Okay I am currently preparing my custom order form on www.ranguitars.com, and I'm trying to decide which wood combination would be best for a 7-string guitar made for metal.

I can either go with an Alder body or a Mahogany body, so which one would be better suited for lead guitar playing with incredible high gain. I'm looking for a brighter sound with tons of sustain.

So if I go with an Alder body, since its a brighter wood I was thinking of going with a Rosewood top wood since that'd balance out the brightness of the Alder body. Or if I went with the Mahogany body I was thinking of getting a Hard Maple top wood to brighten up the warm mahogany tone.

So all in all, which combination would be a better choice for metal lead guitar playing, with sparkling bright tone and tons of sustain? I have an ibanez S470 at the moment so I already have a mahogany guitar thats quilted in maple, so do you think I should go with Alder and rosewood?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Yeaaah I find my mahogany has a beautiful full sound thats really warm, is it better for metal solo'ing though? Like cutting through heavy rhythms and such?
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
yeah I know that my RG is made of mahogany and it is awesome! I love the sustain and warm tone. I play a lot of metallica and it suites me perfectly! even though all the kirk hammett's signature models from ESP are alder...I like my mahogany for now, I will probably try out a alder body sometime but for now I love mahogany. lol
Yeah same here, I've never rocked out on an alder body guitar, and I own a mahogany already so I was thinking of heading in the other direction with this guitar, and trying out the Alder, but since I'm paying bigggggg money for this, I dont want to make the wrong decision and regret it.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Basswood?

Out of the two mahogany.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I never thought of basswood, I'll read into it some more. What about Korina? Honestly I'm up for any suggestions, I want this guitar to be exacly to my likings, so Im doing all this research. So far everyone is leaning towards mahogany.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
What's wrong with basswood? It's a perfectly acceptable wood.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
^It has one flaw, it's ugly.
I have no idea what I'm talking about. Don't belive me.
I'd like this guitar to look good, but the sound is more important to me, so I'll still consider basswood. Any other suggestions please?
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
If you want a brighter sounding guitar, the best wood would be alder. If you want to balance that out, use a mahogandy neck/rosewood fretboard, not a drop top. Drop tops can't necessarily balance out the features of the wood its on top of (that make sense?). Drop tops are purely for looks.

This is all I know. If you wait for a wood expert like Cord to come around, then he would be able to give you the low down.

Maybe you should go play a few Alder guitars and a few Mahogandy ones? Then pick the one you like the best.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Member #9 of the Samnung Has Crabs Club , PM Powerhouse to join

Custom Build
Sweet thanks man, I didnt know the top woods didnt balance out the characteristics of the body woods, that helps a lot. Whats the username of some wood experts on UG? I'll PM them, as maybe they'll have more information to help me out.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
I'd go with alder. In my opinion, mahogany is too dark and muddy for a good 7 string. If alder is too bright for your liking, then go with swamp ash. It's not as bright as alder but not as dark as mahogany. Basswood is good too. I tend to think of it as the tonewood that doesn't change the tone. Basswood really brings out the pickups, which is good if you have nice sounding pickups, but bad if your pickups are crap.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Mar 20, 2007,
Sweet thanks a lot, yeah I'm leaning towards an Alder body, since I already have a mahogany bodied guitar, I'd like to have an Alder body so I can have the choice of playing with a dark tone with my S470, or a bright tone for shredding up a storm with my alder body. Do you have any suggestions for a good fingerboard match to go with the Alder body? What would balance it out well? Should I lean towards rosewood?
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
I think your logic sounds good. You should probably go with the Alder w/rosewood fretboard. That would probably be good for what you want to do. Some of the high end jacksons like the soloist and DKMG are made of alder I believe.
Yeaah I have a Jackson 06 model magazine in front of me, and the soloists are made of alder, which is one of the reasons Im leaning towards it. I think it'll turn out to be a beautiful alder custom guitar and I'm getting very excited to finish my preorder form. Thanks for everyones help, and I'm still open to suggestions if anyone has any. =)
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
I think the feel of the fretboard is way more important than the actual tone. Get whatever feels best for you.
Not taking any online orders.
Hmm I'll have to go try out a bunch of different fretboards then, I really like the fretboards on the RG prestige guitars, and my S470 so I think I'll be getting the rosewood anyway.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded