One thing I've been doing a lot at the moment is playing along to the entire ramones discography in a single setting.

It's a nice little endurance challenge, and the best way to spend the downtime hours when you can't sleep.

Usually, I find that by the end of the s/t lp, my hand starts to hurt, and so far my record has been making it to suzy is a headbanger before I can't physically play any more without needing a couple minutes break. My left hand is letting me down

Anyone else done this, and if so, what is your record?

The basic rules are that you have to play the entire barre chords with all downstrokes for as long as you can without a rest in between songs.

EDIT: i suppose you can have a few minutes in between albums.
Last edited by BrianApocalypse at Mar 19, 2007,
Well, I have the entire first album memorized, but I've never tried playing a bunch of albums back to back.

I broke my wrist last year and I never properly rehabed it, but I played Ramones songs to get my wrist's strength back...
fair play.

I've realised that there could be some confusion as to how many songs are included on the album, I'm playing all the extra tracks from the remasted version too.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
fair play.

I've realised that there could be some confusion as to how many songs are included on the album, I'm playing all the extra tracks from the remasted version too.

Ooh, a showoff eh?

I don't have those memorized...
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
Ooh, a showoff eh?

I don't have those memorized...

Not so much showing off as protecting my credibility

If I played all the extra tracks on leave home... that would be showing off.

Two albums, a set of outtakes and a full live set. That'd take a fair bit of skill.
oh man i play along with ramones albums all the time when im just chllin late at night. its not that easy to play an entire album straight through.
i might try to do it on bass, later. but it'll probably be easier since i'll be using my fingers instead of a pick.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
There was a period where basically all I listened to was the Ramones, and it was during that period that I became the king of the downstroke. I can downstroke just as fast as Johnny Ramone can on all the live albums, and especially the fast songs, and I can do it faster, too. I can do it as fast as the drum machine on my dad's Digitech pedal goes.
That's cool.

I'm pretty shit with downstrokes, because a lot of the stuff I play uses brian setzer picking.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
That's cool.

I'm pretty shit with downstrokes, because a lot of the stuff I play uses brian setzer picking.

Yeah, I like that stuff too. I kinda moved away from the downstrokes now, and currently I'm working on getting really fast at alternate picking.
unfortunately these days i don't get very much time to practice guitar, because I'm always busy working on other aspects of my music.
man instead of trying playing through ramones albums i want you guys to play through Cryptopsy songs, see how many you can get through in a row.

i got through one song.

btw they are Quebec death metal
I can't even mke it to the end of a single song before my wrist starts to hurt, and It screams in pain by the end of the first record.
i probably got to did disk one (skipping baby i love you and danny says coz i aint learned them) them a few tracks into rocket to Russsia then i gave in

i also kinda cheated coz i didnt do the full barres on now i wanna sniff some glue and Locket Love
L E T S G O F U C K I N C R A Z Y ! ! ! !

Quote by lavazza
I don´t think I´m the next Hendrix but without a band it is too boring to play ramones, but if you have a band Blitzkrieg Bop is the first song you have to play and then Now I wanna sniff some glue...

I wouldn't advise anyone to be an exact replica outside of a gimmick.

Playing along to the ramones is a great thing to do for practice, because the more endurance you have, the longer you can spend playing poorly for fatigue reasons.
Quote by Ska Wars
i might try to do it on bass, later. but it'll probably be easier since i'll be using my fingers instead of a pick.

when i used to play bass with a pick (i since changed to fingers) i was able to play all of the s/t and most of a greatest hits cd i have that's like 30 tracks on it. I think i might be able to do it now but i don't really know

Quote by pinheadslts75
I can't even mke it to the end of a single song before my wrist starts to hurt, and It screams in pain by the end of the first record.

If I do full barres and all downstrokes.

If I'm using my usual sloppy style then it's easy.
Once when I was busking I played a load of Misfits albums back to back, and my band are playing a Ramones tribute gig at some point, so we'll have to try that.
I can't play any Ramones songs. I struggle with blitzkrieg bop
Sh*t, I never realized how hard Ramones songs were to play. My arm was tired by the time I finished the intro to Blitzkrieg Bop.
EDIT: I never play all downstrokes, no matter how slow I'm playing, so I got to work on that I guess.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Mar 26, 2007,
I kind of get bored of playing ramones songs after like two songs but I don't think I could do an album all the way through. I'm okay with downstrokes, like if I just go a little past the strings I'm great but yeah. Usually I do an alternate picking type of thing when just playing straight rhythms.
I just tried doing it on the first album, and my phone rang as Judy Is a Punk was finishing, so that's where I stopped. I think I could probably get through Chainsaw before I get really tired though.
brnh.bandcamp.com