Hey,

I'm not positive what amp I should get now. I've been using a crappy Crate that I fortunetly blew. I know I want tube, and at least 40 watts. I am stuck between a Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Hot Rod, or a Peavey Valveking, Peavey Classic. I want something I can use to play anything from Hank Williams, to Muddy Waters, to Bob Marley, to Bob Dylan, to John McGlaughlin, to Black Sabbath, to The Doors, to Nirvana, to the Velvet Underground, to the Sex Pistols. So basically, I play punk, jazz, blues, metal, and experiment/avant garde music. What do you guys recommend and why?

Thanks.
-Fender '52 Reissue Tele
-1964 Kimberly electric
-Jay Turser Jazzbox
-Takamine acoustic
-Dano Hodad
-SuperCrybaby
-Dano Coolcat Chorus
-Big Muff
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by powerhalf
Please forgive what maybe a noob question, but: What is an "FU"?
Last edited by mastercad at Mar 21, 2007,
Anyone?
-Fender '52 Reissue Tele
-1964 Kimberly electric
-Jay Turser Jazzbox
-Takamine acoustic
-Dano Hodad
-SuperCrybaby
-Dano Coolcat Chorus
-Big Muff
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by powerhalf
The ones that would cover the biggest array of genres probably are the Fender Hot Rod and the Peavey Classic. I prefer the OD on the Classic, but the cleans on the Fender. Either way, you'll need an OD pedal to get up to heavier levels of gain.

Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
The ones that would cover the biggest array of genres probably are the Fender Hot Rod and the Peavey Classic. I prefer the OD on the Classic, but the cleans on the Fender. Either way, you'll need an OD pedal to get up to heavier levels of gain.

Thanks. So I should get a Hot Rod, and use it's clean channel for the cleans, and a distortion pedal for the heavier stuff? Also, how bad is the Hot Rods OD channel?
-Fender '52 Reissue Tele
-1964 Kimberly electric
-Jay Turser Jazzbox
-Takamine acoustic
-Dano Hodad
-SuperCrybaby
-Dano Coolcat Chorus
-Big Muff
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by powerhalf
It's not awful, i almost bought the amp when i was amp searching, but it would probably be better to use the clean channel with an OD or distortion of some sort. You need to play them both, though. If the Peavey's cleans suit you, then that would be the best choice.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Anyone else?
-Fender '52 Reissue Tele
-1964 Kimberly electric
-Jay Turser Jazzbox
-Takamine acoustic
-Dano Hodad
-SuperCrybaby
-Dano Coolcat Chorus
-Big Muff
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by powerhalf
Quote by mastercad
Thanks. So I should get a Hot Rod, and use it's clean channel for the cleans, and a distortion pedal for the heavier stuff? Also, how bad is the Hot Rods OD channel?

The Hot Rod is based on the Blues Deluxe, which I think is a nicer sounding amp. The HRD is basically the same amp with an extra gain channel that I don't like too much, either. That extra circuitry seems to muddy up the tone on the cleans, too, IMHO. If you're going for a pedal anyway, the BD, I think, is the better way to go.

And for the wide range of tone you're looking for, you're going to need a pedal or two, or to look at more expensive amps.

I also prefer the Peavey Delta Blues to the Classic series. I just think it has... I don't know... an "earthier" tone. Really full sound in either the 1x15 or 2x10 version.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Thanks guys.

Between the Hot Rod Deville and the Hot Rod Deluxe, which is a better buy? Is the extra headroom on the Deville worth the extra cash?
-Fender '52 Reissue Tele
-1964 Kimberly electric
-Jay Turser Jazzbox
-Takamine acoustic
-Dano Hodad
-SuperCrybaby
-Dano Coolcat Chorus
-Big Muff
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by powerhalf
^Well, 40 watts is plenty. It will be more than enough clean headroom for most applications. If you are gonna be playing bigger sized gigs or just want the extra watts, then go for it, but im sure the deluxe will be enough. I almost bought the deville just b/c i like the 4x10 speaker set up, though. (that was before i decided on a completely different amp )

slatsmania brings up a great point, though. The Blues Deluxe/Deville reissue amps are quite nice and are very similar to the HRDs without the more drive channel (which is mediocre at best anyway). Also, the Peavey Delta Blues is a really nice amp. I've had some limited experience with it, and i really liked its clean tone.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Thanks man.

Anyone else have opinions?
-Fender '52 Reissue Tele
-1964 Kimberly electric
-Jay Turser Jazzbox
-Takamine acoustic
-Dano Hodad
-SuperCrybaby
-Dano Coolcat Chorus
-Big Muff
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by powerhalf
No problem.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Yeah, Traynor all the way. If headroom is what you want/need the Traynor YCV40 will give it too you. I am not a guy who goes out there and pushes Traynor, but I belive they are the best amp under a grand. The distortion blows the Fenders and most Marshalls out of the water, and the clean is almost identical to the Fender, which I use constantly. Overall, for the price, you should go with the Traynor, otherwise, if "BRAND NAMES" is what you are interested in, go with the Fender Coupe Deluxe.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Traynor is actually worth a look, if it's in your price range. The YVC40WR and YVC50BLUE are both worth trying. Also, if you can afford an Ampeg Reverberocket, its worth checking out, for sure.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
I second the Traynor suggestion. Best of both worlds. Very good cleans (not quite as nice as the Fenders, but close) and even better distortion. If you can afford a few extra bucks though, I'd go with the YCV50 instead of the 40. The 50 has a master volume so you can get the same tone at lower volumes.
Ok, I'll check those out. Who sells them in the US?
-Fender '52 Reissue Tele
-1964 Kimberly electric
-Jay Turser Jazzbox
-Takamine acoustic
-Dano Hodad
-SuperCrybaby
-Dano Coolcat Chorus
-Big Muff
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by powerhalf
Musicians Friend sells them relativleyeleyeee, cheap.(Sorry, I am drunk.) Otherwise, on their website they have a dealer locater on their website. So, yeah, I might post soundclips of my Traynor YCV80 on here in about a week so keep in touch.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
FINALLY...someone else having the same trouble (and pleasure) as me! That's great mate! I'm also looking for a tube amp that will have versatility to play different genres. Me to plays punk, metal, jazz (well...i want to), rock and blues. I'm thinking of getting the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with a Boss MT-2 pedal (possibly). The MT-2 sounds pretty good on the amp, but I should try more amps eventually and see if it make it more hard rock/metal like.

And I know the other "purists" here would say don't do that, go for something else. But I'm just a hobbyist and a college student! Me spending this much amount of money on an amp is already insane!!! and a few years back I would've NEVER thought of spending this much on an amp. But here we are, after a couple of years of playing guitar and my 10watt isn't satisfying me anymore.

The only problem is I get people on here saying the Fender HRD isn't all tube. But I think those are those people who have about $2000 or more on an amp and who can afford a fender twin reverb and still have money to eat. Right? I mean, the HRD is all tube and it sounds fine and it might not appeal to purists but it is a great amp. And as soon as save up a bit, I'll eventually need to get it.