oh and about the tuning. you could always upgrade your nut to a bone nut. i dunno if you can do that yourself or not but if i had to do it i would take it to a pro. you can buy nice name-brand strings instead of generic ones, if you dont already have them. and i would venture to say the bridge is the biggest part, besides really nice tuners like schaller locking tuners. and as for the bridge i have no idea.
I have planet waves locking tuners, and i'm in love with them

A cheaper alternative to a bone nut, that also works out well, is a graphite nut
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Good string wrap and proper stretching of the strings

You should have good stability just from that
Quote by Silky Smooth
Good string wrap and proper stretching of the strings

You should have good stability just from that

well, i have a floating bridge, thats one point. also, i wrap 3 times and i stretch them yes.

but if i let the guitar shit..it'll naturrally go sharp/flat idk/i forget which

[edit]

wow, guitar shit....im dumb. meant to say sit
Last edited by Rockstar12345 at Mar 20, 2007,
Locking tuners are always a good thing from what I've heard. I read a lot about schallers. I don't really know as I have a fixed bridge that holds up tuning though severe bends, but my mate has some and his shit is always in tune (also a fixed bridge so I don't know how much this helps, but hey, at least I'm trying)
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Quote by jb_designs
Locking tuners are always a good thing from what I've heard. I read a lot about schallers. I don't really know as I have a fixed bridge that holds up tuning though severe bends, but my mate has some and his shit is always in tune (also a fixed bridge so I don't know how much this helps, but hey, at least I'm trying)

thanks for the input. u have no idea how much it helps (no sarcasm, im serious.)
Quote by Rockstar12345
well, i have a floating bridge, thats one point. also, i wrap 3 times and i stretch them yes.

but if i let the guitar shit..it'll naturrally go sharp/flat idk/i forget which

[edit]

wow, guitar shit....im dumb. meant to say sit

Hmm

Is your birdge parallel with the body? With floaters you usualy will have to retune many times for everything to become in balance. How many springs are you using on the trem?
Quote by Rockstar12345
What can i do to improve it? and what are some of the best parts out there? thanks.

I have a short scale (notorious for tuning problems) and a riviera with a bigsby...so I know what you are talking about. Here is my suggestion.

1. Make sure your intonation is really good. (if you don't know how to set this yourself, I think it is a crime...pm me I'll explain it). Regardless of how "tuned" your guitar is, it'll never sound quite right when you play it unless intonation is dead on.

2. Either get locking tuners (which I hate by the way...they look like the 80's headgear that dentists gave kids with braces...on your guitar head). Or, tie your strings (once you put it through the hole in the tuner, wrap the end of the string back around the head and under the string you are about to tighten. I'll find you a picture if you don't know what I mean. I tie all my strings.

3. Stretch your strings all the way up the string right after you first install it. I put my strings on, tune them to pitch, bend them to a point slightly past the string next to it in both directions, and then tune it to pitch again. Then I wiggle it back and forth all the way up to the nut...and tune it again. You're pretty much cherry after this.

4. Invest in a good tuner. You'll never be sorry. I have a tuner I love...and my whole band is constantly borrowing it...oh well.

5. Get some roadies who want to do nothing but tune your backup for you ;-)
-Epiphone Riviera w/ Bigsby and Gibson 490r/498t combo
-Epiphone Es-333 Delonge Edition
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
^like said up there, u need to make sure the bridge is balanced.

that's a picture of a tight bridge setup. it's got 5 springs, maxed out.

in addition, the 2 screws can be tightened.

so u need to decide, should you give up a little trem use, to gain tuning stability?
ive got a MIA i keep the bridge pretty free moving. on my MIMex. it's flat to the body.

also, like said, a good tuning/stringing technique, working in new strings, and strings that slide freely in the nut are all important.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Good explaination

Most of the time players won't work the strings in, it takes a little bit of time to get the bridge where you like it adjusting the trem springs adding or removing to feel and then re-tuning... In fact its quite a hassle at first until you get the feel for it. For floating the key is to keep the bridge as parallel to the body as you can while keeping the trem action the way you like it. You'll have to retune many times over and over to get the springs and strings all aligned and balanced.

I've changed from Addarios to EB's same gauge and I had to really tweak with my bridge to keep it stable, any little thing plays havoc with those things.
yea, but this is like with strings being used 2-4 times a week for 3 weeks so far.

i have 3 springs, and the bridge is parallel tough not exactly flush with the body.
Quote by Silky Smooth
Have you changed gauge size from the factory set-up?

I don't know, probably. It's been 4 years since I got it.
^after 4 years, the springs might have gotten a little weak. u might want to tighten the screws a little.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
^after 4 years, the springs might have gotten a little weak. u might want to tighten the screws a little.

yea, but i think late last year i got a full setup (after having HEAVY gauge strings on, the dude said the springs were gone, so he got me new ones free of charge!!)
ok well springs weaken all the time. im just saying, when uve got a strat, and it falling out of tune, and u want to know how to fix it. the answer is:

1. keep a tighter trem cavity.
2. perfect ur stringing technique.
3. make sure nothing is getting stagged in the nut cuts.
4. see above.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
ok well springs weaken all the time. im just saying, when uve got a strat, and it falling out of tune, and u want to know how to fix it. the answer is:

1. keep a tighter trem cavity.
2. perfect ur stringing technique.
3. make sure nothing is getting stagged in the nut cuts.
4. see above.

ok, im gonna tighten those prings at the back. ill tell you what happenes in like 10 minutes.
I've got locking tuners and an LSR roller nut on my Strat. Stays in excellent tune, but then again, I'm not too heavy on the ol' whammy bar...

You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
I've got locking tuners and an LSR roller nut on my Strat. Stays in excellent tune, but then again, I'm not too heavy on the ol' whammy bar...

if i plan to upgrade my tuners like that, i would want them to handle whammy abuse.