Keys and scales.

Can someone explain what they are?

How do you know what notes are in the Key of D etc?

I have been playing bass for 8 months and guitar randomly, so i dont really know any theory.

Cheers!
8 months? You should know SOME theory. If you have a teacher, ask them to teach you a major, pentatonic, dorian and blues scale (IMO these are the most important). If you don't then look 'em up on the internet.

Basically, if you play a solo, you should use notes from scales in the same key as the whole song. You can figure out the key of a song by whether the notes seem to all be from a certain scale, or sometimes from the first/last chord.

Scales basically tell you what will sound good. That's all.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
A key tells you what notes are either sharped or flatted, a scale is a serious of notes in an ascending and/or descending order. There are various types of scales (Minor, Major, etc) and a Key tells you what notes are in a particular scale. For example if you are in the key of C (no sharps or flats) and you want to play a C Major Scale, simply follow the Major pattern WWHWWWH, all landing on naturals...
I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
-Mohandas Gandhi
I dont have a teacher i took up bass just to play for fun but i have to play it in school band i dont have a clue whats going on.

This is waht happens when you go frm

drums (no notes) - > guitar (notes) ???
Quote by The McManus
A key tells you what notes are either sharped or flatted, a scale is a serious of notes in an ascending and/or descending order. There are various types of scales (Minor, Major, etc) and a Key tells you what notes are in a particular scale. For example if you are in the key of C (no sharps or flats) and you want to play a C Major Scale, simply follow the Major pattern WWHWWWH, all landing on naturals...

Yeah i get the key bit next to the treble/bass clef yeah i know that.

So if i was playing in key of E? would that mean Es are flat or am i going about this all wrong?
I've been playing guitar for 2 years and can't grasp the key thing. Someone wanna explain more. From what's been said, I think I get it. Do you just CHOOSE a scale before starting to write a song though?