Can this amp do Death Metal with or without a boost?
Is it any good?
Bands i like include Morbid Angel, Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Dying Fetus and Carcass.

Edit: i am looking more for that JCM with a boost tone but more unique.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Last edited by Slayer566 at Mar 20, 2007,
no not really mate,

doesnt have the tone to do pure death metal without any boost

look into

framus or engl if you have the dollar
Framus, ENGL, Splawn, VHT, Mesa, Diezel, Bogner, Boosted Marshall, Genz Benz, Meteroa...lots and lots of brands. Try them out or look for clips.

All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
the reason i am looking at it is because it is only around AU$1300 it is a lot cheaper then any other decent head, non second hand.
I don't mind needing a Boost.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Last edited by Slayer566 at Mar 20, 2007,
the gh head will be good for classic rock, rock, blues....

so yeah. there's a reason why it's virtually the tony iommi signature (the gh100 is).

look into ENGL screamer, ENGL fireball head, Mesa boogie double or triple rectrifier (expensive crits) and...those peavey 5150(or soemthing like that)
Last edited by zwound at Mar 20, 2007,
peavey 5150 is a cheaper high gain amp, popular too, in flames uses them, theyre melodic death... search up trigger live by in flames on youtube, gnarly tone
The Laney can do most metal, just might struggle for death. For those styles imo you would want a dark tone, the laney has a sorta bright-ish sound and the Engl has a full on bright sound. As said above me I would recommend you look for a peavey 5150, and Inflames run Line 6 rack pod, and most times now they just run that thru the mixer. So I would go 100% on their tone. But search really early inflames stuff that was just the 5150
I think with the right pickups and overdrive pedal it would be pretty good, actually. I saw a band a couple of weeks ago where one guitarist used a Laney GH and the other a Mesa rec. They had a pretty high-gain sound and were really good.
That head and a EH Metal Muff will give you a good metal tone. Their are better amps out there for death metal but they will cost a lot more.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Quote by False_God
The Laney can do most metal, just might struggle for death. For those styles imo you would want a dark tone, the laney has a sorta bright-ish sound and the Engl has a full on bright sound. As said above me I would recommend you look for a peavey 5150, and Inflames run Line 6 rack pod, and most times now they just run that thru the mixer. So I would go 100% on their tone. But search really early inflames stuff that was just the 5150

they only use the rack for cleans
Nope they use it for distortion/Wah/Effects the whole lot. They dont use their amps anymore. And when I saw them live (and got my 20 minutes of fame) their 5150's werent mic'd nor even on at that. They even said it that they used the Pod in the studio so when they are touring they have presets for ALL their songs etc.
Quote by False_God
Nope they use it for distortion/Wah/Effects the whole lot. They dont use their amps anymore. And when I saw them live (and got my 20 minutes of fame) their 5150's werent mic'd nor even on at that. They even said it that they used the Pod in the studio so when they are touring they have presets for ALL their songs etc.

WAIT HOLD UP

Your 20 minutes of fame?

Unholy alliance tour dublin right?

They sucked then.
The laney is perfectly capable of doing death metal.

And what's this crap about using 'dark' amplifiers for death metal opposed to 'bright' ones? That's just ridiculous. ENGL don't have a 'full on brightish' sound or anything like that. Its starting to get retarded the amount this 'bright' and 'dark' is being used and the amount of generalizing that goes with it.

I play 100% death metal when I'm in a band. I use an ENGL powerball. It pretty much rapes every other amp I've ever used or ever played with in a band when it comes to being brutal.

Cannibal Corpse are 100% death metal. their latest album, KILL, was recorded with the same amp.

Erik Rutan of Hate Eternal and Morbid Angel fame (not to mention as a producer) uses an ENGL Powerball.

Anders Bjorler and his bandmate Jensen have recently switched over to ENGL as well.

Thrash Metaller John Schaffer uses ENGL, and as we all know Death Metal is a direct descendant of Thrash, and Iced Earth aren't very classic (early 80s) thrash, either. They're 3rd gen.

So apparently a "Bright" amplifier works fine for more than just retarded as **** cheesy power metal.

The PODs might explain why In Flames has such a terrible live tone (or tone in general, recently)
Thanks Genocide.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
Laney is definitely capable of death metal. Laney amps are bright but that helps you cut through when you're downtuned. Listen to the death metal clip on this page http://www.laneyforum.com/sound_clips/
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
Mastodon use VH100Rs but the drive channel on that is identical to a GH100L so yeah. Just pointing out You can go way heavier btw.
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
That is awsome thanks for the clip.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10
im in the same position as you slayer, the GH50L is so much cheaper then any other tube heads available, i havent played one but my old guitar teacher has one and it sounds awesome.

EDIT and just to point out to the non-australians here a GH50L head will set us back about 1300-1700 aus dollars, a peavey 6505 goes for something like 2500 and framus, engl, mesa all go for about 4000 just for the head.

thats a big chunk of money
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Mar 24, 2007,