So for those who get all touchy when some idiot says "punk is dead"
Explain to me the scene of today, how punk can still be punk, and what does it stand for now?

I used to be so into punk, then one day I just realized how close minded, and cliche being "punk" is. When i originally thought it was about being original, and thus being open to new things. Now i'm really into indie music, which stands for everything I thought being "punk" was about, besides the sound of the music itself.
peace & chemicals
search bar man this has been done so many times, punk is not dead it's just hiding, probably from you... SEARCH BEFORE YOU POST!
We never grasp self-realization, we are two abysses; A well staring at the sky.........
punk has evolved, the concepts of it always have/did, its just not in the form of punk if you know what i mean
agreed, the punk of old is gone,they wore saftey pins bak in the day for a reason. generally, the industy today is to stuck on makin $$$ and "recreating" old sounds, when was the last 100% analogue punk album? evrything is digital and it sounds so bad now. When the new york dolls arn't even producing real punk then theres no chance of any other bands playin the old style punk.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
search bar man this has been done so many times, punk is not dead it's just hiding, probably from you... SEARCH BEFORE YOU POST!

chill dude, this is a different thread then the punk is dead thread, i'm asking about today's scene and how it exist and how's it possible for punk to be original when modern punks all seem very cliche. You guys are so excited to try to say something is wrong, why dont you stop ****ing spamming my thread ****tard.
peace & chemicals
Quote by anti
chill dude, this is a different thread then the punk is dead thread, i'm asking about today's scene and how it exist and how's it possible for punk to be original when modern punks all seem very cliche. You guys are so excited to try to say something is wrong, why dont you stop ****ing spamming my thread ****tard.

It only looks cliche when you glance at it. Look harder.
Live fast, die young.
okay fag you wanna know what happened to punk, and I mean the real punk bitch,
It became hardcore in the 80's when it stopped being "cool" to call it punk, then hardcore changed into the shit they're calling hardcore now. the punk movement still exists there are a few bands that keep it "alive" every couple of years, fugazi, and bad religion are a couple of examples, punk spirit wont die because it's always underestimated. as are the peple who are punk rockers themselves. so there you go ya wanker.
We never grasp self-realization, we are two abysses; A well staring at the sky.........
Quote by IROBOTInferno
okay fag you wanna know what happened to punk, and I mean the real punk bitch,
It became hardcore in the 80's when it stopped being "cool" to call it punk, then hardcore changed into the shit they're calling hardcore now. the punk movement still exists there are a few bands that keep it "alive" every couple of years, fugazi, and bad religion are a couple of examples, punk spirit wont die because it's always underestimated. as are the peple who are punk rockers themselves. so there you go ya wanker.

Bad Religion is pop punk, and most people don't even consider Fugazi a punk band. They were more so an experimental hardcore band, but thank you for actually trying to answer my question.
peace & chemicals
When people use the term punk nowadays, they are talking about the fashion, and crappy pop-punk bands that go along with it.
People get into punk cause it looks cool, not cause thats how they think, or that the ideals appeal to them.
I consider myself punk not cause I wear leather jackets and spikes, crazy ****in hair, a million piercings, or how ever a "punk" is supposed to look like. But because I dont care how I dress, how my hair is, what kind of music I listen to. I dont give a shit about the things happening in the world around me, or about you, or your dying cousin. um... I forgot what I was going on about. so sorry if you choose to read this, but if you agree..****in eh man
Ibanez SAS36FM
VOX AD100VT
Barracuda Stratocaster
Kustom Solo16 amp
Vagabong 6-string Acoustic guitar
Yamaha 12 string Acoustic Guitar
antually if you want to get into tecnicality bands like bad religion and rise against are "melodic hardcore", and fugazi are not punk i'm just giving you a history lesson, thats what punk had progressed to because you can only pound powerchords for so long. if you wnat to know more about punk what it really means and evolved into, 24 hour party people. the idea of punk and the movement is more than a sound. it's an idea of excersising the freedom of speech or lackthere of to create something provocitive and important.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
okay fag

you say fag like its a bad thing
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by petetheelite
bad religion pop punk?? pop punk is basically bands who compromise there sound to sell records.

Although I like your definition, the bands you must be thinking of are just pop-rock (eq. blink, green day...) . There is alot of good pop-punk out there (eg. Descendents, The Vandals..) so nothing against pop-punk.
peace & chemicals
oh sorry am i not being pc enough for you califionians? lol if your gay it's cool i was just getting his attention.
Punk lives in those that know the walking cliches aren't all there is to today's punk scene.

Quote by IROBOTInferno
oh sorry am i not being pc enough for you califionians? lol if your gay it's cool i was just getting his attention.

We don tekk nice ta yer kind round these here parts
Quote by IROBOTInferno
antually if you want to get into tecnicality bands like bad religion and rise against are "melodic hardcore", and fugazi are not punk i'm just giving you a history lesson, thats what punk had progressed to because you can only pound powerchords for so long. if you wnat to know more about punk what it really means and evolved into, 24 hour party people. the idea of punk and the movement is more than a sound. it's an idea of excersising the freedom of speech or lackthere of to create something provocitive and important.

ANTUALLY, if you want to get really into TECNICALITY, you can't spell, you don't know what you're talking about, and I don't know what the **** you are trying to prove here.
peace & chemicals
This thread is already getting ridiculously out of hand and it's only a couple hours old.

On top of that;

Quote by IROBOTInferno
punk had progressed to because you can only pound powerchords for so long.

Can someone hold me back please?

I've had just about enough "punk is power chords" as I can take.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
no i can't spell worth anything, but you don't know what your talking about at all, the punk movent is about an idea of freedom, and giving a shit and that being okay. I'm just saying the punk movent wont die. and as long as people find freedom in that music it wont ever die. my point is punk isn't dead.
I know what your talking about anti. it seems all the bands are the same, some kind of crappy hardcore with a punk label on it. I don't know anymore. I don't like my indie scene around here, that is for sure; the ska scene is too ska-core. I think im gonna redefine my scene!
Quote by abrasivepunk138
I know what your talking about anti. it seems all the bands are the same, some kind of crappy hardcore with a punk label on it. I don't know anymore. I don't like my indie scene around here, that is for sure; the ska scene is too ska-core. I think im gonna redefine my scene!

garage rock is where its at- I wanna start a 60's garage inspired punk band, I've just got to find or trick some people into playing it with me.

And when did mike2 get banned?
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't know why anyone wont just post legitimate answers to my questions, there are three of them. I know the title of this thread is scary with that question mark and all, but the thread has three questions, which I thought I presented in a somewhat clear matter:
"Explain to me the scene of today, how punk can still be punk, and what does it stand for now?
"
peace & chemicals
Quote by RockThe40oz
I tried that once, but the people around here never took to it.. and who am I to tell them how to run their scene? I only live here for college.

dude, that is what i am afraid of; the street and hardcore bands are very closed minded...
I think punk rock needs a revival, someone get Rev. Al Sharpton!
peace & chemicals
After I listened to punk for about 2 years and figured out what it was all about it was extremely disappointing to find out that my scene is just full of a bunch of wankers that don't even know what punk is other then getting high at concerts.
What's up?
Quote by HPLoveCraft
After I listened to punk for about 2 years and figured out what it was all about it was extremely disappointing to find out that my scene is just full of a bunch of wankers that don't even know what punk is other then getting high at concerts.

Yeah getting high at concerts goes for all genres of music.
peace & chemicals
The only other thing I have to bring to such an abortion of a conversation is as follows:

On top of that, comparing Indie to punk is a complete joke.

Indie is slow, boring, rich kid dominated music that‘s watered down by the industry, with hundreds of terrible bands I’ve had to A.) listen to B.) hear about how great they are everywhere I ****ing go C.) Set up mics for D.) intonate guitars for E.) Do the sound for at shows F.) Soundcheck at shows G.) Mind their guitar cases, marshall DSL amps that daddy bought them while they play stupid music for drunk people H.) see their stupid hair and E.) record because there’s no other bands to record, you record an Indie band, or you get a zero and drop out and its back to ****ing sainsburys.

They even put their snakebites (that’s a blackcurrant soft drink that students drink btw for those not in the know) on top of the guitar amps.

Seriously, how punk is “I bet you look good on the dance floor”?

It’s a positive social commentary on the people who go clubbing and consume half their weight in WKD every night of the week, listen to a band because the NME, which is essentially a pimp for the record industry tells them to.

If I want girls to like me, I have to listen to the Kooks and watch their stupid straw hats.

Not punk.

Sure, everyone likes to go out and meet people and maybe get laid by pretending you’re a roadie, whatever floats your boat, but punk and Indie are separate things. You can’t physically say that Indie solves punk’s shortcomings because it doesn’t even solve or reflect punk’s strength.

Until recently I was an active member for an independent alternative record label, which meant, in ethos, that it would be an opportunity to give a say to the groups that don’t get a chance to.

So what happened? Well, it’s very simple. This record label has decided that it will only put out Indie bands on its compilation. It’s only going to have Indie bands at its gigs. Because people don’t want to hear glam bands like the trash kittens.

Trash Kittens won’t make you any money because it’s too alternative to be alternative. Alternative venues in Southampton won’t have the trash kittens because they’re too alternative.

In this day and age it’s not punk rock to be on a major label, you have to go Indie.

You’re wrong Joe Public, there’s no ****ing difference, you’ll still be stapled to the ****ing bandwagon.

I’ll be the first to admit that punk has its problems, but nothing is going to make that better, not new wave, not grunge, and definitely not goddam indie.

/rant.

Thank you.
exactly.

the closest things i've seen to punk around here are a hardcore band with very punk riffs and a skatepunk band that has only ever played one all-ages gig, and spends all their time either drinking or bragging about how much they drink, which has been done to death by every other ****ing punk band.

what hasn't been done to death is the pure arrogance of the original punks. i got no feelings for anybody else, i'm in love with myself...i'll kick you in the brains when you go down and kneel and pray...the pistols had ****ing arrogant lyrics.

maybe try doing them for a change instead of saying "i got so ****ing wasted last night, it was awesome"
ok, this song is called "i got shitfaced"
this next one is called "to pissed to remember who the **** you are"
ok, we're going to do a cover now, this is called "6-pack!"

seriously, drinking has been done waaaay to much in punk lyrics

to me, you don't have to be the most original band out there...but do something different. even if you're a ripoff of the damned but you use harmonic minor scales instead of whatever the **** the damned use...it's better than being just another shitty indie band and ripping off the pixies all the time

but yeah, a lot of the people that say they're punk just aren't. they jump on the alternative / pop bandwagons that are going around, so they can go to melbourne, get signed to some big label, play shows to thousands of people at a time, and spend the rest of their lives wearing shitty clothes because you have to look like jet to be a proper rock band.

it's never just about having fun anymore. it's ****ing boring
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

The bit about the indies gave me the chills man, it's so true. They have a 'punk' night at my local venue, and... god i hate the shite they play too much to explain it.
www.myspace.com/heathamhouse
So i started a band, we're gunna show em what it's really about. I don't care if all the indies say 'what the **** is this shite, i'm leaving' and we end up playing to lke 2 people, i don't know why i want to do it it, i just do.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group