I have a jsx but when its turned up really loud i tend to not have as much gain as i would like. I would like to know what pedal i could buy to just give that little bit more gain and tighten up the sound. I have heard that overdrive pedals tighten up your sound but i hear that they also give more of a vintage tone which i dont want so im sort of confused. Any help is appreciated.
When turned up loud, you don't have enough gain? That just seems wrong. Your power amp should distort around then, adding to any preamp gain you already have, and making your tone freakin' massive. But to answer your question, you can use an OD to tighten it up. If you use it in front of your already distorted tone, you won't get too much a vintage flavor (if that's what you're in to). Or maybe try a clean boost pedal. Either one should work.
The JSX has a completely unnecessary amount of gain. If you need more, you have a technique problem.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
The JSX has a completely unnecessary amount of gain. If you need more, you have a technique problem.

lol yes. +1
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Archeo Avis

This is true, but at the same time putting an OD in front of the amp does not sound the same as simply turning the amps gain up that much higher.

Anyway, you might want to look into a Maxon OD9, or an OD808, they're both great OD pedals, also the BB preamp kicks insane amounts of ass and will really tighten thing's up for you.
You can mix gains as well, a 50/50 from the pedal and the amps gain. Lots of players do that.