well see i have the crate gt 212 amp its nice but just not loud enough and ive been wanting a fullstack.

so heres the question ive been lookin at the gt1200 head with the g412 cab its the same thing as the amp i got now its just got more power and more speakers but i do love being used to the set up and haveing that verstility as that amp. so should i buy it or look at something else?
I would look at a marshall... Crate is really not a good amp company, bunch of phony amps.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
big disagreement there lol, crate pwns at all that is amp making,

i'm playing through pretty much that exact same rig only with a 65w instead of the head...rofl head next month...point being, it's a damn good option crate make probably the best SS amps out,

my advice, go right ahead and get that stack and shred like a guy who shreds alot
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
as i see by ur icon u must play metal
some cheap metal heads are peavey valveking, peavey xxl and b-52 at-100.
jus go to the nearest guitar store and check em out and which ever u like the most get
It depends on what style you play..and your other equipment.. You should really go about trying out different stacks and such with your guitar. I know a lot of guitar shops that let you bring your guitar in to try out an amp.
well my other equitment would be an ibanez rg270 a digithech death metal distortion and i do play metal, pure metal
Ok you dont need a full stack. Pros use them yes why, mainly looks. By the time you get 8 12" speakers cranked to where it gets that nice cranked tone you and the first 10 rows are deaf. If i were you i would just save that money that you would have spent on the cab and put it twoards a better amp. A half stack will do just fine. Dont think its gonna be loud enough? Mic it, simple as that.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Honestly a fullstack is useless. If you want great tone and would like to hear when your 40 then get a decent head and a nice 2x12 cab or one 4x12, more than youll ever need.
if you can be convinced to a 2x12 then for the same money you could go tube

and many will tell you they'd rather have a 2x12 cranked then a 4x12 at half volume when it comes to tube
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
I think he's actually talking about a halfstack, he only mentioned one cabinet.

Personally, the only Crate I'd use to play metal with is a Blue Voodoo120. They're pretty damn good amps and can be gotten pretty cheap, especially if you go used on Ebay.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by ericgentz
I would look at a marshall... Crate is really not a good amp company, bunch of phony amps.

Dude, go play one of the Palimino amps and come tell me Crate isnt a good company.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Yeah, uh, for the price, you should try out B-52. Or, I think Randall has a nice half stack for like $500, and Randall over all is the perfect metal amp for people who cant afford tubes.
Maybe a used Peavey 5150/6505 and a 4x12 cab....the peavey isn't very expensive, i've seen them go for under 600 dollars
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Aww I thought he genuinely meant a FULLstack. Hmm Does anyone on UG even own a full stack? (A decent one) I can have a orange 4x12/MG 4x12 fullstack for a little while maybe haha. 'Cos that would be cool.
Quote by warriorde52
well see i have the crate gt 212 amp its nice but just not loud enough and ive been wanting a fullstack.

so heres the question ive been lookin at the gt1200 head with the g412 cab its the same thing as the amp i got now its just got more power and more speakers but i do love being used to the set up and haveing that verstility as that amp. so should i buy it or look at something else?

well if you go tube then interesting results will follow, by the way wattage means shit all as the difference between 50watts and 100 watts i believe is 3 decibels. so if your looking for loud shit its usually tube amps and micing them
im suprised no one has asked yet.

Why do you want a half stack? To look cool? Or is it not loud enough?

I doubt its not loud enough, plus crate ss amps aren't great, i used to have one but now i just use its speakers.
if the gt1200h is the one I'm thinking of, it sounds like crap.

basically, not too big of a budget + decent fullstack = not possible (unless you get an absolutely killer used deal).

Best bet is a good combo, rather than a cheap, poor stack.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd think about it before you buy a full stack. You really don't need one. I don't care who you are or how loud you like your music, but you really don't need one.
A single cab is plenty for volume, stacks are mainly there for aesthetics. Even if you're playing Wembley stadium you don't need one - any decent venue will simply mic you up. As for a bedroom, 2 cabs would be silly.
Quote by ericgentz

You've never tried their tube amps have you? BoDiddley, Paul Phillips of puddle of mud, Joe Walsh of the Eagles, Billy F. Gibbons of ZZtop, and Brian Baker and Greg Hetson of Bad Religion, all use Crate V series amps, I own the palomino of them, and I must say, I love this amp.

Plus they aren't quite the price of marshalls, and marshall is mostly markup(which is why their amps are $1500, as opposed to just $1000)

However onto the question, I would definitly get a 30w 2x12 combo. It's more balls than you can believe. Tube is 3-4 times louder, a 2x12 will blow the eyebrows off the back row.
Though, you want to get just under what you think you need, because even with a master volume, it only controls the power going into the preamp, to get a natural powertube distortion, you still need to turn up the volume. If youre at a show and only can play at half volume, you aren't rocking as hard as you could. Personally, I think a 15w 1x12 is enough for a small gig of 100-200 people. Wide open it's louder than the drummer to a large degree, and if you need it any louder, the drummer is already hooked to a PA, and you can mic the amp at full volume. Tube amps are all about getting them as loud as possible.
Last edited by Schecter1277 at Mar 20, 2007,
Quote by Shredder XXX
big disagreement there lol, crate pwns at all that is amp making,

i'm playing through pretty much that exact same rig only with a 65w instead of the head...rofl head next month...point being, it's a damn good option crate make probably the best SS amps out,

my advice, go right ahead and get that stack and shred like a guy who shreds alot

...Dude. I agree with this guy. As a matter of fact Im going out right now to sell my Triple Recto for a SS Crate FULLstack.

Anyways, you really dont need a full or even a halfstack really...check out B-52 amps. Good bang for your buck.