I'm watching the DVD that comes with the special edition of Ghost Reveries by Opeth, and they're in the recording studio and the guitarist has a cloth or towel wrapped around the top of his fretboard. What is the purpose of doing that? Does it just make it easier on you to play the open string muted?
Member #7 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp to join.

Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all
Radiate, recognize one silent call
As we all form one dark flame...
Incinerate!
During things like sweeping and tapping if you accidentally hit another string or a string rings out wrong it will mute it.
It can help muffle strings left ringing that you don't want. I use smaller things than a towel when I do it though.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
Oh, cool. I never thought of that.
Member #7 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp to join.

Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all
Radiate, recognize one silent call
As we all form one dark flame...
Incinerate!
I saw a video and the guy used one of those, are they called "scrunchies"? (the things girls make pony tails outta their hair with).

...anyways, it would be easier than using a towel.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
I saw a video and the guy used one of those, are they called "scrunchies"? (the things girls make pony tails outta their hair with).

...anyways, it would be easier than using a towel.

Aye, wrist bands work too.
use a sweatband (the ones that go around your wrist, not your head)
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3