What do you think the best Computer Program is for: Multi-track recording, track mastering, or just all around music stuff?

Examples:

Cakewalk Pro-Audio,
Sound Forge,
Ableton Live,
Fruity Loops,
Audacity,
ect.

And if you can tell me what the best all around program for multi-tracking, without a M-Audio interface. Out of: Cakewalk, Ableton live, or Audacity. Thanks.
Last edited by brantlymurphy at Mar 19, 2007,
It's Audacity btw spelling-wise and of the examples you've given i don't know what to suggest though I do use Audacity as it's a popular free program and given my recording equipment being fairly cheap, i like how easy it is to do stuff with Audacity and get it sounding really good by making small changes to things. I have heard Ableton Live is good though. To be honest I (like most people I imagine) would say the best computer recording programs are Logic and Pro Tools. They are the industry standard programs. Cubase is also pretty good, though i personally don't like the interface Cubase has.

Edit: in answer to your final question i'd say Audacity is probably the best option there.
Logic Pro 7, after that Cubase, next, maybe Digital Performer. Protools is somewhere on my list, but I do not personally care much for it. No offense, but you asked the best computer music program and listed some of the lowest level ones out there (minus soundforge, which is wonderful at the price). Ableton live is more meant for DJ's who need to be able to sample, and perform various midi functions on the fly - not mainly meant for recording. If you want a free program - Reaper pwns all!
Audacity - why are we even talking about the best sequencing software out there. "Audacity" and "best" should not be in the same sentence. It gets the job done (but Reaper does so much better), but its like comparing a 20 year old Hyndai to a brand new Ferrari - the two should not even be compared.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

to be perfectly honest, the best program is the one you are most comfortable with. i bet that if you give someone who knows audacity a computer with that and cubase, they would make something better in audacity. not because it is a better program, but because they know how to use it and are comfortable with it. i personally use FL for all my mixing and sequencing, but would never record with it. i know other people swear by cubase or traction or logic pro or reason.

heres what you do. download a few free demos of all these programs, and spend a bit of time with each. then buy the one you feel most comfortable with. list of programs with some links can be found here
i use FL to create my backing track and record all my stuff with adobe audition..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

out of your list, soundforge by far. you need alot more than good software to get a good sound though.
i'm a fan of Nuendo which is a rival to pro tools, but again its not free or cheep. The said thing is i was able to get it free, but don't have much use for it
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Cakewalk Sonar for mastering, looping, sequencing, and recording. FL Studio for synthesis.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Ok I agree with Jof1029 - obviously a piece of software that you do not know how to use is utterly useless, and you are better off sticking with something you know. I was merely rating them on a basis off of ease of workflow/ over the quality of plugins bundled with the software. For me Logic has the best combination of the two, but that is all just personall preference.

As most engineers will tell you - it just becomes a matter of choosing which one you are most comfortable with, as you can always buy second hand plugins (if you have money - which not all of us do ). This why (once again as Jof1029 suggested) you should download the demos of a bunch and see which one you find least prohibiting to your workflow. However, you will probably need to read up on a bunch before using - as many of the top level ones do have a somewhat steep learning.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

The minute I loaded up pro-tools...

I knew why people have professions in these things... its just amazing the details that go into it
Quote by jof1029
to be perfectly honest, the best program is the one you are most comfortable with. i bet that if you give someone who knows audacity a computer with that and cubase, they would make something better in audacity. not because it is a better program, but because they know how to use it and are comfortable with it. i personally use FL for all my mixing and sequencing, but would never record with it. i know other people swear by cubase or traction or logic pro or reason.

heres what you do. download a few free demos of all these programs, and spend a bit of time with each. then buy the one you feel most comfortable with. list of programs with some links can be found here

+1 so true.
if i had to pick, fruity loops and audacity. they work perfectly together.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
of those, probably fruity loops, but of all the programmes out there, if i had a mac - logic 7 hands down - its just incredible, if not then cubase SX3, thats what i do all my recording on at the moment - i haven't yet justified my need for a mac - and i think although it takes some working out its great for everything, though it is pricey.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Protools and I never really meshed - it just never seemed very intuitive, even after using it on multiple occasions. I don't mean to say that it is not great software - it is just subjectively not my favorite. Also another thing I don't like is that for a lot of people it is the only big name in recording software they know - and I see smaller studios getting Protools rigs to compete with the bigger studios in an attempt at working with bands that have only heard of the ubiquitous "Protools".

Its like Neumann and vocal mics - singers will come rushing to your studio if they find out you have a Neumann mic - even if it is a cheaper Neumann, or wouldn't even wouldn't even complement their voice anyways. Personally I would take many cheaper mics over the Neumann for many applications - but does that grab customers attention based off your gear - no! It does however enable you to create music to the best of your ability - and that is what I think the software is all about - choosing the one that allows you to create music to the best of your ability.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

I reckon Cubase SX 3, if I ever become able to figure that f*cker out... And after that, how ironic it might sound: Magix Music Maker 2007 Deluxe
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

Logic, Ableton Live and Garageband 3 (I'm on a Mac).
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
In my VERY limited experience recording directly to my computer, i used Audacity, and it got the job done after fighting with it a bit.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Silky Smooth
And just think audacity is one of the easier ones to use!

yes very easy to use but once you export your recordings to mp3 it doesn't sound too good..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots