Okay, so I just bought the Real Book Hal Leonard Sixth Edition. Just from glancing at the index I would say there is at least 200 songs and I don't know where to begin. What songs do I need to look at? I guess I'm a beginner so don't recommend me anything too complex. Someone please help me.
Your best bet is to start off with something modal, or perhaps a jazz blues, i.e. So What, Impressions, All Blues, Blue Monk, etc...

After that, maybe go on to some easier standards such as Autumn Leaves, Blue Bossa, Take Five, Black Orpheus, ...

All the way through to Spain, Giant Steps and Stella By Starlight!
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
Your best bet is to start off with something modal, or perhaps a jazz blues, i.e. So What, Impressions, All Blues, Blue Monk, etc...

After that, maybe go on to some easier standards such as Autumn Leaves, Blue Bossa, Take Five, Black Orpheus, ...

All the way through to Spain, Giant Steps and Stella By Starlight!

Yeah, this is definitely good advice. You might also check out Straight, No Chaser and All the Things You Are if you're looking for some more specific recommendations. All the ones listed above work well and aren't very hard.

And Autumn Leaves is pretty much THE jazz standard. It's quite simple, yet extremely effective for practicing.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
All of what was said above are great choices. My favorite of all of those is 'All the Things You Are'. It was the first jazz standard I learned, and I absolutely love it.

But ya, Blue Bossa, Autumn Leaves, Take Five are all great choices to start off with.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help