I had a lot of great ideas for how to name this topic, but decided against it.... anyway, I recently replaced the stock saddles on my MIM strat with graphtech Ferraglides, at the same time I strung it up with DR pure nickel 12-52 strings. Pleased as I am with the saddles and the strings, there's one problem I just noticed, and don't think I noticed before today... my G string sounds very, very dull compared to the others. Plugged in or not, open or fretted anywhere, playing the G string just sounds like a thud. It still sustains and whatnot, it just sounds dull.

The string in question is a .024 g string, nickel-wound (not a plain string, it's wound, like the d a e strings). The action is not too low, as I play with insanely high action anyway. And, it's not 1 pickup, I tried all 5 positions with the same result. One possibility I have in mind is that since this string is a lot thicker than normal, maybe its too tight in the nut, but I don't see how that could affect a fretted note. So, anyone have any ideas as to why my g string sounds so bad?
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Uh. Can u use a wound G-string on an electric guitar? Try getting one that is not wound.
Member of the "Defenders of Emo,PM eckman88 to join "

Founder Of The Artcore/Hollow Body Users Club PM me to join

Quote by Chuck Norris
Leading hand sanitizers claim they can kill 99.9 percent of germs. I kill 100 percent of whatever the fuck he wants.
Quote by thehardwayout
Uh. Can u use a wound G-string on an electric guitar? Try getting one that is not wound.

Yes, true. But before I heard people sayong on UG that their G string would go out of tune easy as they do, someone suggested to get a nickel wound or something like that G string. I personaly wouldn't use one but thats just me.
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
^ I'm pretty sure that doesn't matter unless you have a low action.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Have you let this strings 'rest in' so to speak?

Strings usually seem bright over anything though.

Are the strings old stock from the shop you got them from?
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
I've heard many times that using a wound G string helps tuning, intonation and tuning, as the G string is often a troublemaker compared to the others.

EDIT to king: The strings have been on the guitar since saturday, I'm pretty sure they've gotten over their initial brightness, and I don't know how old they are as I bought them online (I have to where I live).
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
haha.. G string :P, oh and don't get the nickel wound G unless your a rythem player, if your into solo's its very hard to bend on the G string with a wound one.
It may just be that you're used to hearing an unwound G, wound strings sound more dull than unwound strings.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I have the same problem...I reckon its on a squier strat but my G string also sound unnaturally dull and just different from the rest. I am unwound string to.

maybe its because its a squier in my case.
Adjust the pole pieces for a vintage stagger. See, the vintage guitar makers had this problem, so they adjusted the pickups so that the G string got more power. Now, It's on the B string because of lighter guage strings, so you need to basically switch the heights of some pole pieces. go to your tech, it won't cost much.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.