So I have a nice custom guitar I built a couple months ago and a 1980 Gibson Sone 180 Custom (basicly an old Les Paul with a less apealing finish and bad finger pickups, sounds the same). I love them both very dearly, but the other day I picked up my little sisters squier strat and was messing around. I used to have one of my own, and I never was a big fan of the bridge single coil, but man how my opinion has changed. Its sounds so clear, and it seemed to work so perfect for y sound(slightly overdriven tube amp, eq set with high mids high treble low bass, and a splash of reverb giving me a nice alt rock sound).

Anywho, I now hate my Dimarzio Tones Zone humbucker in my custom. I was wondering what humbucker out ther can most closesly reproduce a strat bridge pickup when coil tapped, or maybe even not coil tapped?
I have a guitar with coil taps, and I don't think it sounds that good, although that may just be my pickups. Just get single coils and put them in where the humbucker goes, and fill the whole with socks or something.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by avalanche930
why do that when i can have a humbucker and a single coi in the same spot?

because I don't think it sounds as good from personal expierience.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

My GIbson has a coil tap and it sound nice. It just doesnt sound like s strat because of the weight of the body and because of the pickups in it are nothing like strat pickups, but i dont want to change the pickups in it.
Quote by avalanche930
My GIbson has a coil tap and it sound nice. It just doesnt sound like s strat because of the weight of the body and because of the pickups in it are nothing like strat pickups, but i dont want to change the pickups in it.

Oh, well try to see if you can find the kind of humbucker that Fender puts in their Fat Strat.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

My only suggestion is to recommend getting a new guitar with single coils (ie, the strat...maybe even a tele )

What you will most likely find, is that after awhile, once you get used to the single coil sound, you will appreciate the humbuckers too, I think its only because its a new sound your interested in, hell, if I get a new guitar I play that guitar almost exclusively for ages, but then when the 'new' element of it dies down, I go back to alternating depending on what sounds I want, etc.

If you get rid of your humbuckers on your custom, you wont be able to go back (without hassle anyways) it'll be much easier, and you'll be much more versatile to get a mex strat or something like that.

BUT, if all that does not do it for you, the only single-coil ish humbucker I can think of is the p-90, but someone else may be able to help you abit more than moi with that aspect.
If you want to get the best single coil sound possible, while still having a humbucker, get two single coils, one which is reverse polarity, and put them in the humbucker space.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by Hakanku

BUT, if all that does not do it for you, the only single-coil ish humbucker I can think of is the p-90, but someone else may be able to help you abit more than moi with that aspect.

P-90s actually are singles, just with a big magnet so they're humbucker sized.
anyone know more about putting the 2 single coils in the space of one humbucker or anything nore about p-90 that fit in humbucker sized wholes?
Seymour Duncan makes some P90s that fit in a humbucker slot, but P90s sound different than single coils.

There are humbuckers that are meant to be coil split, like the Swineshead AMP and the SD Stag Mag.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.