I don't know if this is the right thread, but I need someone to hear my songs and make a comment about them (they are not real songs, they are guitar pro tabs, I made them using the software). These are the firsts songs that I make (some are not so good) so don't take it to harsh.

I'd already uploded them but I want to know some suggestions before doing more of them. And they do not have a speciffic genre, they are just music.

Any comment about them or suggestions of how to make them better would be apreciated.
Attachments:
My Tabs.zip
i decided to give it a shot and crit a few but when I downloaded them I noticed they were GP5, I have GP4. dont ask why.

You can export the tabs in GP4 format and I can listen to them that way but if not thats cool...

I've made 4 full length songs on Guitar Pro as well.. One thats around 8 minutes and the others are around the four minute mark. I've also made a bunch of bunch of small songs, little collections of riffs and things.

I could go crit for crit if you decide to upload your songs in GP4 format.
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Were these songs actually in any key or where you just throwing random notes in? I'm sorry, I don't want to sound like a complete asshole, these are really bad. Can you actually play an instrument?
I wrote this songs in highschool throwing random notes, just to see how it would sound, then I put them some other things. I don't know if they are in key, and I don't really play instruments, but I began playing guitar (I went to 4 classes though) and I do not know a thing about music theory (the keys, scales, and that kind of stuff).

Some of them sounded good to me, but I'm no expert, so I wanted some opinions of them just to check.

By the way, I uploded them in gp4 format now.
Attachments:
My tabs in GP4.zip
Also I did every instrument in a separate way from each other, so they rarely connect, but it is try...so it may be better to hear each instrument separately.

And also I did like 1 of them per day (more or less), so they are just like experiments.
i think you're quite skilled in creating the most horrendously dissonant, polyphonic music I've heard in a while.

i think some of them sound quite good when I block out the voice in my mind that says "Thats not how music is supposed to sound." Because the way that music is "supposed to sound" is something that has been programmed into almost all of us and it needs to die...a horrible death...at the hands of free form, expressive music.

that arcanium song is pretty haunting...lol, evil sounding banjo...i like it.

you must know a pretty good deal about rhythms (whether its consciously or subconsciously) because your songs have some peculiar rhythms, you know...unusual sounding note values and ties and stuff...sometimes it borders on cereal music...but not really..

I've only heard the first 2 but I'll listen to the rest later when I come back from my band practice...

lol, it certainly sounds like you did each instrument separately...thats what I thought when I heard them...

i might add drums to some of the songs, just to play around with them...i dunno.

<EDIT/Retraction> The comment about dissonance was really only referring to the first 2, the ones that i heard...I just heard the next two and the basslines on them are pretty good...are you a bassplayer? I think you are, if not then you should be, assuming you could learn to play what you wrote.

i'll comment on the rest later.
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Mar 20, 2007,
I just came from my guitar lessons.
Thank you about that, cause I was relying in the rythms and tunes of the songs (as my skills aren't developed yet, in a way of saying).

I didn't put drums because I don't really understand how to put them (and it seems like a lot of trouble to do so).

I did each instrument separately 'cause I did them in school, so I couldn't imagine quite well how each of them would sound together, but when I passed them to guitar pro, I left them as they were (although not all of the songs were made in my class, but sometimes when I practiced at guitar I would come up with a catchy tune or something).

Yeah, I also thought the basslines (some of them) were good, and I am a fan of slap bass (yes, I love Flea) and I did some of those bass solos (like the Craqueum and Zarmenium and Verilium) with some inspiration.
I appreciate your concern, but I'm not a bass player (now I am starting to play guitar, but I also played keybord when I was young), and now I'm interested in playing guitar and learning some music theory (so I could make better songs), well, but thank you for that!

Hope you can comment on the other songs soon!!!
i will...soon.

yea, I noticed you were a slap bass lover

btw for drums, heres a very basic tutorial from yours truly..

What I did to start off on writing drums for my songs was something like this:
(note: all notes are sixteenth notes, R=rest, 46=open hi hat, 36=bass drum, 40=snare)

46 R R R 46 R R R 46 R R R 46 R R R 
 |                 |             
36                40      

This is a standard rock beat, written in Guitar Pro format...Its Bass.Hat.Snare.Hat. etc ...a la incredible mouth man lol.

anyway, I would just put something like that in every measure and then alter it from there, filling in the sixteenth rests with whatever would fit...double pedal rolls, tom fills, different cymbals, etc...I would also alter the snare and bass parts to fit the song of course...But now I usually do that without adding the first bass or snare, I just do the 4/4 cymbal (or 7/8 or 11/16, or w/e time I'm writing in) and turn the sixteenth rests in between into different drum patterns...

Heres a list of the drums/cymbals you'll probably use the most if you start writing drum parts:
49 and 57=crash cymbals
43, 45, 47 and 48=toms
51=ride cymbal
44=closed hi hat
36=bass drum
40=snare drum
46=open hi hat

those are the numbers on GP4, I'm not sure about GP5 tho it should be the same...

just thought I'd put this out here in case you want to write drums for any song, I think adding drums adds a whole new dimension to writing on GP and it can really make a simple riff or w/e come alive...it also helps your rhythms as well, reading and writing...

Thanks you a lot for that!
Now I'm using that beat in one of the songs I wrote.
But also I did a different drumbeat (I think) in another one (the one with the banjo), so here it is:
Attachments:
Arcanium.zip
I do not think in any form of the words that I am a pro musician. However, today I wrote an entire song, and I cant stop listening to it. I wanted a natural talent for music but never got it, so when this happened I was truly inspired. whats this have to do with you.... Well, when you want to write a good song, nothing should stop you. WHat I did to learn the drum beats was download one of my fav bands songs, the pixies in this case, and learn that. Now I have, what I consider to be, an awesome song. I listened to your songs and four words came to mind. System of a downesque, without the awesome talent. Now Im not trashing you, cause one day soon I wanna start a band......... So dont burn bridges. You got a talent, sortof. Put what you know about your obvious bass playing and work it out... You are talented dude. I know electric guitar.. Barely, but I wrote bass, drums and accompanying piano just out of inspiration. Get yours, write from the heart and maybe one day our tour buses will collide on the interstate and we could laugh at this post. Good luck dude!
I do not think in any form of the words that I am a pro musician. However, today I wrote an entire song, and I cant stop listening to it. I wanted a natural talent for music but never got it, so when this happened I was truly inspired. whats this have to do with you.... Well, when you want to write a good song, nothing should stop you. WHat I did to learn the drum beats was download one of my fav bands songs, the pixies in this case, and learn that. Now I have, what I consider to be, an awesome song. I listened to your songs and four words came to mind. System of a downesque, without the awesome talent. Now Im not trashing you, cause one day soon I wanna start a band......... So dont burn bridges. You got a talent, sortof. Put what you know about your obvious bass playing and work it out... You are talented dude. I know electric guitar.. Barely, but I wrote bass, drums and accompanying piano just out of inspiration. Get yours, write from the heart and maybe one day our tour buses will collide on the interstate and we could laugh at this post. Good luck dude!
Another thing, if the chorus part in the Instantanium song sound similar to The Lemon Song, its a coincidence cause I was just messing with some chords
Also I've been worknig in these 2 songs and they are not complete. I think they are pure noises, but, what the heck, I put the others so why not put these ones.
Attachments:
New songs.zip
I made a compilation of my basslines, so people don't have to stand my songs to hear them (I've had some complaints ), so instead of recomending my songs recomend these (with the cool partiture of piano of Escorpium ). Hope people enjoy these
Attachments:
Bass compilation.zip