I'm going to be flying on a plane with a guitar. Can I carry it on with me, or do I have to check it? I'm just afraid of stupid baggage handlers messing it up.
There's a crapload of threads on this (half of them made by me)

just do a search
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
You can use a guitar to hi-jack a plane and fly it in to the ****in' Subway restaurant on Manhatten Island.

So no, you cannot.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Get a hard case, they're usually air tight, the reason hard cases were invented is air travel.
ohhhh i thought this thread was about flying guitars

i feel so mislead.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
If your vegetarian girl harasses you about eating meat, snap back with, "Eating more entirely defenseless plants that provide us with oxygen?"

That'll shut that bitch up faster than two black eyes.

Quote by MiG_853
Get a hard case, they're usually air tight, the reason hard cases were invented is air travel.

????

I don't think most guitar cases are airtight (Not the ones sold by Gibson, Fender, Washburn, or Taylor anyway. . .)

anyway threadstarter, just to clear up any false information, you can almost always carry on your guitar, I've done it many times, there's never been even the slightest problem.

They'll either put it behind the back row of seats, or up in the first class closets.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Instruments are the only thing you can carry on the plane. I took it on a plain( two guitars) and they put the guitars in a closed for the captains. The were pretty nice actually.
Quote by MiG_853

As far as I know, no standard hard cases are airtight. And I'm pretty sure the reason they were invented was for having something to protect your guitar. And there were cases before planes, you know.
I have taken a guitar on board a million times, even in international flights. THey will always let you take it on board unless the plane is too small and it doesn't fit.
Always take it on board since if you take it down with all the bags, the instrument might deoctave (im making that word up because I don't know how to say it in english).
Just take in on board ALWAYS.
My Gear:
  • Fender Stevie Ray Vaughan (SRV) Signature guitar
  • Ibanez Jem 7VWH
  • Ibanez JS1000BP (Satch signature)
  • Marhsall TSL 122 Combo amp
  • T.C. Electronic G-System
  • Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
  • Ibanez Tube Screamer T-808
yeah dont forget to detune the guitar a lot or youre neck can be ****ed up by the pressure.
Not if they let you take it in the cabin, dummy, it's pressurized to normal (ground level).

You'd only be worried about that if they put it in the hold, and even then, I'm not entirely sure they don't pressurize the hold as well.

^That's a syntax nightmare.
Quote by Kai-7
You are the greatest. Wow. CaptainWow

Bumblebee of the Mighty Autobots. PM Kankuro to join.
UG Irish Clan - Póg mo thóin
Metals Fetishist of the"Please Sir, I want GORE" Club - UG Horror Fans and Gorehounds Unite!