What bass would you recomend for a beginner who likes alternative, punk and just general rock?
gsr200
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
i agree with what they just said, fender are always reliable, whether its squier or a proper fender
GSR200 is a nice beginner bass, it's tuned towards rock so it won't be bad at all for what you want. Also you could look into some Mexican made Fender Jazz and P basses if you don't mind going a bit higher in price.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Well, it would be nice if you actually gave us a suitable price range to work with, but seeing as you haven't, I'll give you a couple of 'em.

$200 - $300 ish

GSR 200 or 205 - As mentioned before, this is a really nice bass for a begginner. It's got three color choices I believe (Red, Blue, Black) and it's got a decent sound.

Squier Fender Bass (Precision or Jazz) - Once again as mentioned above, this is also a nice bass for any begginer. Seeing as Fender is your generic rock bass for many bass players, by transitive property ( ) Squier Fender is your generic beginner rock bass. Also, if your going to choose a Squier Fender, don't not choose Jazz 'cause Jazz is in the name. Jazz Basses are really nice basses that are (I believe) better at cutting through in a bands sound (So it's a better lead instrument), while Precisions are more groove heavy.

Epiphone Thunderbird - Along with looking nice, these basses will cover your rock bass needs quite well.

Traben Array - Looks super nice to the average person and is more suited for the metal genre than most of what fits in the generic rock genre. As a side note, it's somewhat bulky (Heavy). In the price range, it's probably the best sounding bass, with the most options.

$300 - 500 ish

Fender Standard Jazz and Precision Basses - These basses are your generic basses and there pretty damn good. They cost around 450$ - $500 dollars. They'll keep you busy for a long time in terms of tone and what not. If you want to play in a rock band, this bass will cover all your musical needs except for the range in the fact it has 20 frets rather than 22 or 24. I would recommend the Deluxe Fender Jazz Bass (Made in Mexico) because it's around this price range and sounds beastly.

Traben - A lot of Traben basses are in this price range. There all like the Traben Array only they have different shapes, designs, colors and there sounds are more diverse.

I think those basses are pretty good in covering your needs. If you have any more specifics on the topic, feel free to ask, but make sure your question is more specific and you'll get a "better" answer.

Peace
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by Chimpy101
A lot of people will recommend any Fender basses, but I hate 'em. Get a Yamaha RBX374! They're fairly cheap, and are great for any style, especially rock. Although the new RBXs look pretty good too:
http://www.yamaha-europe.com/yamaha_europe/uk/10_musical_instruments/30_guitars_basses_amps/70_bass_guitars/10_bass_guitars/20_rbx_basses/20_RBX774/index.html

Fenders r good basses.U recommended a yamaha.Well i h8 those
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Quote by The1bassist06
Fenders r good basses.U recommended a yamaha.Well i h8 those

I would say that Yamahas are a better make then Fenders. I was merely suggesting an alternative option, whereas you seem to be just repeating what everyone else is saying. But I don't see the point in arguing with you about it. You just sound like a bit of a twat, and an illiterate one at that.

Edit: Although on further inspection it seems you did recommend an Ibanez