I'm looking for a tube amp head that can do pretty much any style of music from jazz to metal. I don't really want any on board effects (pedals can take care of that), just a nice clean tone. Any ideas of a couple I should look in to?
Im not sure what price range you are in but some good all around amps are the jsx, mesa dual rectifier, and mesa mark IV. Those would be my best choice.
well if ur gonna use fx pedals, look into a fender amp
Ltd EC-400
Ibanez GRX40
Yamaha FD02
M-Audio Black Box
Marshall MG15CDR
so wait... you want a tube head that does everything from jazz to metal.... but it only needs to have a nice clean tone?
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Peavey JSX?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by This_Kidd
so wait... you want a tube head that does everything from jazz to metal.... but it only needs to have a nice clean tone?

i think he means that he doesnt mind if the clean channel doesnt have any effects on it, so long as the cleans are ok. i think he does plan on using the OD also.
Mesa Mark IV, great amps that can do anything

-Axe
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
As stated above, Mesa Mark IV. Do yourself a favor and check it out.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by This_Kidd

Maybe he has pedals. Just like me, i don't care about the amount of gain, just how good the clean tone is. You can dirty up a sound easily but you can never clean it up... (i think)
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
Last edited by Kunundrum at Mar 19, 2007,
^But he wants to play metal, and I don't think pedals within $150 will make a Fender sound like a 5150.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Well my friend, prepare to part with a great deal of money because the only thing I can think of right now are high-end amps. I'd recommend you try the following...

Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Roadster
Mesa Road King
Hughes & Kettner TriAmp
Randall MTS100M loaded with something like the Ultra, JTM and Blackface modules
Carvin V3

I wouldn't recommend any other Mesa Recto model except the trem-o-verb, as the other rectos really lack a decent clean tone and the overdrive feels buzzy and harsh (to my ears anyway).
Quote by aznrockerdude
^But he wants to play metal, and I don't think pedals within $150 will make a Fender sound like a 5150.

Ooh darn. 150? Yep, you're right. You'll need lots of gain for that O_O....

Sansamp?
Bogner Ecstacy
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
^ lol - that is even more expensive than a Mark IV.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Well, the plan was to find one that sounded good that wasn't too complex, hence no onboard effects, that I could build myself. I've got an engineer friend who says we could do it as a project fairly easy, so I'm looking for something simple with a good clean sound figuring that any effects will just be pedals. I was just going to look into the suggestions, try out a few in the store, and then find the schematic for the one that I liked best. So far I'm thinking about the H&K Triamp or the Mark IV for quality, but the Fender and Peavy schematics do look a little simpler. I'll just have to see what my friend thinks is do-able. Thank you all for the ideas.
Quote by Kunundrum
Ooh darn. 150? Yep, you're right. You'll need lots of gain for that O_O....

Sansamp?

Does it accurately sound like a 5150 100%?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Look at the visual sounds workhorse or pony. It is expensive for a one channel amp, but it sounds sweet. Try one out if that's all you need.

EDIT: If you have the pedals.
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Quote by aznrockerdude
Does it accurately sound like a 5150 100%?

well you want an amp that does it all right? You won't get 100% anything from that amp. but the sansamp is amazingly cool
I've heard it could get close enough though .
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yes it does. Quite close. You can even play it straight into the PA and it sounds great.