I just ordered a Peavey Valveking 212, but Im not sure im going to like it very much. I would much rather get a B-52 AT 212, but it is 700. I saw a new B-52 AT 100 head for 400. In this case is getting a half stack better than getting a combo. I know this is usually not a good idea but it would be cheaper so any thoughts would be appreciated.
My Gear:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
B-52 AT-100 Half stack
Boss GT-10
Breedlove AD25SR Plus
Yamaha EG112C
Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Wd-7 wah
Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0, 1.5, 1.14
I have the AT-100 and a Marshall Cab. It just depends on if you are going to move it alot. A Cab and head are not the lightest things to move around..I would imagine the head and cab would be louder to..
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
well I wouldn't be moving it a whole lot, but I really don't mind carrying stuff around. Heavy stuff isn't a problem.
My Gear:
B-52 AT-100 Half stack
Boss GT-10
Breedlove AD25SR Plus
Yamaha EG112C
Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Wd-7 wah
I would go with the head and cab then.. B-52s website say's the speakers in their cabs are designed specificaly for the AT head so you should look into those also.

Good luck..
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
just my 2 cents:
i've played a B52 AT, dunno how many watts, but the overdrive/distortion tone was kinda thinish imo. Then again im so used to the thick tone of my amp. So ya, you may or may not like it, give it a try first.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
I own the valveking, its 100watt which is plenty and the tone is the best I've ever used for blues but if you want a propper crunch you'll need an effects pedal.
i have the combo and im in love with it.........the good thing about these combos is that it has an extra parallel port so you can attach a can later on if you want. My personal opinion is this amp sounds great for heavier tones. The overdrive channel i think is the best you can get with out adding pedals on any amp. I have heard people tell me they like my amp better then there mesa amps. Also this amp has 3 modes(tubae a, ab, and solid state) along with the tri mode rectifier, you can get so many sounds out of this amp. This thing can bite so if you want more of that punch then get the cab, if not just wait and you can expand down the road.
well I understand the valveking is good for blues but i play metal, thrash, all that heavy shit so I don't really think its the right amp for me. I have a metal zone pedal so that might give me some sick tones but I would rather not use a pedal
My Gear:
B-52 AT-100 Half stack
Boss GT-10
Breedlove AD25SR Plus
Yamaha EG112C
Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Wd-7 wah
no this is the amp for you it has high gain.....two of them its not nu-metal sounding either....if u use a pedal through this amp u will have too much gain
can you add distortion pedals to tube amps and still sound good or do only overdrive pedals sound good?
My Gear:
B-52 AT-100 Half stack
Boss GT-10
Breedlove AD25SR Plus
Yamaha EG112C
Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Wd-7 wah
firstly, the boss mt-2 is awful.

secondly, to answer your latest question....
the best way to get a decent heavy tone out of a tube amp is to crank it and overdrive it.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
I have the AT-212. It can dial some great metal tones. Even death metal. Without any pedals. I preferred it to the Valveking by a huge margin. From my experience, I think you would appreciate the B-52 a lot more than the Valveking.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Well I'm thinking about Keeping my valveking for a little while to see how it fits me, but if it doesn't then im just gonna sell it and buy a b-52 because I have heard nothing but good things about b-52's. I have another question though.? Is it true that the b-52 at 212 has a total of 12 tubes???
My Gear:
B-52 AT-100 Half stack
Boss GT-10
Breedlove AD25SR Plus
Yamaha EG112C
Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Wd-7 wah
Hold on, I'll count.

...yup, four 6L6 Power Tubes, four 12AX7 Preamp Tubes, a 12AX7 Reverb Tube, a 5AR4 Rectifier Tube, a 12AX7 Effects Loop tube, and finally a 12AX7 Phase Inverter tube. Some tubes need to be changed a lot less often than others. Don't let this get you down.

EDIT:
I just had to.

You count.
My Gear:
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
Last edited by soccerdude3465 at Mar 21, 2007,
Quote by guitarmenace12
can you add distortion pedals to tube amps and still sound good or do only overdrive pedals sound good?

I use a distortion and an overdrive through my tube amp, sounds pretty good to me, so yes, you can.
damn the valveking only has 7 tubes. I am definitely going to get that b-52 then, i just gotta save up a little bit.
My Gear:
B-52 AT-100 Half stack
Boss GT-10
Breedlove AD25SR Plus
Yamaha EG112C
Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Wd-7 wah
Quote by guitarmenace12
damn the valveking only has 7 tubes. I am definitely going to get that b-52 then, i just gotta save up a little bit.

Don't get it just based on amount of tubes. I think the AT-212 is higher wattage, and has the rectifier tube for a tighter sound.
My Gear:
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
I realize that the number of tubes isn't everything, but I really only bought the Valveking because I found a really good deal on it and I thought after playing it twice it was for me. At my guitar center the b-52's were all out of service so i really had nothing to compare the valveking to (except 1500 dollar half stacks). and the valveking and b 52 are both 100 watts.
My Gear:
B-52 AT-100 Half stack
Boss GT-10
Breedlove AD25SR Plus
Yamaha EG112C
Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Wd-7 wah
I have the b-52 at-212, it rocks! don't worry about volume, it's loud. I've never played the half stack but I've heard it's good. they're the same amp so they should sound similar. the speakers in both the b-52 cabs and combos are both custom-made, idk what kind they are. the 212 is actually pretty easy to move around, it just takes 2 guys to move up/down stairs (unless you're really strong). i would say go for whatever is cheaper. keep in mind with the 212 you can always attach a cab to it if you want. 400 is quite a steal for a new head though.

EDIT: yeah forgot to mention i tried the valveking, b-52 is definitely a much better sounding amp. i think you'll like it.
I just found out that the valveking is coming tomorrow or friday so Ill keep you guys posted on how that sounds. I really want the b 52 now. How much do you think I could sell a brand new valveking for. It sells for 620 at guitar center.
My Gear:
B-52 AT-100 Half stack
Boss GT-10
Breedlove AD25SR Plus
Yamaha EG112C
Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Wd-7 wah
I just recieved my Valveking, but im sending it back because it is damaged plus it doesn't sound that great anyway. Then I look at guitar Center for the b 52 and they raised the price of the b 52 at 212 back up to $750.
My Gear:
B-52 AT-100 Half stack
Boss GT-10
Breedlove AD25SR Plus
Yamaha EG112C
Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Wd-7 wah
bummer, it might come back down again. I'm getting the at-112 next saturday, and it went down to $400 from $550. That's such a steal really, $400 for 60 watts tube! If you get the b52, please keep me posted. The only negative thing i've heard about the combo's is durability issues, like bad wiring, which can be fixed though.
The Gearz:

Schecter Omen 6
B-52 At-100 head + 4x12 cab
Yamaha EG303
Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive
Hey I just saw the at 112 for 550 where did you see it for 400???
My Gear:
B-52 AT-100 Half stack
Boss GT-10
Breedlove AD25SR Plus
Yamaha EG112C
Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Wd-7 wah
oh yeah, on musiciansfriend, and sorry i completely read it wrong, i got so excited i saw 499 as 400, but still it WAS 500 for about an hour.
The Gearz:

Schecter Omen 6
B-52 At-100 head + 4x12 cab
Yamaha EG303
Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive
Wow, this valveking is a piece of shit. The distortion sucks so I plugged in a metal zone and it gets really muddy. How much do you guys think I could sell a Peavey Valveking 212 for if it has a 2 inch rip on the left side. It doesn't affect the sound at all its just a cosmetic thing.
My Gear:
B-52 AT-100 Half stack
Boss GT-10
Breedlove AD25SR Plus
Yamaha EG112C
Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Wd-7 wah