i know alot of dimebag threads get made but this has been bugging me
cowboys from hell was pantera first major label cd
on the cover dimebag has his signature washburn

if this is there first major label album how did he already have a sig?
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
lots of little guys get signature guitars. also, some guitars are marketed and then reissued as signature models as well.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
was dimebags washburn a guitar before it was his sig?

seems like a pretty radical guitar to be a standard guitar
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
It's not a washburn it's a dean and a guy painted it like that put in a floyd rose and gave it to him theres more to the story but i can't be arsed
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasnt it a Dean on the CFH album?
Guitars:
Jackson RR3
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Westfield Acoustic

Amps:
Marshall 250 DFX
Drive CDR10

Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby (Coming soon)

Pirahna Leads
Dunlop USA Nylon 1.0mm Picks
Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky Strings
yeah it looks like a dean to me, a razorback or similar
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Cowboys From Hell was their fifth album. I am sure he got his signature guitar far before that album. They released Projects in the Jungle, Metal Magic, I Am the Night and Power Metal before CFH. Probably got it back when he was "Diamond" Darrell. If you get a chance, get the album Power Metal. Phil sings glammy, but Dime's solos are phenomenal.

EDIT: As mentioned above, it was probably just a Dean. They did sell the lightning bolt Deans for years and years before Dime got one as a sig.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
sorry it was a dean. i just remember i use to see washburns in catalogues before i saw the dean ones. im looking at album now and it is a dean.

so it was already a guitar before dimebags sig... fair do's probs how he got one lol
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
How did washburn get to make dime's sig dean guitar? did dime's contract end with dean then washburn got him as their endorser? but dean still make those dime sig. guitars.
He played Washburn guitars for a short time only, because Dean Zelinsky was bankrupt. All his sig models are based on the Dean ML model which Dimebag won during a guitar contest when he was like 12 years old.

EDIT: Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimebag_Darrell#Equipment to see what Wikipedia has to say about it.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Last edited by Green_Jelly at Mar 20, 2007,
back then,I didn't have any time to research their instruments cause i was so immense in their music. Thanks for clearing that up.
Quote by stevo192

The Razorbacks were released just after Dimebag's death... Also, it's a Dean and it wasn't a signature model at the time.

It was originally a fixed bridge, but he got a Floyd Rose put in it, and had it painted with the lightning.
you dont have to be in a big band to get signed

my friends in a band (mendeed) who are semi big and hes signed to ESP
Quote by guitarist dave
my friend has a signature dimgebag guitar and it is a washburn not a dean!!

whille dime was in pantera he used dean guitars and randall amps....but around the time he played w/ damageplan (roughly around the end of pantera i think), and up until his death, he endorsed his sig washburn based on the dean design and krank amplifiers.

the dean was his original sig guitar
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
He had one 'Dean from hell' You know how I know?

Because its so damn battered up!

Cheers.
I nearly got a dean from hell, still very tempting, dimebag's own one look awesome.
Last edited by sepultura alma at Mar 20, 2007,
You guys are all retarted. In these days of sig models for anyone, you are clueless. He made that guitar from a Dean ML that was red, with a fixed bridge. he put in a BL L500Xl, had the body routed and a floyd installed and eventually had it painted with the lighting bolt because he saw that design somewhere (a friends car i think, something like that) and then proceeded to beat the shit out of it. it was not a sig model, he made it. You must think that Fender made EVH his sig Frankenstrat also. The wave of sig models did not happen umtil recently when everyone that has sold more than 5 albums has been given one. Manufacturer's know that stupid kids will pay out the nose to look like their hero instead of modding their own and being original. Up until recently, guys just had the custom shop make em like they wanted, now they'll sell them like that to anyone.
to clear some other things up.

during dimes main career, he played with washburn (96-to 04) and he went back to dean about 3 weeks before his death. he also left randall and went to krank at the same time as well. Washburn guitars have a decor that looks like chain, instead of wings, which can be mistakened for wings.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Ok, the guitar on the CFH cover is a Dean. Dime won it at a contest when he was younger, then ended up selling it. He sold it to a guy named Buddy Blaze, who is the dude that painted it the way it looks. Then Dime bought it back, and Im pretty sure he did all the other things to it like routing it for an FR and putting in the Bill Lawrence L500XL. This was one of his main guitars, and the entire CFH album was recorded with it. Dime didnt use Washburn until a few years later in his career when Dean Guitars went out of business.
He used them for 8 years, but not during Pantera's big albums

I have a dime333, like a repainted CFH for $300 less.
i just had a thought, do ya reckon the reason the washburn dime sig looks so much like the dean is because washburn noticed that the dean he was using proved very popular so they basically copied it and made its dime sig to make money?

i was reading total guitar a while ago with a massive dime thing in it, saying he was just developing a new range of deans cause he switched back but didnt play the deans hardly and the razorback was near enough finished for him when he died,

such as shame one dick head ruined the metal world forever, would of been nice to hear some more damage plan albums or maybe some sort of pantera re union, i know phil wouldnt cause hes a tit but its a nice thought to always have.

dimes bro (the drummer) new band seems good, cant remember what they called.
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
They copied the guitar because Dime was kind of famous for having that shape of a guitar. Could you see Dime running around with a Les Paul? I cant, haha. And yeah, he developed those new guitars in the last few months before his death, but I think he played them, and all the live Damageplan videos I have seen hes playing a Dimeoflague or the flaming one. And yeah, Vinnies new band Hell Yeah is pretty damn good!
thats the one hell yeah!

if dime always played les pauls you could see him with a les paul because thats all you've known him to use. but we all know him for using those shaped guitars.

could you see zakk with a bright blue telecaster?
or slash with a warlock?

thats what dimebag is remembered for and always will be
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
This is what happen im gone try to write it really short.
Dime won a guitar contest where he actually won a guitar,and a little before that his father bought him a guitar for his birthday.Well eventually dime had to sell one of his guitars and he didnt want to sell the one his father bought him ,even thought he like the one he won in the contest more he sold that one.So he sold it and the owned that had it painted the guitar,had those lightning bolts put on and that sick paintjob and all that and eventually dime saw it and bought it back.
The story is coming out but somehow details keep being left behind.

Dimes original guitar was a Dean that he won in a guitar contest. True. Dime wanted to enter this guitar contest because the prize was a Dean ML which he really wanted. What he didn't know was that his father secretly got him a Dean ML and he gave it to Dime right before Dime was to play in this contest. Dime played his fathers ML and won first place, winning him the guitar that would eventually become the DFH. He had a friend named Buddy Blaze. Anyways, he wanted to get a car, didn't want to sell his fathers ML. He sold the DFH guitar with original finish to Buddy who went on to mod it with the paintjob etc. Dime eventually got some money and wanted to buy the guitar back from Buddy. Buddy said no several times. Later on down the line somewhere, Dime paid Buddy to modify another guitar for him (I think an SG, not sure on this). Buddy said yeah and put it in his list of things to do. Time went by and Dime kept asking why his guitar wasn't done. Finally, months later Buddy said he had it for him. He gave Dime the box and Dime opened it. It was the DFH. Buddy said that he ran out of time and that it wasn't right for him to have the guitar that Dime won in a contest.

I read somewhere that the ML his father gave him he still had, all in its original glory and unmodified.

Dime did the Washburn thing when Dean went out of business. Dean left the industry because he was sick of all the superstrats apparently. Right before his death, Dean approached Dime again and thats where the original idea of the Razorback was developed. For the years Washburn was doing the ML, they bought the original licensing rights to use that body shape from Dean. To this day, you can still get a ML shaped Washburn if you go to the right dealer. Music 123 sells low end ones while places like Boogiestreet and that other ebay dude (i forget the name) sell high end ones.
Ibanez RGA 121 PAF Pro/Evolution 2
Blackheart Little Giant
EH Nano Metal Muff
^^ how the hell did you remember all that. yeah i think that is the correct story
least everyone now knows abit of dimebags past
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
it was given to him b Dean Zelinsky (sp?) and Dime called it The Dean From Hell, it was more of a custom then signature, but in terms of signature, if you say it's is signature guitar as if you see it you automatically think Dimebag, then yes, but they wern't a production signatre model such as a malmsteen strat for example, and his was mentioned, but razorabacks only came out after he died, he designed tehm and i guess they released tem as a tribute type deal
Quote by stevo192

dude the razorback wasnt even around then. dime didnt design them till almost a decade later
that is the most beautiful guitar ive ever seen and im not being sarcastic
i am jesus sofdso