I heard that someone in Sigur Rós is using a Les Palul and a bow. How the hell does he play clean? I tried using a violin bow and my ears almost exploded (yes, it sucked). Has he got a custom made guitar bow or something?
¡ǝɹnʇɐuƃıs sı sıɥʇ
No, I think he uses flats or something to keep the horsehair from ripping up. And I think a cello bow.
I've tried and it doesn't work for me but you always see bands doing it on dvd's and stuff and friday night a kid in a local band i saw did it and it worked. Beats me how he got it to work.
the one time i tried i was at school and it worked fine
also, jimmy page really was the first to do that im pretty sure
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
play barre chords. it works fine.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Page did it too, so did Claudio from Coheed and Cambria, it takes lots and lots (and lots) of Rosin on your bow.
Quote by jmag

God, you make a 5-year-old seem like master Yoda, as far as patience goes.
I advise that you use a cello bow, they are more stockily made than those for Violin and can stand up to the extra pressure for guitar(the odd angle and low string tension call for more pressure as opposed to Violin)

Use lots of rosin, and try to stay in between your pickups, rosin is a non-condutor and makes very fine dust which can get into contacts and mess with your current.
Also be aware that rosin is really not good for strings - I get through so many since I've started using a bow, especially the wound strings where the rosin gets stuck between the windings.

I find I get the best results when using reverb and a small amount of delay (I use a Holy Grail reverb and a Boss delay, Jonsi from Sigur Ros I think uses a Boss RV-3 as opposed to the Holy Grail) to give a more continuous sound, and a compressor helps even the dynamics and attack out and lets you set off harmonics more easily.

I do it in my band a lot, and I agree that it goes down a treat at gigs! Especially when I stop using it melodically and just use it for n0i53.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
I'm a planning on getting a cello bow to use on my guitar, i have all the necessary effect pedals and everything, ive read a lot about how to use the bow on the guitar but i am unsure of what type of cello bow to get. do i really need a horsehair bow or can others work?
if anyone has ever used a bow on a guitar and gotten good results and remembers what kind of cello bow they used, please let me know.
thanks
I just bought the cheapest one the shop had, cost about £30. It's synthetic fibre as opposed to horsehair but it does the job fine. Just remember to rosin it. Another thing to bear in mind is whether your pickups have covers or not. If the pole-pieces are exposed, the rosin can get into them and because it's an electrical insulator it will stop your pickups from working. You don't want that.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by Tombe
Also be aware that rosin is really not good for strings - I get through so many since I've started using a bow, especially the wound strings where the rosin gets stuck between the windings.

Use string cleaner (nail varnish remover or alcohol based pefumes work just as well) to get the rosin off. All bowed string players do this pretty much daily, I personally do it every time I play. Wipe it all off though, otherwise the hair will get ****ed up.

Quote by fatphil
I'm a planning on getting a cello bow to use on my guitar, i have all the necessary effect pedals and everything, ive read a lot about how to use the bow on the guitar but i am unsure of what type of cello bow to get. do i really need a horsehair bow or can others work?

I've never used bows with guitar, but bear in mind that eventually the hair will need changing. Horse hair is quite an expensive way to do this. I need a rehair every couple of months on violin, and this costs me anywhere between £30-45, although this is fairly good quality hair, through a respectable luthier. The best rehairs can be £120-150, but obviously, you're not going to touch these, especially if you're buying £20/£30 bows. I can't remember the last time I used synthetic hair, so I can't tell you how much rehairs are or how well they play, but I imagine synthetic hair is fine for playing with guitar.
Quote by Tombe
I just bought the cheapest one the shop had, cost about £30. It's synthetic fibre as opposed to horsehair but it does the job fine. Just remember to rosin it. Another thing to bear in mind is whether your pickups have covers or not. If the pole-pieces are exposed, the rosin can get into them and because it's an electrical insulator it will stop your pickups from working. You don't want that.

i use a fat strat most of the time, i do have a guitar with covered pickups but its not the guitar i would use for many gigs.
is there a way to protect my uncovered pickups, like just not bowing over them or do you think its just not safe enough to use a bow on that guitar?
i use an ebow and im pretty damn good with it but there are some sounds i want to get that cant really be done with the ebow.
the guy from whitesnake was really good at it. lots and lots of resin on your bow or it will sound terrible.
fight the power that be