I've been playing for like a year and seven months, and I'm told I'm pretty good, and I've written quite a few good songs, but I hear people talking about how easy songs like Crazy Train or Master of Puppets are, and I struggle a lot with those songs, especially the latter. Is being able to play super fast or difficult songs really important? Or by writing my own stuff and practicing scales can I continue to become a better player?
dont listen to what others say about songs. usually it ends up that theyre just bluffing/boasting. its a really good thing that you can come out and admit that somethings are just out of your reach; (songs like master of puppets are perfectly good songs to admit to!). anyways, just do your own thing. never worry about how others play or are progressing. learn your own way and at your own pace
Quote by becker009
dont listen to what others say about songs.

Quote by Spamwise
Yeah you're right, thanks.

I can't help but see the irony

He is right though. Good, unfortunately, is subjective. I can play a beatles song poorly, and grab the attention of the room and have people tell me how 'good' I am, or I can play a great classical piece only to have them lose interest a minute in.

Many musicians strive to play what they previously couldn't, so they can add those skills to their bag-o-expressive tools. It depends if your focus is lyrics or the music, I spose.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.

I can't help but see the irony

Lmao, I didn't notice that before.

He is right though. Good, unfortunately, is subjective. I can play a beatles song poorly, and grab the attention of the room and have people tell me how 'good' I am, or I can play a great classical piece only to have them lose interest a minute in.

This is true, however people who do know what they're talking about (like my teacher) say they think i'm good, I guess it's just confusing when you hear that anyone past the beginning stage of playing should be able to play something and I'm not able to.
Ahh, well are we talking technical ability?

Many people say that they can play that song, and many can. Many of those many have also spent the duration of their guitar playing careers trying to learn it, and many can probably only really play a mock version of it, with many mistakes and inconsistancies. People like to hide behind the internet when it comes to their playing, among other things.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.