Well, hello, I picked up playing guitar yesterday when I receieved my very first Schecter, (I have no idea what kind,) from my cousin. I bought a 40 watt amp today, and then I borrowed a cable from a friend.
My brother showed me how to palm-strum? Or something like that, but I wanted to learn some real guitar songs that some of the artists play.

So far, he has suggested Weezer and Blink 182 for very good starter songs to play. That's what i'm aiming for.

Is there anything to watch out for when my fingers hurts, or any tips for this young person yearning to learn guitar?

Thanks, any suggestions are welcome.
-Breakdown.

PS. I'm 14 years old, No reason why I said that.
Theres not too much to watch out for when you fingers hurt. Look up some lessons here on UG and theres a forum called Guitar & Bass Basics where you might find more answers.
And welcome to UG!
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
dude......when i was first startin i played smoke on the water(obviously),pretty woman,and lots of green day like holiday,american idiot ans other crap but i would suggest learn scales,and if ur fingers hurt....keep on playing.by the way....do u mean "palm muting"??
It's palm-muting you refer to btw. What kind of music do you like? it's a good idea to start with songs you're familiar with. Besides, you HAVE to learn Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple...it's like an unwritten rule. Just don't go playing it in guitar shops though.
when your fingers hurt, keep going. when they hurt even more, then go for just one more note and then rest. i've found that by going that extra bit, it really does make a difference... and it helps to build callouses if you're playing an old acoustic, but that's just how i learned...
Quote by last_biscuit
It's palm-muting you refer to btw. What kind of music do you like? it's a good idea to start with songs you're familiar with. Besides, you HAVE to learn Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple...it's like an unwritten rule. Just don't go playing it in guitar shops though.

also you might want to learn crazy train. most people i know can play that little intro riff, but once you get better, then go for the whole song.... but i wouldn't attempt it just yet. there are some funky chords and severe shredding in the solo...
Thank you for your kindness and advice, and I have gotten the first riff on All the Small things. I started guitaring today, because I got my amp and cable today, so yeah. My fingers aren't really killing me that much, just my ring finger won't come out with the notes yet.

I learned how to read a tab, amazingly. Thank you for the warm welcomes.

Blink 182 and Weezer, i'm going to go for those songs. I already am, for Blink 182: All the Small things. I'll look at the basics, and thank you so much.
learn all teh cords really well first
HARDCORE GROUPIE OF THE LENGENDARY ZEPPELINISM
PM The Heartbreaker to join(you should join ) !!

TEH BEST THREAD EVER =]

Quote by DownInAHole.
3 times I've been sigged!

actually four now..^^^