Hi guys, I play in a metal band, and i've been playing bass for 8 months now. It's a Hartke bass from a pack and i like it, i was just planning ahead about getting my next bass.

So I thought maybe my next bass could be a five string, which are used a lot in metal. So has anyone got any comments about the transition from 4 to 5 strings. What is the spacing like, the size of the neck is bigger surely? Did you/ do you use your 5th string and do you recommend switching?

Much appreciated,

Bullet
signature
Bullet, if you really want to get a new bass, have a look at the Ibanez site as a few of their 5-strings has the same spacing. Personally though, I'd get a bigger amp of your own
I used to use a fiver, and I found it alright. The neck's a bit bigger, and the string spacing is a bit tighter, but people may prefer that.

I mainly used the B for tapping and droning notes, but also used it for the low end provided.

It's pretty hard in the beginning, but eventually you can play 4, 5, or 6 without a problem.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend it.
Quote by Chimpy101
Bullet, if you really want to get a new bass, have a look at the Ibanez site as a few of their 5-strings has the same spacing. Personally though, I'd get a bigger amp of your own

ha ha yes, I think i will definately prioritise getting a better amp first! But 5 string basses intrigue me.
signature
I'd go and play a load and see what feels comfortable. I changed to 5 not long ago and it's great. But if it isn't for you, it's better to find that out before shelling out for a new bass!

How come there are so many guys from Devon in the bass forum now?
Most 5-strings have smaller spaces between strings, making it harder to slap and pop if you do that. When I got my 5 it took a little while to get used to but I'm fine with it now, though i rarely use the low B, so make sure you will use it before you buy it.
Quote by smb
How come there are so many guys from Devon in the bass forum now?

Probably 'cos there is nothing to do in Devon, and the fact that as the West Country is awesome, bassists are attracted to it, as bassists are awesome. Also, there are enough guitarists in Devon for the whole of the country
Quote by Chimpy101
Probably 'cos there is nothing to do in Devon, and the fact that as the West Country is awesome, bassists are attracted to it, as bassists are awesome. Also, there are enough guitarists in Devon for the whole of the country

Chimpy is right. There are PLENTY of guitarists here.
signature
i use my 5th string ALL the time it allows me to stay in one position on the neck. and also you will use it whenever .. well you need to hit the note lower than the 4ths string can provide.

it feals bigger and girthyer .. um spaceing varys some are huge spaceing ( like fender 5s) some are tight liek ibanez SRs most are in the middle.

the real test to see if you "need" a 5 string is if all the bass liens you wish you could play or want to learn are all on 5 string bass

or you just see one and you play one and you go " i gadda get me one"
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
It's really not that difficult of a change. I got used to it in a few days of getting my 5-string.