though, if you'd rather spend the 80 bucks towards another guitar or something.
I have a crap load of guitar. Some high end models.
Have a full stack create that i used to drag around everywhere.

My favorite gutiar at the momet ..mmm a bronze warlock going through the GT8.
the warlock is not the greatest guitar in the world, but i adjusted the neck to
a pretty sweet action setting. It has dents and scrathes ...but i don't care.
I cry if i my RR or Kelly gets a scrath on it though.

I learned off of a sears and robuck purchase at a garage sale.
You learn to obtain tone or master technique.lol

The gt8 is great, plenty of amp tones and effects.
It also has a input signal adjustment to compensate for the bronze stock pick ups.
defintely upgrade ur amp. i have a little amp thats no good. i need to get a bigger $600 amp with bottom and tube
Quote by Osiris77
Alirght so popular opinion is the amp but lets just say I decied to get a guitar hypotetically would a RGA Prestige or an SZ presitege be better for Joe satriani tone?

???