I love them. Some people say they're not great because they either a) play over the same progression for 10 minutes or b) do nothing but play in a steady crescendo. Well I think those people are listening to the wrong type of bands. Phish has more musical prowess than half the metal and rock bands I listen to (I'm not basing them, I'm just saying Phish knows waaaay more theory than they do) plus are much more diverse in sound and genre transcending. Plus, each show is different and has it's own unique energy to it. That's my two cents for today. Tell me what you think about jam bands (Phish, Grateful Dead, Moe, Widespread Panic, Disco Biscuits, Umphrey's McGee, Primus to name a few)
Phish Phan
DeadHead
Moe.ron
If there's a jam out there, I'm probably listening to it.

Check out the Bodatious Banana Extravaganza: http://myspace.com/bbeboston
Yea dude I like all those bands. I primarily listen to jam/ska/blues type stuff. They are all musically gifted.
The only jam band I like is Phish. Undermind is an awesome album.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Hendrix4ever
Phish has more musical prowess than half the metal and rock bands I listen to

QFT, Phish is my favorite band, and they own. Their a very hate-them-or-like them band, considering how open you are to seriously unique stuff. Trey is the most underrated guitarist of the 90's.

If you've never heard of phish, check out the songs "Stash" "Cavern" or "Run like an Antelope" which shows their jamming awesomeness. Or if you want to hear how dynamic the band can be, check out "You Enjoy Myself" or "Reba" (awesome guitar solo, yet such a strange song to begin with).
I listen to a lot of jam band stuff. All you mentioned are excellent. I listen to a lot of jazz too. as a sax player over anything else, freeform jazz is very similar to the jam bands of today (or a few years a go (R.I.P. Phish/PLease come back!!!!)). coltrane, miles davis, bob mintzer/yellowjackets. all great stuff.

OH LORD! JAZZ MENTIONED ON UG????
Quote by B.A.S.S.
I listen to a lot of jam band stuff. All you mentioned are excellent. I listen to a lot of jazz too. as a sax player over anything else, freeform jazz is very similar to the jam bands of today (or a few years a go (R.I.P. Phish/PLease come back!!!!)). coltrane, miles davis, bob mintzer/yellowjackets. all great stuff.

OH LORD! JAZZ MENTIONED ON UG????

you're gonna freak when you find out there's a jazz forum.
Phish Phan
DeadHead
Moe.ron
If there's a jam out there, I'm probably listening to it.

Check out the Bodatious Banana Extravaganza: http://myspace.com/bbeboston
Not here you won't! Try the pit.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.