I made a trip up to guitar center today to try out some amps this is what I found:
Fender Blues Junior:
-Can be soft enough to play in my room
-great cleans/reverb
-Didn't crank it, but I think it could be loud enough for playing with a drummer
-Sounded great with LP, tele, and SG

Questions:
How badly will an me-50 affect its tone?
Is the Hot Rod Deluxe just a bigger, louder version?
Can the Hot Rod Deluxe do lower volumes?
Is almost always playing on low volumes bad for tubes?

Which should I get? Any other reccomendations of Amps (under 700) for classic rock and blues (Jimi, Jimmy Page, SRV etc.)
i say get the blues junior as u wont get any good sounds from the hotrod deluxe at low volumes, as for gigging the blues junior can definitely hold up well, if not than just mic the amp and you will be set , and i know this from experience with playing local shows with it.
MY RIG!
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Stratocaster standard
Fender Toronado GT HH
Boss OS-2
BBE Sonic Maximizer

Member #31 of the Fender Armada!
Member #2 of the UG Blues Jr. Owners Club!
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
-giggle- -giggle-

Get the Hot Rod.

Get your mind out of the gutter man!

i'd stick with the Blues Junior, if you ever play any real gigs you can just mic it, you should even be fine without micing it at a small gig.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by zep1975
How badly will an me-50 affect its tone?

Pretty badly. You should start building a board of quality singles ASAP to compliment your new tube amp.

Quote by zep1975
Is the Hot Rod Deluxe just a bigger, louder version?

Sorta. I believe they consider them to be part of the same series. The Hot Rod has two channels and an extra gain stage on top of that.

Quote by zep1975
Can the Hot Rod Deluxe do lower volumes?

Sure. You get the best tones out of a tube amp when you saturate the power tubes (roughly at least halfway up on the volume), but that doesn't mean that it won't sound ok at lower volumes.

Quote by zep1975
Is almost always playing on low volumes bad for tubes?

Just the opposite. Playing them loud, a lot, will wear out the tubes faster. Playing at low levels will extend their lives.

Quote by zep1975
Which should I get? Any other reccomendations of Amps (under 700) for classic rock and blues (Jimi, Jimmy Page, SRV etc.)

The Hot Rod's not a bad choice, although I prefer the Blues Deluxe. I'm not a fan of the extra gain in the Hot Rod, and suspect that it robs some of the tone that's evident on the clean channel of the BD. Other amps to look at might be the Peavey Classic 30/50 or Delta Blues, or the Ampeg Reverberocket (top of your budget, but doable).

I'd want at least 30W if you plan on gigging, while the 15W Blues Jr would be fine if you just want to play at home and jam with friends once in a while. If you're looking at that, you may also want to look at the new Peavey Windsor combo. It's 15W, but has a built in attenuator and a bunch of other features not found on the BJ.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by aj2good4you2
i say get the blues junior as u wont get any good sounds from the hotrod deluxe at low volumes, as for gigging the blues junior can definitely hold up well, if not than just mic the amp and you will be set , and i know this from experience with playing local shows with it.

x2.

the blues junior and hot rod are VERY similar, and belive it or not, i chose the blues junior over the HR cos i liked the blues junior's od more.

the hot rod is basically a bigger, two channel blues junior.

im getting a cab for my blues junior, should hold up nicely for gigging.
Quote by guitarguy0153
hot rod deluxe for band. BJ for room play

way too loud for room play.
unless u play it on 2 all the time. and at that level, ull never OD it unless u get a pedal.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
new question: what overdrive distortion pedal would be good? I have a ds-1 already
Ibnaez Tubescreamer.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
i got a Blues jr.
its enough to play with friends, just enough to get power tube saturation as well as preamp OD.
its sweet.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard