Eh...first off, right now my main bass is an Ibanez SR505, if that helps with the second question at all.

Anyway, the fender question is about the Standard Precision and the Standard Jazz...seems like everyone has a preference for one or the other, and I'm curious as to why. They both sound great to me, but since I've realized that I don't like 5-strings, I'll soon be looking for a deal on one of these two. Now, I really hate to choose one over the other because it comes in a specific color(Precision Bass. Electron Blue. Sexy.), so I'm asking those of you who know to tell me why you prefer one over the other.... My playing style is mostly fingerstyle and slap bass, and I'm working on my tapping ability...and with one of these, I'm looking to start a funk-(Insert second genre here) band....

The second question is about muting...I don't get much sound out of playing/slapping muted strings, and I've noticed that Les Claypool's muted slaps sound almost drum-like. I was just curious as to why this is...am I playing them wrong, or do certain effects/amp settings alter the sound of muted notes? I ask, because I do a lot of slapping, and I'm always in search of better sound/tone.

As usual...any help is greatly appreciated, and all posters of unnecessary crap that wastes both of our time shall be banished to hell where they will spend an eternity being *********'d by a giant penguin in a coconut bikini and sarong to the theme from 'King of the Hill.'
yeah electron blue is sexy...especially when combined with a black pickguard.

i prefer p-bass for the looks and j-bass for the tone. the p-bass tone is fine but the j-bass tone is theubOUEBT PWNZORS
The J-bass is probably what you're looking for. The P-bass is a one trick pony: Booming rock. The J-bass is great for everything: Funk, Jazz, Rock, Metal, you name it it's good for it. The J-bass has a lot of versatility with it's two pickup options and just gets a better tone, in my opinion, than the P.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
The P-bass is a one trick pony: Booming rock.

Not true!

A P tone formed the foundation of Motown, tight grooves of early, pre-slap funk, thumpy, woody-toned country and all kinds of music.

However, I agree the J would be much more what the TS is looking for.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
If you JUST want punchy lows. Then get a P bass. But if you want something more, with more treble and some versitility, get a J Bass.

It would be better to get something with a P/J configuration. Like the Aerodyne bass though. If you cannot make up your mind, then get TEH MIDDLE GROUND!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Aerodyne-4String-Jazz-Bass?sku=511988
I agree with fast bear, a P/J config. would probably help you out more
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
muted notes sound through when you are turned up loud, play them loud, or have distortion on

victor wooten plays a lot of muted notes in his grooves, and they are prominent because he has really strong fingers and makes them prominent