I've been looking at expanding my effects board and I want to make sure I get what I the best I can. Could someone explain the difference between digital, analog, and stereo effects? Does one of them have a higher quality sound?
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by USAPeavey
I've been looking at expanding my effects board and I want to make sure I get what I the best I can. Could someone explain the difference between digital, analog, and stereo effects? Does one of them have a higher quality sound?

A stereo effect would probably be an effect to divide your mono (one channel) guitar input into two channels... maybe like a stereo delay or stereo phaser... where the guitar's noise might go back and forth from the left channel to the right channel. If you don't have two amps though, it won't work.

Digital effects use processors and computers to change your sound... not as good as analog!

Analog would (correct me if I'm wrong) make use of other things (not electronics) to change the sound. A tube distortion pedal, for example, uses a tube, not a computer, to change the sound.
^ Basically yeah. Digital is either on or off, with analog there's a grey area, and they do make some stereo amps.
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
analog is anything that doesn't use ICs. you can get away with transistors, like in fuzzes, and it still being analog.

digital is anything using ICs.

stereo divides the signal path so the sound you hear in each ear is different.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by i_baked_cookies
A stereo effect would probably be an effect to divide your mono (one channel) guitar input into two channels... maybe like a stereo delay or stereo phaser... where the guitar's noise might go back and forth from the left channel to the right channel. If you don't have two amps though, it won't work.

Digital effects use processors and computers to change your sound... not as good as analog!

Analog would (correct me if I'm wrong) make use of other things (not electronics) to change the sound. A tube distortion pedal, for example, uses a tube, not a computer, to change the sound.

pretty much, though analogue uses electronics too.

Digital converts a signal to binary code (on or off) and then has to convert it back to an audio signal, whereas analogue doesn't just have discrete on and off signals. Something like that. Steven Seagull, if he's around, can explain it better than me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by i_baked_cookies

I don't think that's a good explination of analog pedals. I believe they don't use micro chips but use capacitors.
all pedals use caps. it's transistors that matter.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
digital pedals simply convert the (analog) signal of your guitar into data and process it to add an effect then they convert it back to analog signal
during those convertions some of the signal gets lost and thats why some people say digital has a sterile, colder sound than analog

analog pedals keep the analog signal of your guitar and change/add effects with the help of transistors/capacitors and other electronics
that sounds warmer because these things produce (minor) errors which makes the sound more appealing to some

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
So, since I don't have 2 amps, I don't have a need for Stereo effects right? And with the other two (analog and digital) analog tends to sound better?
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by tubab0y
digital is anything using ICs.

So a tubescreamer is a digital pedal now?

Essentially avoiding any complications: Analogue is where you take a signal and simply filter/boost it to change the sound. In a digital pedal you convert the original signal to a string of binary numbers, these numbers are then "changed" slightly (in order to change the sound) and then converted back into an analogue signal.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Though the whole purpose to rock is to grate at old people's nerves, so digital all the way.

lol
There are fantastic digital pedals out there. The Boss delay pedals are great, as well as their chorus and flanger effects. Also, a pedal like the Digitech Whammy is impossible in the analog world. Think about these things when phrases like "analog is better than digital" come to mind, because it's not always the case.
Quote by power freak

Essentially avoiding any complications: Analogue is where you take a signal and simply filter/boost it to change the sound. In a digital pedal you convert the original signal to a string of binary numbers, these numbers are then "changed" slightly (in order to change the sound) and then converted back into an analogue signal.

aye.

Nice to see you around, lewis. it's a shame you aren't here more often.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Schecter1277
Though the whole purpose to rock is to grate at old people's nerves, so digital all the way.

lol

Pfft. Nerves shall be grated no matter what you're playing through. And yes, I do realize the sarcasm.
Quote by power freak

Exactly what I was going to say.
you want to determine and analog from digital? click my sig and listen to analog vs digital.. my friend and i tried to record both just to see if its a good combination..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots