An idea started by bluesrocker, it rotates users around to post a progression and we all play (improvise!) over it and let eachother hear and give feedback. This weeks topic is..

The VImaj7 - bIII7#9 - vm7b5 - II7#9 - Valt

Uncommon, it started off as a random thought of myself but I ended up liking it and I want to see how you all approach it! Let's pick the key of G for it.

Emaj7 (E G# B D#)
Bb7#9 (Bb D F Ab C#)
Dm7b5 (D F Ab C)
A7#9 (A C# E G B#)
Dalt (D F# C + any of Eb, E#, Ab, A#)

I love what one can make of this.. I'm curious what you will do with it! The only real hint I can give you is to look for common tones between chords. Not always possible, but still worth a shot

You may make your own rhytms/backing tracks/band practices with it/chord fingerings.. W/e.

Restriction: Only these chords. In this order.

Have fun and upload the bunch!
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
I'll post mine later tonight.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I have the backing track made, so when I have time I'll do a take or two...

Oh, you have a key. Good thing all the notes are midi, so I just move them up.

And uhh, I'll probably end on some form of G, because I really want to at the moment.

elven, nice take, you seem to get really aggressive at some parts. There were some runs in the middle that I liked quite a bit. Thought it got better as it went on.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Oh dear. I've started twisting this into some monstrosity of a jazz-metal piece.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
^As if the dissonances weren't horrible enough yet
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje
^As if the dissonances weren't horrible enough yet

I'm going to strip down the rhythm, and then imply the chords by playing the accents and alterations on another track. Hopefully I can avoid killing any listeners that way.
I am not a jazz player but I want to try this as a learning exercise.

At the moment I just have a backing. With high voicings it's actually quite an enchanting music-box sounding progression.
Damn it! I had a recording of this in the key of Bb and a solo over it, but I accidentally deleted it when I was cleaning out my computer

I liked yours, elv. I especially liked the little run around 2:40
I'll throw one in, but you guys might just get a powertab out of me, not sure I have time to record.

Anyone got a problem with that? :evil eye:
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Corwinoid, I don't have a problem with it.

Kirby: Like your recording.. You really put the dissonances to use! I want to hear something longer from you sometimes
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
Damn...this is a tough one. Might be a while before I work something out that I like.
I like how it sounded kind of spacey and conflicting. It reminds me of Straight Jacket by Chris Poland (that's a good thing lol).
I'll take a listen to it when I get home, I'm at school now.

Just a thought: Next composition thread should be with an easy progression? I think I totally murdered the idea with my progression
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
Hey can upload a midi or something because I don't have any recording equipment whatsoever...

And eleve, my exams are finishing tommorow so I'm going to get down to writing my piece for the sticky ASAP!
Changed signature after 4 years.

Will take some time to make a new one.
Quote by elvenkindje
I'll take a listen to it when I get home, I'm at school now.

Just a thought: Next composition thread should be with an easy progression? I think I totally murdered the idea with my progression

C - F - G

I don't know, maybe something like. Am - Csus2 - Em? I like how that sounds lol.

V lawls
Last edited by kirbyrocknroll at Mar 23, 2007,
Kirb, thats a little too boring.

|iim7 | I7 | V7 | Imaj7

That might work.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
^ You mean the Original Recordings forum? Well I like your idea, but if we just composed out of the blue, wouldn't that have to go into the OR forum?

Maybe we could include little things like: This week, focus on composing using the third species of counter point. This week, focus harmonizing. This week, focus on dissonance. This week, focus on sweep picking. This week, focus on overdubs. This week, focus on harmonics, etc. That could be fun. Or maybe little things like: This week, you can only use one track with just a guitar.
That would be cool. But for now I'm just happy soloing over odd chord progressions. But I'm up to it.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
^ You mean the Original Recordings forum? Well I like your idea, but if we just composed out of the blue, wouldn't that have to go into the OR forum?

Maybe we could include little things like: This week, focus on composing using the third species of counter point. This week, focus harmonizing. This week, focus on dissonance. This week, focus on sweep picking. This week, focus on overdubs. This week, focus on harmonics, etc. That could be fun. Or maybe little things like: This week, you can only use one track with just a guitar.

I guess... I was thinking like we all make mini compositions in powertab or finale notepad and critique each others, since we are all somewhat familiar with each other.

I really want to record this though, hopefully I'll be able to tomorrow
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
I'm going to have to sit this one out. I'll come right out and say I am not good with jazz. If no one else is going to enter, we can get started on my progression.

I guess... I was thinking like we all make mini compositions in powertab or finale notepad and critique each others, since we are all somewhat familiar with each other.

I'm going to be doing that with my next entry. My recording set up isn't good enough that I make a good quality recording my multiple instruments and guitar parts.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Mar 25, 2007,
Go ahead and post the next part, Archeo. I think nobody will submit anything anymore.
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
I'm not going to do the current progression for lack of time.

But personally, I rather like the current format. I think its more interesting to just
do a plain progression and hear how people solo over it. No restrictions. Just
personal interpretations of the progression. Simple.

I'm not going to start writing stuff out. It's just too time consuming for me. Maybe
there should be 2 threads, one for writers and one for solo'ers...