hi to everyone

i'm a guitar noob..i watched to the speed picking video lesson,and i checked in some websites..but i didn't understand some things..

1)in fact,is speed picking same as alternate picking but at high speed?

2)with my right hand,i should give the right amount of strokes or i should give more strokes?for example..if i got something like

-----5-7-----5-7
5-7-----5-7------5-7

i should give 10 strokes with my right hand or multiples strokes at very high speed?

3)i have been practicing on this for 6 days..i feel some progres, but still on another planet,far away from the video...

4)using the metronome, should i do a stroke every beat? for example: i'm doing it without mistakes at 250 bpm..i'm doing every beat a stroke,like i'm playing a tablature made all of quarters..(i hope i explained well, sorry, my english isn't really good..)

5)my fingers hurts, even doing it slowly..my maximum time without stopping were like 6 minutes,doing it at 250 bpm..but that really hurted xD..they started hurting after 2 minutes..>.<

6)can you tell me what's the speed in bpm that you should achieve to do a right and cool speed picking exercises?

for now those are the questions..
thanks to everyone
and still sorry if i'm a guitar noob :p
u can try 2 notes per beat.. and i pick once per note. so for the example u gave, i wud pick 10 times. I hope im doing it the right way too. I can feel improvement but i feel my right hand doesnt have enough strength to pick as fast as the video
i would do a mix. start off doing doing 10 picks per note and then work your way up at a comfortable speed till you can do 1 or two picks per note
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
If you're looking for real technique and serious shred you should try and keep the picks to one per note, and speed it up once you've got it clean at low tempo, that way when you speed it up to play really fast (say 16ths at 180 bpm) it'll be clean and you'll have clearly separate notes instead of a blurry mush like Zakk Wylde.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
oh i understood..so, zakk wylde does more than one stroke per note..
so,in the video too the guy does more than one stroke per note??

but to become really pro i must do one stroke per note
Quote by Giabbo
oh i understood..so, zakk wylde does more than one stroke per note..
so,in the video too the guy does more than one stroke per note??

but to become really pro i must do one stroke per note

Zakk Wylde doesn't neccesarily do more than one stroke per note, but his technique is sloppy, he's playing too fast with his picking hand for his fret hand so when he plays fast there's lots of dead notes and they're not neccesarily all picked once.

But yes, to be really good, like John Petrucci and the like, you must have absolute control over your technique, that means one stroke per note at speed.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I always thought you were supposed to pick 4 notes per beat, starting (if you are a beginner) with the metronome at about 100 and working your way up. Do you progress faster if you pick one note per metronome beat (with the metronome set higher)?
Quote by i suck
don't worry about perfection just shred man

I'm sorry but no, shut the hell up.

Shred isn't about playing fast per se, it's about having the control to be able to play fast cleanly, to learn shred is the act of learning technique to the point where you can play in 16ths at 200 bpm and know exactly what you're doing.

And afrika18, it doesn't really matter that much, it's just that a lot of metronomes don't got past about 208 bpm so playing in 16ths (4 notes per click) allows you to go much faster to the metronome. Also, playing more than one note per click will give you a better sense of timing when playing, if you can subdivide a beat effectively it makes playing rhythmically interesting lines much easier.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
yeah, i totally agree with Zaphod...i started doing one stroke every beat because it was easiest...:P
Here i am again..
i'm trying hard on speed picking...
but for now my maximum speed is 120 bpm doing it in 16th (4 notes per beat)...

at wich speed do you think does Kristofer Dahl do the exercise??
Oh god knows, mister Dahl certainly can play quite fast, I wouldn't go comparing yourself to him just yet, 120 bpm isn't a bad speed, just keep trying and you'll get to his level some day as long as you keep the faith and keep practicing.

but he probably does it at at least 160, if not fast, i'm not sure, I haven't seen the video.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.