My guitar teacher and I got into a debate as to wether someone who makes guitar amps and guitar electronics is still a luthier. We can't come to a conclusion, I was hoping you guys could shed some light on the situation. Thanks
No, as far as I'm aware, "luthier" only refers to people who build guitars.
Hi, I'm Peter
I'm pretty sure a luthier is just someone that makes stringed instruments. Anything from violins, to mandolins, to guitars. I don't think an amp/electronics maker would qualify.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
^ Ah, good distinction. I wonder if that's true - that it applies to any stringed instrument maker. You're probably right, though.
Hi, I'm Peter
This is what dictionary.com says:
lu·thi·er /ˈlutiər/ [loo-tee-er]
–noun
a maker of stringed instruments, as violins.
Hi, I'm Peter
^Yes it does apply to all stringed instruments. I used to play cello and that's what they called the guy who built and fixed them (he also worked on violins violas etc.)
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
The dictionary definition of luthier is one that makes or repairs stringed instruments, such as violins

That means that making amps or guitar electronics doesn't make you a luthier. You have to actually be able to make the instrument it's self, not just the instruments FX or it's amplification systems.
Not taking any online orders.