Hey people. Alright so I'm going to buy a Visual Sound J&H. Now I've looked at shops in UK and places like Thomann, and I've found that the cheapest way of buying one new is to buy from America through ebay. It comes to about 85 quid.

However, I've heard about something along the lines of import taxes or something of that nature when buying from America, so could anyone tell me whether there'd be hidden charges if I bought this item?

also if anyone knows how much it'd be if there are any, that'd be great.

thanks to anyone who replies.
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
I'm not really sure how much duties and whatnot would be from the US to the UK, but all I'll tell you is don't use UPS, or just ask if they can use a different courier. They will charge you up the but man, trust me.... speaking from experience.

I think it all depends on if/how much they make the declared value at though.

Check the website of the courier the person uses and see what they say.
Hai UG!
^how much did they charge you when it happened to you?

And the courier for it is USPS, so I guess that's bad! I don't know what I'd need to do to get them to use a diffeent courier, or why that'd make a difference though?
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Actually USPS is pretty good with their duties, but because you're in the UK it could be different... IDK (wait for someone in the UK with experience using USPS to chime in before you ask them to switch... I'm in canada BTW)

I've had 2 bad experiences with UPS.

One was for a PS2 that was broken during shipping because it wasn't properly packed by the sender... long story short they wanted to charge me with extra duties after I declared it "damaged". They knew that they were supposed to charge the sender and not me, but I think they were trying to get money from both of us... the sender made a mistake in the declared value that caused the extra duties. And I wasn't having none of that. If you're persistant and you bug them like crazy they'll leave you alone.

The other was for my blues jr. It came to my door with the box in really bad condition and with an extra $100 something duties that was really supposed to be more like $50-$55. I checked with a few other couriers, and they all were at the $50-$60 range... I think they charge whatever the hell they want for duties.
Hai UG!
Oh sorry, I thought that when you said UPS you meant USPS. Yeah I know they're different but I figured it was a typo. So USPS would be a good one to go for if I were to buy this thing?

So is there anyone from the UK with any experience buying from the US?

Any help appreciated
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.