I'm looking into buying a new fender strat and was wondering what are the main differences between a rosewod fretboard and a maple fretboard?
mostly looks and feel. Rosewood is a little warmer sounding and malpe has a little more bite and brightness. personally i prefer the look, feel, and sound of rosewood.
Maple is generally bright while rosewood is a warmer tone around mahogany.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
I prefer rosewood myself. I find its a bit easier to play.
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
I find rosewood tougher to play. Dunno why, it just feels wrong to me. Just try both out and see which you prefer.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
I like rosewood, but my strat has maple b/c its white and I thought the rosewood would clash. I like it. But yes, rosewood is a warmer sound.
Quote by livrockdie
its white and I thought the rosewood would clash.

Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Try them out and see which one feels best to you. Its 100% personal preference and we cant tell you what your preference is
Gear: Yamaha AES 620 Equipped with SD JB+APH-1
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Equipped with BKP Mothers Milk
Fender Pro Jr., Traynor YCV 50, Diamond J-Drive MK3, Fulltone 70's Fuzz, Teese RMC Wizard Wah, Boss dd-3, Boss CE-5, Korg DT-10 pedal tuner.
Maple fretboards seem to be more for leads. Rosewood on the other hand, seems to be better for rythm.
Quote by Kurapica
I once used an SG on stage. I killed three people in the front row and I was only tuning up. It's THAT powerful.

Quote by aeliustehman
I've never seen Metallica use a wah pedal lol.

Quote by BWall1226
does putting stickers on a guitar make someone a poser cause im doing the same thing.
you won't get much of a difference no matter which, fretboard isn't a major part of tone.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
One difference between the two in regards to strats is that stratocasters have maple necks. This means that the neck and fretboard will be one piece of wood if you choose a maple fretboard, as opposed to the fretboard being glued onto the neck.

Some may argue that this affects tone and sustain, but the difference would probably be as minute as the tonal differences between the two fretboards themselves.
-Fender American Series Stratocaster
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Amp

Rock, Jazz, Blues, and Funk
Quote by tubab0y
you won't get much of a difference no matter which, fretboard isn't a major part of tone.

Thats arguable. Many people(such as fender custom shop reps) claim that the Major part of your tone comes from the guitars neck rather than the body.
Gear: Yamaha AES 620 Equipped with SD JB+APH-1
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Equipped with BKP Mothers Milk
Fender Pro Jr., Traynor YCV 50, Diamond J-Drive MK3, Fulltone 70's Fuzz, Teese RMC Wizard Wah, Boss dd-3, Boss CE-5, Korg DT-10 pedal tuner.
I judge by feel. I'm a maple fan all the way. To me maple feels so much smoother. Maple feels like silk.
ya i got a electron blue strat with maple fretboard coming in the mail i like maple cuz its alot faster and easier to take care of
Quote by label
some people say rosewood ages better? true?

i'm kind of partial to the caramel color maple turns as it ages. It is absolutely beautiful.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

I prefer maple fretboards. They are easier to navigate, easy to vibrato and bend on and they look great as they age.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
rosewood.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by sheldonpardy
I'm looking into buying a new fender strat and was wondering what are the main differences between a rosewod fretboard and a maple fretboard?

use the search button.
I prefer rosewood, but i can get used to maple fretboards easily. I used to hate them but they are okay, still prefer rosewood though.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
i dont think they make much TONE difference because the strings arent touchung the fretbord while they make a sound, they touch the FRETS people. if im wrong please explain to me why by PMing me.
SORRY for the several times i used CAPITAL letters. YOUL get over IT.
Rosewood all the way, I've never liked maple fretboards, always played on rosewood.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by jozef the great
i dont think they make much TONE difference because the strings arent touchung the fretbord while they make a sound, they touch the FRETS people. if im wrong please explain to me why by PMing me.
SORRY for the several times i used CAPITAL letters. YOUL get over IT.

whether it makes sense or not, it does make a difference. Maple gives a brighter tone, while rosewood is warmer. and don't say it's because i played a tele with maple and a les paul with rosewood. I tested many telecasters and noticed they do sound different even though they are the same model. I prefer the feel of rosewood but i like the maple tone.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
It does. When I first played a Strat with a maple fretboard, I was surprised at how much brighter the tone was. Now, after having one for a while, I'm digging it.
Quote by 7PlaGues
i fancy playing both woods.

lol
\m/(>_<\m/
ROCK ON!!

Fender Stratocaster Standard
Fender Twin Reverb II 105 Watts
Takamine EG-330 cutaway elec/acoustic
Ibanez Demon Wah Pedal
Various Effect Pedals