What size amp would i need to be heard when playing with a 100 watt guitar amp. I was thinking 200, but some people have said as much as 400 watt. So what size amp should i get, and what sought of models there are in this power range that are affordable but still not peices of s--t.
well the bassist in my band uses a 350w for practice, and that sits nicely over my 65w without a cab, so i guess you'd be looking for a 300-400, the weaker ones can keep up but they crack something feirce
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Depends if your guitarist is using a cab and head or a 100 watt combo. Either way it doesn't hugely matter, just turn the guitar down if you can't hear yourself. Not about volume, it's about getting nice tones. Even when you're playing gigs usually the bass signal through the PA will come from taking a DI signal out of the amp, that's how I always run any live shows I mix.

So yeah, I'd be more focused on getting an amp with a nice sound rather than a loud amp.
My guitarist uses a 120w 1x12. I use a 240w head (at 80hms) with a 1x15 plus horn. We can both be heard over drums fine, and we balance well.

So I'd say keep it at least 200w. But remember, most amps (like mine) don't put out their full wattage at 8ohms. If I added another 8ohm cab I'd get 350w.

EDIT: My guitarists amp is solid state, if that were 120w valve there'd be no way I could go over him.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Last edited by TGM at Mar 20, 2007,
in general a bassists amp should be roughly 4x the wattage of the guitarists if the guitarists amp is a tube, and roughly 3x the wattage if solid state. But i agree with 'Weybl Himself' it's all about tone. E.g a 100w bass can sound right over a 100w guitar AND drums if EQ'd right
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
I have a 100W 1x15 + a 50W 1x12 amp setup and the guitarist in my band uses a 300W halfstack. He has to turn his WAY down, but I can still hear myself fine with headroom to spare!
It really depends on the tone you want.

If you want something thick and deep, then yes 100W will do with a 15"er. But if you want something with more treble that will take either more watts or a high amp on top.
The general concensus from professionals is that a bass player needs 4x the wattage a guitar player does, according to http://www.warwickbass.com/basssurvival101/lesson_home.htm .

I agree with that. Don't cheap out and get 4x the wattage.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
The general concensus from professionals is that a bass player needs 4x the wattage a guitar player does. I agree with that. Don't cheap out and get 4x the wattage.

Isn't that a contradiction, or at least a load of nonsense there?
I meant "don't cheap out and get 4x the wattage" to be "don't cheap out; get 4x the wattage."
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I meant "don't cheap out and get 4x the wattage" to be "don't cheap out; get 4x the wattage."

Ah! Sorry
One more thing to add, since solid state amps distort harshly, the more power the better. Headroom is a good thing here, which means that so is high wattage.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
my guitarists use a 50 watt combo and a 75 watt combo to keep up with them i use a 700 watt head and an 800 watt cab
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
with both my guitarists 100watters on 4 and gain around 7/8 (a 2x10 combo and a half stack) i am pretty well balanced at half with my 150watt with beautiful tone.

unless your playing for thousands of people you don't need anymore then this
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
In one of my bands, I'm playing with two guitarists using 2x12 100w combo's, and my 300w combo is more than capable of blowing them out of the water with room to spare.

My other band, both guitarists are running 100w heads into 4x12 cabs and with the same amp I'm comfortably running without breaking a sweat.

Large reason for this is probably the fact that I don't play with idiots that think ten is the ideal setting for everything.

unless your playing for thousands of people you don't need anymore then this

I still doubt you'd really need a huge amp for big venues. The PA does all the work in that situation.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
i still think 700 watts with 50 to the horn is essential
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land