I've seen some posts about wood selection for metal... I have a similar question, but I'm looking for a different tone. I want to pick a wood for playing heavy drop tuned rythm. (think System of a Down, Tool) Mostly drop-D, sometimes drop-C.

I'd like to pick something that will have the fullest low end response, and not have a vintage brighter sound like my Strat does now. (I love the sound of my strat, but I want my second one to sound a lot different!)

I'm thinking some Seymour Duncan Hot Rails/Cool Rails combo or something like that... some really hot pickups (as long as they get the low end well)

How much impact will neck selection have on my deep tones?
Well, I'd say mahogany. Or, if you can lay your hands of some, maybe korina.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Never heard of korina.

I'm planning to buy and off-the-shelf body, so I have to select from the popular range of choices.

Is a heavier wood going to perform better for this? Mahogany should be heavy, right?
Yes. It's what Les Pauls are made of.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
I'd go with mahogany. If you want enhanced low-end tones you'd be better off getting some active pickups such as EMG's.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Oh, good info. That explains why the Les Pauls feel heavy compared to my Strat.

You think active pickups will really enhance the tone? I've already run into problems with some effects pedals not being able to handle my JB Junior with the volume cranked all the way on the guitar, and its a mini humbucker in the neck. (I have three minis) The JB overdrives some preamps on its own... so I just figured more power would cause me more things to worry about.

Any input on that?
I suppose it depends on the pedal. Personally I've never experienced this kind of trouble.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
definitely mahogany, and the hot rails is already a really high output pickup, you don't need to worry about active.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
definitely mahogany, and the hot rails is already a really high output pickup, you don't need to worry about active.

Hot Rails aren't really that good IMO, they don't have the sparkle that I like in my cleans. Putting a moderately hot 'bucker at the bridge and a more PAF-ey style at the neck should give you a good balance of tones.
I've definitely heard of some of the more metal guys using JB's, Mustaine and one of the guys from Sevendust using them (that's what I think was listed on the SD website anyway). There were definitely other heavier guys using SD pickups too.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Ouch, Mahogany Strat bodies are pricey! I guess you gotta pay to play, though.

Anyone got a link with good deals?

The JB in my Strat does pick up some really deep stuff, and it is pretty hot. I could see using a set of JB's in the next guitar, but I'd like to try something different. (therefore I was thinking of the Hot Rails)