i put the emg 81/85 set into my epiphone les paul, but they're super quiet. like when i play i have to turn up my amp more than when i play with a guitar with passives. is this normal or are they messed up? aren't active pickups supposed to be louder?
Signatures are overrated.
it might be a pot problem. It sounds like they arent pre-amping propperly.
You may have wired it wrong, that happened to me the first time. When they actually work they have a godly punch and deadly scream XD... But seriously open your guitar up again and check the wires and the diagram you used and make you did everything.
Member of 7-string Legion
Wields S7320

. .___.
. (O,o)
. /)__)
. ^ ^

. O rly?
Seriously 99% of the time this happens it's because you didn't raise the pickups enough.

Raise the pickups until they touch the strings, then back them down until you can hit the strings really hard and not have them vibrate against the pickups. Also play your highest fret and see if that makes the strings touch the pickup.

EMGs have to be as close to the strings as possible for maximum output... the actual pickup inside the EMG is super weak... and then it is amplified by a pre-amp (powered by the 9V battery).
Did you install the three-prong input jack? They need to be wired to a three-prong jack so that they can push out the power. It could be the issue.

By the way, i_baked_cookies, +1. You know your stuff.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
i've looked at the wiring several times. i had to rewire the switch, but i used different wire than what came with it. is there a possibilty i used a smaller gauge wire and that's what's doing it? i've raised the pickups as high as they can go, and they're still quiet. i'm just trying to avoid having to bring it in somewhere and pay $80 for them to tear everything out and re-wire it. thank you guys all for the help too. i really appreciate it
I don't mean any insult, but did you try a new battery? When the battery goes dead with active pickups, the output signal dwindles and becomes very weak. Worth checking, I guess.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
yeah new battery and all too. i should've mentioned that. basically a;; the stroubleshoting i've done so far is:
checked and double checked wiring(had a friend check too)
changed batteries
positioned pickups as close to strings as possible
used compressed air on the connections for the pickups
swapped pickup position
and still quiet. i just didn't know if it was a common problme, but the more i find out the more it seems like i really gotta get these looked at by a pro