So Ive been TRYING to come up with some sweet ass tech death songs, but everything comes out pretty generic, and it doesnt even sound dark or anything. Any tips or something to help a brother out?

-Im in a dropped tuning
-I know the Diminished scales (whole and half)
-Harmonic Minor and Byzantine Scale as well. I know others but I dont think theyd be of importance here.
-Im a big fan of the trills 1.5 steps apart, and sweeps with taps.

Thanks for any help in advance!
Have you tried the phyrgian dominant in C tuning?

I was messing around with C tuning and Phrygian dominant and sounded "evil" and dark."
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Yeah, but the problem here is the riffs themselves, I have no idea what to even start with, for riffs. I listen to so much Necrophagist, Knights of the Abyss, Anomalous, Braindrill, etc etc, and I still cant come up with a decent riff
I have had those days, weeks, months dude. I think you might have hit a writing block of sorts.

Start off with an open power chord like C5 in C tuning and gallop it.

Then on every second beat play something like this:

|------------------------------------|
|------------------------------2----|
|----------2-4-5-4-2-----------2----|
|-2-4-5----------------5-4-2-0-0----|

The lick is played 6:4 semi quavers.

I dont know if that would be generic but I used that as a basis for other patterns, such as:

|---------------------------------------------|
|----------2-4-5----------2-4-5-2-4-5----|
|-2-4-5-----------2-4-5--------------------|

Again playing 6:4 semi quavers repeating that pattern (in C Tuning).

Hope that helps a bit dude!
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
/was gonna give you advice, then realized who you were and decided to not make myself look stupid
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by EZLN libertad
/was gonna give you advice, then realized who you were and decided to not make myself look stupid

WHAT THE HELL? That is the FUNNIEST thing ive ever heard
Well trills and sweeping arpeggios is generic and over used. you have to find a way to fit them into a riff that makes it catchy. i don't know just jam ? most death metal bands pull influences from non metal genres too. try looking at some jazz and classical.

dont get me wrong, sweeping + tapping is fine, just try and find a way to fit it in more.. subtly? and don't just sweep for the sake of doing it.

and harmonizing is a big part in any type of metal, so you can easily turn a mediocre riff into a sick one with a good harmony.

also keep in mind, not all riffs have to be super complicated. sometimes the guitars can tune down a little bit and the drums, bass or vocals can get a little busier for a second.

another thing you may want to try to do is use a lot of contrast. meaning, make a part ridiculously simple, then get technical. it'll make your tech part seem 10000000x more tech.

anyway, just keep these in mind, don't do anything if it doesnt fit.

oh and stealing riffs is a good idea
I like your ideas, guitardude, Im definately gonna try that later tonight when I have a guitar in my hands. Ouchies steal riffs how? And I like the contrast idea, and dont worry, none of my arpeggios sound forced and stuff, there are variations and what not, but I dont wanna have a song COMPLETELY full of sweeps. I have no problem doing that, as it would probably be ALOT easier than not for me, but I dont want to make a song that has all sweeps and would be considered a "shred" song with growls.
Quote by insideac
I like your ideas, guitardude, Im definately gonna try that later tonight when I have a guitar in my hands. Ouchies steal riffs how? And I like the contrast idea, and dont worry, none of my arpeggios sound forced and stuff, there are variations and what not, but I dont wanna have a song COMPLETELY full of sweeps. I have no problem doing that, as it would probably be ALOT easier than not for me, but I dont want to make a song that has all sweeps and would be considered a "shred" song with growls.

well i steal riffs by searching for bands on myspace. when i find cool ones ill listen to a song once then go play guitar. youll play something similiar to them but i won't be exactly.

theres a lot of ways to do it. you arent really "stealing", but just being "influenced". lol don't take it note for note, just take the general concept of the riff and make it your own.
Quote by ouchies
well i steal riffs by searching for bands on myspace. when i find cool ones ill listen to a song once then go play guitar. youll play something similiar to them but i won't be exactly.

theres a lot of ways to do it. you arent really "stealing", but just being "influenced". lol don't take it note for note, just take the general concept of the riff and make it your own.

Yah I kind of do that too..

Listen to a riff and then try to play how it sounds and chances are your version will be different and there you go.. a riff.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

If you have to resort to using down tunings and funky scales to write technical death metal, then you're going about it wrong. Get some originality in there! But it really never hurts to use those dissonant notes, of course.

Try whole tone scales, á la Necrophagist. Play fast, lots of trills, trem picking.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
I'm far from being able to play tech death (I can barely play a few Necrophgist riffs) but I do have a kind of tech death-y song or two I'm working on. I've thrown all music theory knowledge I have out of the window while I'm making a raw riff, so notes are all over the place and it doesn't necessarily follow a scale. Then I'll take a look at the riff and add a bit of theory knowledge and refine it. Not that that means anything, since I've come up with about 0 good riffs, haha.

One thing I do alot is open guitar pro, without a guitar in hand, and start messing around. Sometimes it's a big help just to be able to try riffing without a guitar... I've written a song or two in guitar pro that I don't actually know how to play on guitar, because I haven't actually picked a guitar up during the process.

As guitardude suggested, start off with some sort of gallop/alternate picking on one of the lower strings, and add little fills/riffs in between each set of gallops (although if you do this the wrong way, you'll end up having a million riffs that sound like Laid to Rest [not that that's a bad song]).

Also, try finding a simple motif and expand on it (even something like 2 or 3 "main" notes while other stuff goes on in the background).

Plus ascending/descending by minor thirds (and thus accentuating the tritone) usually works in fills.