So im in year 12 and im starting to look around for which universities I should apply for; im thinking of doing mechanical engineering so ideally i would want to go to imperial college but i heard its almost impossible to get in so i was wondering if anyone good give some advice, thanks
Bradford is good for engineering.
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

sheffield hallum is sposed to be great for that
Tommy Emmanuel C.G.P = The Man

Quote by civildp1
wouldn't it be awesome if you pulled a girls panties off and she smelled like cake?

Quote by SupremeACL
My mom used to fart a lot. It sucked.
^The Uni of Sheffield is supposedly better than Sheff. Hallam, though I've never been to eiher so I could be wrong. I'm at Loughborough and do Product Design & Manufacture, which is in the same department as Mech. Eng., and I know that's a damned good course.

You should really check The Times University Guide as that will give you everything you need to know.
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
Quote by tyronelab
Queens Belfast apparently is good for engineering. You may want to consider what courses you want to do now and think of unis near the end of year 13. A lot can change in a year and a 1/2.

well for yr 13 ive already decided im doing maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and french. im trying to find out which unis i could go and visit during their open days....anyway it never hurts to plan ahead and do some early research
and also i would really appreciate any comments from people that have or are doing the course.....ive read some prospectus but to be honest i want to know what it really is about and what do you actually do.
Quote by classical_gas
So im in year 12 and im starting to look around for which universities I should apply for; im thinking of doing mechanical engineering so ideally i would want to go to imperial college but i heard its almost impossible to get in so i was wondering if anyone good give some advice, thanks

Im looking to go to Imperial. Join Mathematics and Computing degree.
Think about a Law degree - the money's good, it's challagning and very enjoyable: don't push it aside until you really researched it thoroughly.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by brammy
your 12..bit of time to think about your future me thinks

YEAR 12. as in first year of sixth form (not sixth grade)

Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by IndieMetalhead

misread, lol
yeah, im going huddersfield in september.. Virtual Reality with Animation i hopes
You have to understand that a university that is good at a certain topic or subject is going to be hard to get into. So may as well go to Cambridge or Oxford... but with it in mind that 1/18 people get a place and they require AAA at A level which isn't easy, you're pretty much screwed unless you're a genius but if you're a meer mortal then there are many universities that are good.

You shouldn't just consider which university has the best reputation but also the location because i do not advise studying in Hull or whatnot because basically... student life is shocking.

Also you may not want to go and study up in Nottingham either because of the high crime rate etc.

Although i have not been to either of these universities and so i do believe my opinion may be biased and not thought out. I would recommend looking at university league tables to ease your problem.

Yet even these don't help a lot as the place just may not be right for you. I just suggest that you go the university that takes your fancy. You must look at universities that fit your grade range. Find these universities then narrow it down from there on course/ student life/ reputation of the university.

Hope that helps.
^definately. student life is basically just as important as how well the uni delivers the subject. you'lll be spending at least three years there, so you wanna make the right choice.

im going to plymouth uni (hopefully) in september/october for civil engineering
Quote by ajbmosh
You have to understand that a university that is good at a certain topic or subject is going to be hard to get into. So may as well go to Cambridge or Oxford... but with it in mind that 1/18 people get a place and they require AAA at A level which isn't easy, you're pretty much screwed unless you're a genius but if you're a meer mortal then there are many universities that are good.

You shouldn't just consider which university has the best reputation but also the location because i do not advise studying in Hull or whatnot because basically... student life is shocking.

Also you may not want to go and study up in Nottingham either because of the high crime rate etc.

Although i have not been to either of these universities and so i do believe my opinion may be biased and not thought out. I would recommend looking at university league tables to ease your problem.

Yet even these don't help a lot as the place just may not be right for you. I just suggest that you go the university that takes your fancy. You must look at universities that fit your grade range. Find these universities then narrow it down from there on course/ student life/ reputation of the university.

Hope that helps.

funny u mention nottingham coz im going there for a headstart course (its like a weeks visit to the campus and facilities); i know it isnt the best pick but i didnt know there was such a high crime rate
oh yea i forgot to mention that i got all A in my mocks and im predicted the same so i could apply for the big ones, but as you said its really down to luck and your interview
well, no matter what anyone says, you do NOT necesarilly need AAA to get into Oxbridge- in fact, several people in my year doing English were given unconditionals after interviews.

Secondly, I'm just coming to the end of my first year at uni (well, about 3 months left), and I have to say, you will enjoy it IF you choose the city that's right for you. Obviously, the quality of the course is important. Look at HOW the university will deliver it to you. With mechanical engineering, look for a university that offers some form of work based learning. My university (Chester) does that, but we don't do mechanical engineering.

The social life is probably an even bigger factor in which uni you choose. If it's a rubbish place, you'll hate it and want to leave. You'll spend more time outside of the uni than inside the uni, so you need to be somewhere that you'll enjoy. And research the price of drinks. No point going somewhere expensive but that's what your student union is for (£1.70 for a pint of snakey b? yes please)

Thirdly, accomodation. If it's crap accomodation, you will also hate your stay.
Quote by ajbmosh

They dont require you to be a genius. Sure, it helps, but you really need to go above and beyond what they want. Work experience is good, and you should show them you do things apart from school. For example, I played rugby, am currently playing basketball, I row, I play guitar (obviously ), Im doing the Duke of Edinburghs Award, I do buddy reading at school, I help year 7s with IT, etc...
Quote by IndieMetalhead

i guess that does make sense then. i'm from n.ireland and here year 12 is the final year of GCSE so thought you were sitting GCSEs still.

I guess The Times University Guide is a good start point, but also try and get courses which have the best employment after uni, as well as best other oppurtunities at uni and student social life, since it's also an experience for the rest of your life if you have a good uni experience.
Quote by umop-3p!sdn
They dont require you to be a genius. Sure, it helps, but you really need to go above and beyond what they want. Work experience is good, and you should show them you do things apart from school. For example, I played rugby, am currently playing basketball, I row, I play guitar (obviously ), Im doing the Duke of Edinburghs Award, I do buddy reading at school, I help year 7s with IT, etc...

yea thats something i need to improve on, you got any more suggestions on what uni's could be impressed by? i would say i have ABRSM music grades 2-5 for guitar, i actively play in a band, i've played in lots of sport teams (basketball,football, rugby, volleyball) but thats it really....too late for duke of ed. so im a bit stuck
most unis won't look for that much extra except for grades, some work experience and general something in school (even being a prefect or helping organise a formal does fine) and then grades.

Queens uni is tough for grades and offers and for any engineering courses they seem to go for grades and general interest in the subject.

I know the only course I'm worried about is medicine since they required a good personal statement (I think I've got it fine but we'll see). Seemly medicine will accept all people predicted 4 A at A level, but its taking an awful long time coming back.

Relax and if you've got the grades, then you'll get into some decent uni for engineering fine.
For Oxbrige a lot of it is down to the interview. If you show you are enthusiastic to the point of exploding you should get in. I'd imagine it is the same elsewhere.