So I decided to get a new amp. I'm thinking about getting either a Marshall MG or an Vox ADVT.............................................................................NOT! I don't need a new amp.

Anyways....

I think my amp is in need of new tubes. Its making weird buzzing noises. What kind of tubes work with a Hot Rod Deluxe and can I use two types of tubes in an amp? Like could I use half 6L6 which is what is normally in the amp and half of another type like a EL84 (if those work in them)?
Quote by thebrewfan

I think my amp is in need of new tubes. Its making weird buzzing noises. What kind of tubes work with a Hot Rod Deluxe and can I use two types of tubes in an amp? Like could I use half 6L6 which is what is normally in the amp and half of another type like a EL84 (if those work in them)?

No.
wait, so those don't work with that amp or i cant use two different types of tubes? and if thats the case i'd still like to know what kind of tubes besides the 6L6s work with the amp.
you can, in some amps use two different types in matched pairs, but not in the HRD. Depending on the bias sweep, you might be able to use el34s or 6550s, but im not sure.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Vox.

No.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Quote by thebrewfan
wait, so those don't work with that amp or i cant use two different types of tubes? and if thats the case i'd still like to know what kind of tubes besides the 6L6s work with the amp.

No to everything...

Um...first, weird buzzing doesn't necessarily mean tubes are fried

Theoretically, you could use any of the following... 6L6, 6V6, EL34, KT77, KT88, 5881, 6550...maybe missing a couple, dunno. In any case, for sure can't use an EL84 'cause they use different sockets than the 6L6.

As far as actually being able to use other tubes (pairs of the same), I don't know. I'm looking at the shematic right now, and Fender, in their typical style, is running some pretty high voltages that I know would nuke a 6V6. Also, without a variable bias (which this is lacking), I don't know how to shoehorn in any other tubes.

As far as mixing output tubes, definately a no-go. No combined bias adjustment, let alone individual bias adjustment, so you're kinda screwed for that. 6L6GC is about the only way to go w/ that amp. Sorry.
Depends on how nasty the sounds are, I'd have to hear it. In any case, it could be anything from a blown capacitor, broken off ground somewhere, bad input cable from your guitar, bad output transformer, ground loop...or a blown tube. *shrugs* hard to say off of written descriptions. Take it into an amp tech and see what they say.
Quote by DLrocket89
Depends on how nasty the sounds are, I'd have to hear it. In any case, it could be anything from a blown capacitor, broken off ground somewhere, bad input cable from your guitar, bad output transformer, ground loop...or a blown tube. *shrugs* hard to say off of written descriptions. Take it into an amp tech and see what they say.

I was driving the amp pretty hard with my Big Muff, had the volume at 4 and had the Big muffs volume up all the way, could that have done something?
Quote by thebrewfan
I was driving the amp pretty hard with my Big Muff, had the volume at 4 and had the Big muffs volume up all the way, could that have done something?

I doubt it would fry anything, but it might make it distort in a really un-harmonic way.
Quote by DLrocket89
I doubt it would fry anything, but it might make it distort in a really un-harmonic way.

Actually it sounded pretty nice until it started cutting in and out and making these noises
Quote by thebrewfan
Actually it sounded pretty nice until it started cutting in and out and making these noises

fresh battery in the Big Muff? If you don't use the big muff and just drive the thing hard, does it cut like that?
the big muff is plugged into the wall and it makes the noises when im just plugged into the amp, I don't know if it cuts out, ill have to check

EDIT: it makes the noises all the time, when its being driven, and not driven. But only when I'm playing does the noise occur. If I stop playing then theres just an extra loud buzz now. But when I strum or pick then buzzing happens
Last edited by thebrewfan at Mar 19, 2007,
Quote by thebrewfan
the big muff is plugged into the wall and it makes the noises when im just plugged into the amp, I don't know if it cuts out, ill have to check

Any more descriptions on the noises it's making?

Also, how old is the amp, how often do you play, etc...?
I got the amp a little over a year ago and I play almost every day. for more info on the noise, see my edit on the other post
Only having it for as long as you have, it shouldn't be a bad tube, but who knows...it does sound like that's what it is. The other thing I can think of is a blow cap somewhere. Take it in to a tech somewhere, that's the best I can do really...
Quote by DLrocket89
Only having it for as long as you have, it shouldn't be a bad tube, but who knows...it does sound like that's what it is. The other thing I can think of is a blow cap somewhere. Take it in to a tech somewhere, that's the best I can do really...

well i do have a 5 year warranty so i should be good
This sounds like an obvious thing to ask but I'm gonna anyway...you sure it's not just a dodgy cable?

Oh yeah, Vox ADVT >>>>>> Marshall MG.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
This sounds like an obvious thing to ask but I'm gonna anyway...you sure it's not just a dodgy cable?

Oh yeah, Vox ADVT >>>>>> Marshall MG.

I used a different cable with that amp and the same cable with a different amp and in the first case there was buzzing and in the second case there was no buzzing. Its the amp not the cable.