My amp has been making an annoying hum pretty much since i got it, and i've tried a lot of stuff but its not made any difference. While scanning the internet, i found that alot of people say its "50hz hum" (or 60hz in the US) caused by a ground loop problem. I realy dont know if the amp hums at 50hz, so i looked up a table of musical notes and frequencies, found G 0 at 49hz, and tried it in guitar pro. It sounded a bit too low, but G1 (double the frequency) sounds almost exactly like the hum my amp makes. And now i've noticed that these pages about 50hz hum say that the problem is 50hz hum "and related harmonics".

Ok, so thats very technical, sad, and not a very accurate way of diagnosing the problem, so i want to ask if any of you know if it could be "50hz hum", or if you think its anything else, or how i could solve it. Thanks
Yeah 50Hz or 60Hz "hum" as its commonly called is just feedback... the only thing I could think of to fix your problem is turn down your gain and/or volume
I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
-Mohandas Gandhi
I don't know of anything else it could be, i only know of it as ground noise and no other names. Do you have a noise gate though? As getting a good noise gate could well solve the problem, or at least improve the situation.
the hum is still as loud with the volume turned completely down. My guess is the grounding (or non grounding) of the amp.
moving farther away from your amp may help. is the hum still present if you unplug the guitar? that means there's something going on with your wiring to the output jack of your guitar. Also, if your amp is meant for another country, make sure the fuse is correct.
Quote by Reincaster
moving farther away from your amp may help.

If the volume is on zero on the guitar, that will make no difference. Though I assume you meant to post this before he said about guitar volume being on zero.

Edit: So have you considered getting a noise gate? Or does that not sound a likely solution? It reduces hiss and feedback and low-frequency noise on my old amp though.
Last edited by last_biscuit at Mar 19, 2007,
i do have a noise gate. The hum is still there with the volume on the amp turned completely down. My only soution so far is to play guitar with my head against a radiator. (sillyest solution ever, but it seems to ground the hum a bit)
Quote by stevilkinevil
i do have a noise gate. The hum is still there with the volume on the amp turned completely down. My only soution so far is to play guitar with my head against a radiator. (sillyest solution ever, but it seems to ground the hum a bit)

where's the noise gate? in the fx loop, or before the preamp?
Open the thing up and check all the connections and grounds inside.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
well my setup goes: guitar > multi fx pedal > small practice amp.
but the hum is exactly the same when i plug the guitar directly into the amp.
im pretty sure the hum is caused by the amp, either its broken (unlikely) or there is a grounding problem. but my dad is an electrician and has said the earth is fine. I have seen some info on other websites about ground loops, and other appliances using the earth as an "interference dump" which causes the amp to hum. Does anyone know if this could be whats causing it, and how i could solve it?

and i have opened the amp and everything seems to be normal, and my dad has checked the connections.
The problem may not be in your amp, rather your house's wiring or even just the electrical box you've plugged into. Try a different outlet... preferably in a different room.
Isn't 50Hz hum when the transformer vibrates as it steps down the AC voltage from the mains?

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by i_baked_cookies
The problem may not be in your amp, rather your house's wiring or even just the electrical box you've plugged into. Try a different outlet... preferably in a different room.

i've tried it in every room and its the same.
Quote by stevilkinevil
i've tried it in every room and its the same.

The last thing you can do (for no cost at least) is try a different house. If it acts the same in another house, chances are that the problem is internal.
Well its almost 11pm (in the Uk) so il wait til tommorow at least before i try it in someone elses house. thanks to everyone for helping

Im soooooo annoyed at it. Why cant amps just be like suround sound speakers and not be totaly shit?
Quote by stevilkinevil
well my setup goes: guitar > multi fx pedal > small practice amp.
but the hum is exactly the same when i plug the guitar directly into the amp.
im pretty sure the hum is caused by the amp, either its broken (unlikely) or there is a grounding problem. but my dad is an electrician and has said the earth is fine. I have seen some info on other websites about ground loops, and other appliances using the earth as an "interference dump" which causes the amp to hum. Does anyone know if this could be whats causing it, and how i could solve it?

and i have opened the amp and everything seems to be normal, and my dad has checked the connections.

Before you give up for the night, going back to what me and reaper(i think) thought, where is the noise gate though? is it in the multi-fx pedal? or is it on amp or what?
well if its 50 cycle hum, then its caused by impropper shielding most likely. the 50hz (or 60) is when your electronics pickup the frequency of things like lights. if it is picking up something like this with your guitar turned all the way down, try a different cable. sometimes cables are poorly shielded and can pickup radio frequencies and such. to me it sounds like poor shielding or something is impropperly grounded.
^ yep.

what type of guitar?
does the noise lessen when u click over to the 2 or 4 spot? (on a 5-way SSS switch)

shield ur guitar.
buy noiseless pickups.
turn off dimmer lights or fans.
try a new guitar cable.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011