I'm going to be getting a new amp soon and I wanted some general opinions on these amps. I play lots of metal, mostly Opeth and 80s thrash but I also want lovely warm cleans for Jazz and sounds like those of Opeth's Damnation album. I also want to be able to get some blues and rock tones.So the amp needs to be pretty versatile and under £400 ($700ish).
The options so far-

DSL 401 - Looks like a good amp, but can it handle Opeth tones? It is just in my price range.

Fallen Angel 40 - I really like the look of this for the price, but is there too much bottom end and does it have good cleans? Is it too muddy?

I was also looking at some Laney amps (lc30, vc30) but although they have lovely cleans I don't think they will have enough gain for metal.
Thanks.
I can't really say much of the Marshall but I own the Ashdown.

It can do metal, just. I use an SD-1 with the boost on the gain channel on and it easily does metal. It has HUGE bass response, but it is tight. If you run the gain channel on minimum gain, it starts right where the clean channel on full gain left off, so it's a smooth transaction of gain in that channel.

The cleans are really nice, warm and "hearty". Adjustment on your guitar can get almost any tone you like. Not the best cleans, but they ain't half bad!

As far as I'm concerned it is the best amp out of the Marshall and Peavey Valveking. It's very versatile and I love mine to death. I suggest you try them both out though to see which you prefer.
Thanks, you've been really helpful.
Any opinions on the Marshall, anyone?
the DSL could do metal depending on how you use it.

If you drive the preamp, you will have shit loads of gain(gain at 3 is enough for me) but it will be a bit too muddy

But if you drive the power amp(master all the way up) and turn the Reverb all the way up and the gain all the way up, and the treble all the way up it's sounds very good(this is what i do). Boosting it with a EQ and a Overdrive(distortion+ specifically) will get you smooth, crisp and snappy mids, creamy tops, and a slightly hollowed fuzzy low end. The sound is amazing ( it's damn close to the Randy Rhoads tone on the Tribute album).

the speaker in the amp is muddy, so I have my bass set low and treble set high.

Now go to the store and play this amp. Make sure you try the power amp distortion(remeber gain at 10 reverb at 10)

Another thing is that this amp is very bad with power distortion unless you max th ereverb, it adds more gain and tone to it. I think they have a flaw with that since the reverb is more like a "richness control" instead of a reverb(when using power distortion only!)

NOTE it still adds a little reverb thouhg
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Last edited by Csquared1001 at Mar 20, 2007,
I've played the dsl 401 for about 30 minutes a couple months ago...

It was a pretty decent amp; ok cleans, crazy distortion. I don't think it'll give you more of the thrash 80's metal tone as much as the 800 or 900 jcm models...

But the dsl and tsl's are made for modern day metal, some br00tal stuff.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
I've played the dsl 401 for about 30 minutes a couple months ago...

It was a pretty decent amp; ok cleans, crazy distortion. I don't think it'll give you more of the thrash 80's metal tone as much as the 800 or 900 jcm models...

But the dsl and tsl's are made for modern day metal, some br00tal stuff.

actually you can get pretty close to the "{brown" sound with it. Just use the Power amp driving method and get the rigth settings(follow what i said earlier with gain and reverb)
it's hard as hell to get the brown sound but with lots of tinkering it is possible to get very close. Randy Rhoads tone is possible on the amp for sure. (i've done it)

But yeah, JCM 800 would kill this amp. So would a modded Plexi reissue(50 watt since the sound is better than the 100)
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join