Page 1 of 3
So today I begun creating my 2x12 cabinet. I opted out of using a frame as i'm using a nice strong pine for the structure.

Today, me and my dad got the wood cut to size but then the drill bit snapped so we couldn't pilot hole the wood.

More tommorow.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
12" Eminence Private jack's. Still got to buy them yet, I think I will make the rest of the cabinet, buy the amp and then the speakers.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

I am also atm building a 2x12 cab. Though I am using a harder wood than pine to keep it as stiff as possible. However I havn't decided on a speaker, though I'm thinking a G12T-75 atm.
Last edited by Schecter1277 at Mar 19, 2007,
^I would put blocks for support in the corners of your joints, if they're mitered. inless you've got some kind of mortise joint going on, then it's probably okay.

TS, what are you covering it with, piping?, etc.
Last edited by Reincaster at Mar 19, 2007,
Quote by Reincaster
^I would put blocks for support in the corners of your joints, if they're mitered. inless you've got some kind of mortise joint going on, then it's probably okay.

The front will be marshall speaker cover cloth, the sides will be plywood so it doesn't warp and it's nice and rigid. I am gonna stain it almond so it looks nice and pretty.
Here's the amp that's going on top, it's 100w, and I want only 2 speakers so it's loud, but just not loud enough so I have to crank it, and get that power tube overdrive.

It's the black and white head. The white one is a crate palomino 15w, I suggest everyone own this amp, it's absolutly marvelous and suprises me everyday with the tone I can out of it. Not to brag.

Quote by Reincaster

It has 2 4 inch long deck screws in every angle, that thing is going no where.
Quote by Schecter1277
The front will be marshall speaker cover cloth, the sides will be plywood so it doesn't warp and it's nice and rigid. I am gonna stain it almond so it looks nice and pretty.
Here's the amp that's going on top, it's 100w, and I want only 2 speakers so it's loud, but just not loud enough so I have to crank it, and get that power tube overdrive.

It's the black and white head. The white one is a crate palomino 15w, I suggest everyone own this amp, it's absolutly marvelous and suprises me everyday with the tone I can out of it. Not to brag.

It has 2 4 inch long deck screws in every angle, that thing is going no where.

I've got the same amp! It's so awesome! best $400 I ever spent on guitar. Its 120 watt, btw.

you know, the amount of speakers isn't going to determine wether or not you can crank it or not. While having more speakers will project better, it won't make your setup louder by alot. you'll achieve the same amount of overdrive on one speaker, but two will ease up the load on your output transformer. I can run a Valve Junior head into a 4x12 OR a 1x12 and still get power tube overdrive. I've even run the Windsor through a single eminence heat and have still got the same tonal quality no matter how many speakers I've got. It just sounds fuller with more.
Last edited by Reincaster at Mar 20, 2007,
So, here's a picture of the structure, it's pretty solid and with the baffle and back it will be fine.

Just a question about the baffle holes. On the eminence, it says that the hole needs to be 10.97" but the speakers are 12". Wouldn't that mean that there would be a big gap?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

I'm going to be starting on my cab this week-end/start of holidays. I've got the amp already though!!

To keep the thread on topic:
Would it be ok to simply nail the panels together and put 4 2x4s in each horizontal instead of making a full frame?

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Mine doesn't have a frame, those 2x1s are just for the baffle and back to screw to. What I have done is screwed and glued.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

So we got the back and front on today, looks really good. What needs done is cutting the holes in the front. We tried lots of ideas and failed. Anybody got any ideas?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Quote by Lordoflax
So we got the back and front on today, looks really good. What needs done is cutting the holes in the front. We tried lots of ideas and failed. Anybody got any ideas?

what kind of tools do you have?, that would help.

those poplar strips are still part of a frame. I use poplar strips instead of 2x4s. I find it much cleaner and lighter. I also use biscuits to join the butt joints. one of the bes things you can do is add those strips in the corners, running from back to front. That would lessen the strain of the amp head.
Last edited by Reincaster at Mar 22, 2007,
Well we tried using a coping saw but it was too small for certain sections. We then tried a rotary tool but because of the pressure it burnt out

I'm guessing the best would be to go for a fret saw as they are a bigger version of a coping saw pretty much.

Would a dremel do it? like with a really small drill bit and sort of 'draw' around it?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

I would use a jig saw and the router the edges for a finished edge on the outside edges.
Mark
i used a jig saw.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I use a jigsaw and a circle attachment. those are pretty easy to find. its something of a compass and it attaches to your sabre/jigsaw.
My dad made up a jig for his router where you fix the jig to the center point of the circle, adjust it to half the circles diameter, and it cuts perfectly round holes everytime. It was probably only an hour of work to make the jig - he used some perspex we had lying around so you can see if you've adjusted to the right point.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by forsaknazrael
..So like tie a string or something that's equal to the radius to the jigsaw, and cut away?

That's one way of doing it
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by forsaknazrael
Oh. Well, I just didn't really get what you were saying, haha. What's perspex?

EDIT: Oh, to the router! I missed that you were using a router. Wanna make a diagram?

I would but, me = here, router = 550km away I'll see if I can steal his trade secrets when I go back for Easter holidays. Perspex is like plexiglass (I think that's what you crazy Yanks call it).
EDIT: Just checked on Wikipedia. Perspex = Plexiglass
Last edited by the_random_hero at Mar 24, 2007,
Thanks guys, I think we will have to use our router.

Ordered the speakers yesterday.

2x Vintage 30's

Should be here by the end of the week.

Im pretty stumped on what finish to give the cab. I don't particulary want to spend alot on the finish. As for viynls, they come in stupid measurements that are way too small for the cab.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

^^^^We are gona have one similar sounding rig my friend haha.

TT, with homemade 2x12 Vinatge 30 cabs. Remember. IT WAS MY IDEA EH!

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
What you finishing your cab with? I'm debating if I should paint it or something else.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

I have a design in my head but its not coming out till its finished!

But yes Im using paint, I wouldnt use dye unless u have mittre joints coz itll soak up on exposed plank edges into the grain..

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Ill most likely paint. I wanted to use viynal/Tolex but the prices for it are a bit high, and for what I want the size seems to be funny.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Just cut the baffle holes out. Just gotta wait for the speakers to come now.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Jigsaw. A little in accurate but a bit of sanding does the job.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

So the speakers came 2x vintage 30s. Can't wait to get this cab finished.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Thats looking amazing man! I have a 1973 Garnet that I have no cab for, so I think I will build a cab too. I was looking at eminence speakers, wondering if they were good quality. Anyway keep us posted, that looks awesome!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Yes they are good quality speakers. Ive heard that some people only like them for replacing combos. But don't quote me on that. I was originally going for eminence until I got these v 30's very cheap.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Just a quick question about electronics. What is a good wire thickness to use? Also, can I use a mono jack? i.e 2 lugs.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Quote by Lordoflax
Just a question about the baffle holes. On the eminence, it says that the hole needs to be 10.97" but the speakers are 12". Wouldn't that mean that there would be a big gap?

It says cut the whole 10.97" ... The speakers are 12"
and since

10.97" < 12"

how in the hell would that leave a gap? If anything it would
be a really tight fit instead of leaving a gap
Quote by fragydig529
It says cut the whole 10.97" ... The speakers are 12"
and since

10.97" < 12"

how in the hell would that leave a gap? If anything it would
be a really tight fit instead of leaving a gap

Thats been done. Ive already cut the baffle now.

I need to no what wire to use and can I use a mono jack?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

To connect the speakers just use regular speaker wire, available at home depot or Im sure a guitar or sound specialty store.

Yeah, you use a mono jack. From the mono jack, inside the cabinet, connect each of the two sides of your speaker wire to there respective prongs, and there ya go.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
But i'm wiring it in parallel.

Therefore, don't I need to 'hot' points? I.e a stereo.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

What impendance are your speakers, why would you wire in parrallel?

If they're 8Ohm wire them in series to make 16Ohm, if they're both 16 then...you have a total impendance of 8Ohm.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Quote by Lordoflax
But i'm wiring it in parallel.

Therefore, don't I need to 'hot' points? I.e a stereo.

Most speakers have two negative and two positive tabs. just wire from there instead of the jack, less solder to clump up.
Page 1 of 3