Yea im trying out for a Slayer, Sepultura, Vader influenced trash metal band, and im gonna need to upgrade my POS Behringer 2x12 if i make it. The lead guitarist uses an original peavey 5150 120w head with a mesa/boogie cab. Well ill need something with a good sound and nice Distortion like the 5150, so far my budget is $500 but im trying to get a job and raise my budget a bit. I was looking at the Randall RH150G3 Head, but not certain yet since i cant afford a cab at the moment. Any suggestions on the amp? And when it comes in my main guitar will be a Jackson DXMG Dinky with EMG HZs.
My Gear:

Jackson DXMG
Jackson KVX10
Hoyer Acoustic
Randall RG100ES
ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Crybaby

WARNING!: Every thread i touch dies.......
doesn't matter really, i just want a good sound, but at an affordable price, SS or otherwise.
My Gear:

Jackson DXMG
Jackson KVX10
Hoyer Acoustic
Randall RG100ES
ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Crybaby

If you don't mind solid state, there's a 200w Kustom head, i've never tried it out, but i hear it's pretty good for metal: Quad 200DFX

If you're looking for Peavey sound try: Peavey Supreme

And there's a blem Randall RH300G3 head going for around 500, that's a pretty good deal: Randal
Good luck
Used
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
^?
My Gear:

Jackson DXMG
Jackson KVX10
Hoyer Acoustic
Randall RG100ES
ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Crybaby

yea no real good used amps round here, not sure if i trust ebay cause i got 5 different offers on a RG100ES from different emails and people offering to sell me the same item that was up for auction.
My Gear:

Jackson DXMG
Jackson KVX10
Hoyer Acoustic
Randall RG100ES
ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Crybaby

Peavey Triple XXX 40wts
you can get this for 800 new or 700 used, only 200$ more than your price, its all tube, great for metal and decent cleans. It deffinitely loud enough for gigs, itll get louder than the kustom or the randall.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Triple-XXX-Super-40-40W-1x12-Guitar-Combo?sku=481393

Yeah, if you dont want to do ebay, your best bet is the Randall head. Although, by buddy got a Kustom 100dfx about a month ago, and it is quite nice for solid state. If you want to keep it cheap and not spend too much go with the Kustom.
Yeah, if you dont want to do ebay, your best bet is the Randall head. Although, my buddy got a Kustom 100dfx about a month ago, and it is quite nice for solid state. If you want to keep it cheap and not spend too much go with the Kustom.
Get the same amp as your friend used (combo).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
That Randall RX120DHS head/cab combo is garbage... sadly too. All the other Randall amps are good for the price though.

So if you're going to go with a 500+ dollar solid state, stick with Randall (for metal at least). They are the only ones that get it right most of time.
^Garbage? How so?
My Gear:

Jackson DXMG
Jackson KVX10
Hoyer Acoustic
Randall RG100ES
ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Crybaby

el bumpo!
My Gear:

Jackson DXMG
Jackson KVX10
Hoyer Acoustic
Randall RG100ES
ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Crybaby

Quote by i_baked_cookies
That Randall RX120DHS head/cab combo is garbage... sadly too. All the other Randall amps are good for the price though.

So if you're going to go with a 500+ dollar solid state, stick with Randall (for metal at least). They are the only ones that get it right most of time.

+1

the RX series is just a typical SS amp.. ala Crate, Behringer, etc.

Now the RG is great, as is the XL, and MTS...

Check ebay for a Randall Century, ****in' great amps, and I saw one go for like $280...
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by SGRipper
yea no real good used amps round here, not sure if i trust ebay cause i got 5 different offers on a RG100ES from different emails and people offering to sell me the same item that was up for auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-RANDALL-CENTURY-200-DIMES-HEAD-THE-REAL-ONE-2-EQ-S_W0QQitemZ190092989418QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-RANDALL-CENTURY-200-DIMES-HEAD-THE-REAL-ONE-2-EQ-S_W0QQitemZ190092989418QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Well this ones $600 cause they say it was part of Dimes rig at one point. Ive also been looking at RG100ES'
My Gear:

Jackson DXMG
Jackson KVX10
Hoyer Acoustic
Randall RG100ES
ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Crybaby

Quote by SGRipper

dude, i seriously doubt it was part of the dimebag rig, but even if it was, it's the sound that matters, right? if it's a good deal, go for it, but don't buy it because they say dimebag used it.
its not like i can afford this anyways, even if Dime used it Im looking for one i'll actually use.
My Gear:

Jackson DXMG
Jackson KVX10
Hoyer Acoustic
Randall RG100ES
ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Crybaby

Used 5150 combo would be plenty. Even the 60 watter would be more than capable.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.