I tried using the search button but didn't find anything that satisfied me.

Anyways, I've been playing for about 2 years now and I want to learn how to shred despite the fact that I don't listen to the genres that use shredding and I'm alt-picking challenged.

The main stuff I play are Muse, Radiohead, the Strokes, and Weezer.

Any tips on shredding or alt-picking? Or any songs for n00b wannabe shredders to learn (something simple and easy to warm me up to the genre)?
Don't learn how to shred and show off. Learn how to create music and improvise - since that is what the guitar is for. And for God's sake, 2 years and still playing covers?

But if you must know, learn scales. Lots of scales - every single not on the fretboard for each scale (Not just the box scales where you stay in one position and go up and down). Do so, and play them really fast. Sweeping arpeggios, tapping and all sorts of legatos, and heavy bending are essential as well.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
Last edited by Dimebag Dave at Mar 19, 2007,
alt-picking is all in how you hold the pick dude, just try some different methods until you can find one that will allow you to not play fast, but to play constant and in tempo
I've been playing 2 years but it's been really on and off because of school (maybe just a couple of hours of playtime a week). I've been learning scales but I just can't get that speed, and I'm not trying to do it to show off, it's just so I can prove to myself that I can do it/getting comfortable and confident with the guitar... like I said, I'm not really into the shredding thing. Maybe just more serious practice?
look up michael angelo batio's lessons in Guitar World every month. his lessons will probably help you with everything you mentioned.
when you get down to speed, it's just a metter of that the people you look up to have been playing upwards of two decades, not two years, and experience isn't given, it's earned through years of playing and learning, something you never stop doing.
IMO, Eruption is the perfect way to start learning shredding. The 8p5p0 8p5p0 part in the beginning is a good way to not only learn legato, but also strengthens your fingers. The 12 16 19 17 14 16 12 part (the bit of Bach) is a great way to learn alternate picking. And the tapping section is...well, a great way to learn tapping.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by hurbz
umm... n00b time.. what is tapping?

When people say tapping, they usually mean two-hand tapping. Two-hand tapping is when you use any of the fingers on your strumming hand to fret a note. For example, here's a two-hand tapping lick:

e- - - - - -
B- T 9p2h5
G- - - - - -
D- - - - - -
A- - - - - -
E- - - - - -

Here, you would use either the pointer or the middle finger of your strumming hand to strike the B string at the 9th fret while holding your index finger of your fretting hand at the 2nd fret. Then, you pull it off like you would a normal pulloff, and you hammeron any other fretting hand finger at the 5th fret. It's pretty simple.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
just out of curiosity, about how many hours a day would any of you recommend I dedicate to practicing shredding... just alt picking in general? I know it's going to take a while (I'm not expecting results after a couple of hours) but I getting discouraged because the more I try it, the worse it seems to get and the more I realize how much of a n00b I really am =(
I tried using the search button but didn't find anything that satisfied me.

Anyways, I've been playing for about 2 years now and I want to learn how to shred despite the fact that I don't listen to the genres that use shredding and I'm alt-picking challenged.

The main stuff I play are Muse, Radiohead, the Strokes, and Weezer.

Any tips on shredding or alt-picking? Or any songs for n00b wannabe shredders to learn (something simple and easy to warm me up to the genre)?

Listen to some shred stuff first before you even think about playing, although in honestly I think it's a lame idea. Play what you enjoy, not what you think you should be playing. If you think it'll make you look cool though, a good introduction to instrumental stuff are the big names, probably the two most accessible albums in the genre are Surfing With The Alien by Joe Satriani and Passion & Warfare by Steve Vai.

Listen to them and enjoy them. If you don't enjoy them then why do you want to learn their stuff? You should be looking to the players you already admire for inspiration and things to aim for. If you do enjoy them go looking for more stuff - if you're that interested I'm sure you can get off your backside and do a little research of your own
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com