Page 1 of 2
I recently started to customize my first guitar, a squier strat. so far i have sanded it down and put 4 coats of primer on it. im still going to put maybe 2 more coats of primer and then im going to paint it black and then splatter neon pink on it. i'm also going to put some new tuners and hopefully once i get some money i'm going to put the David Gilmour EMG pickup set on it. for now i'm going to paint the pickguard, i'm not sure what color yet, any ideas?

heres pics of the guitar as of now:
Attachments:
Photo 35.jpg
Photo 36.jpg
Last edited by zy123456 at Apr 28, 2007,
Southpaws FTW!

I think you should screw the pickguard on when you paint it (with electronics) so that it won't cover the cool paint.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
4 coats ofprimer should be more than enough all you want with primer is a completely smooth surface.
i need more primer because i sanded it down to the wood so i have to fill the grain so it looks better when its done.
defnitely think you should screw on the pickguard with electronics an do the splatter thing too... thatd look hella rad
MY RIG:

Gibson Explorer '73 reissue, Classic White
Schecter Blackjack S1
Crate Stack

Thats noise violation in a box!
i think i might do what you guys suggested and paint the guitar with the pickguard on. is there anything i have to do to the pickguard before i paint it?
since i sanded the guitar down to the wood, do i have to use primer until i cant see the grain anymore or can i just go to the color?

thanks to anybody that can help
You should have used grain filler before the primer
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Bad-Penny
You should have used grain filler before the primer

its a little to late for that, so do i have to keep priming or can i just do the color?
Quote by zy123456
its a little to late for that, so do i have to keep priming or can i just do the color?

Usually, some primers double as sanding sealer and for woods with open grain, it should be sufficient. However, if you can still see pinprick holes or gouges after the primer you just sprayed, you'll be happier in the long run if you filled them in now. The additional layers/coats of finish will tend to amplify the flaw when you're done with the final finish. Good Luck!

^ Couldn't the threastarter just spray some primer into a dixie cup, or even into a little McDonald's ketchup cup. Take a q-tip or a toothpick and apply it into the dents.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
does anybody know the difference between lacquer and enamel and the advantages of either one?
Originally Posted by Blawler
in the bathroom, i found my step mothers dildo, none the less, i licked it. She's not an attractive woman, I just couldn't resist, I did this for a couple of seconds and then I realized a dildo is an imitation of a penis
can anybody help me with this, im going to buy paint tomorrow and im not sure which kind i should get.
in the bathroom, i found my step mothers dildo, none the less, i licked it. She's not an attractive woman, I just couldn't resist, I did this for a couple of seconds and then I realized a dildo is an imitation of a penis
So, I finally got some good weather and i started to paint today. Here are some pictures after the first coat:

I might put on another coat today and hopefully 1 or 2 more tomorrow. I should have all the painting done by the end of the week and then i have to figure out what i have to do to splatter paint.
So i put 2 more coats on today and it looks a lot better than yesterday. One quick question, when i do the last coat of black, do i sand it down before i splatter the pink on or do i just leave it as is?
To be on the safe side, lightly wetsand it with high grit sandpaper (some recommend that you soak it overnight - can't hurt). Since the paint won't be fully cured/hardened, don't forget the light part of sanding ... it'll remove any build-up or bumps or orange peel, etc. Wipe it down with a damp rag after then go to town with the splatter.

ok, so i lightly wet sanded the guitar after about 7 coats of black paint and here is what it looks like as of now

im going to do the splatter in a little while and i should have some pics up later.
i just did the splatter and it looks pretty good.

in the pictures the splatter looks more hot pink which is what i wanted it to be but it actually came out to be more of an orange color. im happy with the way it turned out though. next i just have to do clear coats, which i should be able to do this weekend.

how many clear coats do i have to do? i have read that i can do anywhere between 6 and 15 and i was just wondering if there is a point where i dont have to do any more.
not a huge fan of the splatter look, but to each his own, i guess. and btw, are the first two pictures you posted in a mirror image or something, I could have sworn the first pic I looked at had a lefty guitar in it...
the first two pictures were taken with a web cam so they came out backwards.
sweet idea, but tbh, the black could've come out better IMO, mainly due to there being blatant scraches from sanding + grain showing but other than that, pretty sweet and yeah, about 10 coats i'd say, and then leave it for AT LEAST 2 weeks, fine sand it, then buff it with polish and cloth
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
its actually not scratches from sanding, the pictures arent that great so it looks like it but these pictures were taken right after i painted so i know for a fact that its not scratches.
the scraches still show up after painting, trust me, i redid the paint on my project to fill them

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
i just realized that i forgot to put the pickup covers in when i splattered the paint. so what should i do, leave them black, paint them pink or splatter some pink on them?
def paint them like the guitar, that would just kick ass
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Well, tape the front of the pickups and paint them pink, then try how it looks. Then take off the tape and try the black. See which works better.

EDIT: By the way, the splatter looks really well done. Good job.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
thanks guys, i think im gonna splatter them like i did with the guitar.
Last edited by zy123456 at May 2, 2007,
do the covers solid pink. or half black half pink. that would look secksay.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
im going to start clear coating today. i was just wondering if i have to sand in between coats or not? and if i do, do i wet sand?
you should sand in between coats with high grit sandpaper.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
so, i finished the clear coats today. i did 11 or 12 coats and it looks pretty good. do i have to wait at least 2 weeks before i can put it back together or just wait 2 weeks until i can play it again?
2 weeks before putting it back together at least, that is presuming you used urethane lacquer, if you used nitrocellulose, you're looking at closer to a month wait before flatsand/buff/reassembling

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
It has been almost 2 weeks and im getting really anxious to put it back together but im going to wait a couple more days. i was just wondering if there is anything special i should use to polish the guitar?
Pretty cool.
I have one question: When you sanded all the paint off, how did the woodgrain look? I have a black Squire Strat and I was thinking of refinishing it with a stain so you can see the grain of the wood. I just wondered if it looked nice or if Squire uses ugly wood.

Thanks.
for a cheap guitar, the grain looked surprisingly nice.

its finally done. i just have to solder the ground and put the springs in and i can play it again.

what do you think of it?
wow. amazing. Although, a bit emo dont you reckon? or is that how you wanted?
that is one cool loking guitar. Althogh a deeper red would have been cooler but it still looks cool.
Page 1 of 2