I am just wondering how a set of high gain ECC83S will sound in my JCM900 dual reverb. For instance - will it kill the clean channel (not that it was the best in the world anyways)? Is it really worth the slightly extra dough - or should I just stick with the standard tubes and get a clean boost pedal? Thanks
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Last edited by thrice_removed at Mar 19, 2007,
Well first off those are preamp tubes. Second...do not put those in all the gain stages. Only put it in the final gain stage. Put tubes known for clarity in the others and in the PI. Something like a tung-sol reissue, or even a regular JJ ecc83.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Edit - thanks for pointing out the error - gosh what was I thinking? EC883's as poweramp tubes - ok maybe I should get some sleep. Thanks - any other opinions?
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Quote by thrice_removed
Edit - thanks for pointing out the error - gosh what was I thinking? EC883's as poweramp tubes - ok maybe I should get some sleep. Thanks - any other opinions?

Preamp tubes won't boost your gain that much if at all really.

But if you want the two that sound the tightest (which people mistake for more gain)...get a high gain JJ (Ecc883s) or a tungsol reissue.

Likewise the tung-sols are amazingly rounded and clear, so at the very least put one in your V1. If you want the high gain JJ, put it in the your Valve that is the last part of your gain stages.

I don't know if the 900 has 3 or 5 tubes though. If it has 5 (which I think it does), then V1-3 will be your gain stages. 4 and 5 will be the Effects loop and phase inverter. Do not put anything high gain in 4 or 5.

Go to dougtubes.com and shoot him an email. He'll hook you up with exactly what you need. Don't go to eurotubes. Since they only sell JJ tubes they are totally biased. The tubedepot.com or tubestore.com also sell different brands like doug so they will give you whats best, not whats best within JJ branding.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Also - would I have biasing problems putting different sorts of tubes in the gain stages? Sorry I am such a newb at this - but I have never biased an amp myself before. Also, the JCM900 dual reverb has a 3 tube setup.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Last edited by thrice_removed at Mar 19, 2007,
Quote by thrice_removed
Also - would I have biasing problems putting different sorts of tubes in the gain stages? Sorry I am such a newb at this - but I have never biased an amp myself before.

No. Biasing is only for powertubes.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
^ thank you - I feel so.......inadequete. I (unfortunately) know very little on the electronics of amps, and always take them to an amp tech when I need work done, but this time around I figured I would do it myself. I do know a bit about electronics (just not of amps), and am looking into getting into modding - probably after a bunch of reading up of how electronics translate into tone I'll get one of those basic Sd-1 mod kits to start off.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call